Capturing ideas in the shower

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by hnortonil, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Shower Thinker

Shower Thinker Registered

Waterproof Notepads for Shower Thinkers

My wife and I are also hard core shower thinkers. We use AquaNotes a waterproof notepad for the shower. They also have an Aqua LoveNotes pad. The same concept with a red pencil for leaving love notes. You can order on-line…havent seen them in stores yet. http://www.myaquanotes.com

kjameson likes this.
  2. michelle1908

michelle1908 Registered

AquaNotes

Aqua Notes looks perfect. I added it to my someday/maybe list but think I will soon be moving it to my next action list. At $9, it will be well worth it.

3. Oso wakki

Oso wakki Registered

You can also build your own shower recorder like this guy showerpi.com.

Says there the parts should cost 42$ but should be able to do it for much less.

4. John Ismyname

John Ismyname Registered

I am so glad this thread became re-invigorated! In a previous life, I was an aspiring songwriter and always got song ideas in the shower and while driving. The portable recorder became my tool of choice in the early-mid 1980s. Despite using these devices around water, I get about a decade of use of use from them before they wear-out from constantly being in my pocket. When they are "de-commissioned", they are obsolete. Before you say, "there's an ap for that". A separate recorder can be used with one hand without looking at it while driving or walking. If it gets wet bathroom, no big deal - I paid $25 US for it from Amazon last month. Now they are basically flash memory sticks with a USB recharge, a LCD display and a few buttons.

5. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

If you don't need to write ideas down that often then just take the soap bar and write the idea on the shower stall or tile. It comes off easily and you get the bonus of cleaning the bathroom too.

TesTeq likes this.
  6. John Ismyname

John Ismyname Registered

Brilliant multitasking, Oogiem :)

7. AFG

AFG Registered

Much of Intel’s P6 OOO uarch was invented in hot water environments. Glenn Hinton was infamous for saying “I thought of it in the shower.” Back then I tended to take baths rather than showers, but similar. Recently, soaking in hot tubs. Although many if my ideas come while walking the dog - in Oregon’s cold rain, in the woods, for hours.

My Apple Watch 3 is supposedly waterproof enough to swim with. Many people shower with, but I am a bit scared. I do, however, depend on using the watch to take notes while walking. (Did I mention walking in cold Oregon rain?)

I think I may start using my watch in the bath or shower more when I get my second Apple Watch. Fear of my only watch dying in the water is too much, since I depend so much on it.

I capture things on my Apple Watch (walking dog in cold Oregon rain, in bath/hot tub, and eventually in shower) using
    A) IOS Reminders (“ Hey Siri, remind me to...” - can be totally hands free)
    B) Just Press Record (works offline, records voice, transcribes later)
    C) Drafts (online only, better than Reminders, but not so well I integrated with Siri)

I have recently started using the OneNote Watch app. But it has no widget!complication.

I tried but gave up on voice memos.

It sucks that there is no single app that I can use. No single app that hands free, voice only, offline capable, voice and transcribe, with a widget.

Drafts and JPR are better than Reminders, but require taps - which I often have to do with my muse because my hands are full. Plus, I worry about poking my devices with wet fingers.

(Oh, yeah - the way you have to twist the Watch3 crown to pump out water after getting wet sucks. Designed for use before/after swimming, but not while in the water. (I tried capturing notes by atopppig at end if land with swim workouts. Hassle.) FitBit/pebble were better in that regard, but not much good capture SW)

When I have tried capturing in bath/hottub/shower I find that I have to turn the water off. It helps to have the sort of shower faucet where you can set the mix, and then turn off/on while keeping the same water temperature mix.

I tried grease pencil pads, which I have from scuba.

Hmm, I wonder how scientists using SCUBA take notes?

I have several water resistant notebooks and pens - the sort of thing that forestry scientists and wildlife biologists use to take notes (in the cold wet Oregon rain). Also mountaineering. Work okay walking, but not in bath or shower. I prefer voice notes, because handwritten notes need to be transcribed to my computer system.

My main hope for waterlogged capture is that I will be willing to risk it when I buy a second Apple Watch, using voice.

8. AFG

AFG Registered

Grease pencil on slate, and photograph? SCUBA divers sometimes do this. Cheap waterproof camer? eg cheap waterproof phone? Old phone, WiFi only, no need for cell plan.

Fisheries biologists often have counters that they just click. Not good for capture, unless you know Morse code.

9. Gardener

Gardener Registered

Does it need to be a Watch? If you're stopping the water anyway, what about an iPod mounted on the wall just outside the shower? In theory, you can use "Hey, Siri" to record a voice memo hands-free.

AFG and TesTeq like this.
  10. Ulrica

Ulrica Registered

journalist
    I've started trying out a magnetic drawing board for this purpose. Suddenly recalled playing with one as a child and, despite the digital age, they are still on the market.

The one I had in the early 90's was much better quality (although it lacked the super hero theme...) than the cheap one I found now. At least it seems to work well enough for capturing in short bullet points. I'll post again if it turns out the water does damage to it in the long run.

11. ERJ1

ERJ1 Jedi Master

Social Studies Teacher
    What if all you shower thinkers just shouted at your spouse to write something down?

12. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

What if the spouse is in the shower with you? :D

TesTeq, ERJ1 and Longstreet like this.
  13. Longstreet

Longstreet Registered

Professor of Microbiology & Infectious Diseases
    Hmmm....I was thinking of how much I like this post and forgot my train of thought! Wait...now I remember. But it is not appropriate to leave those thoughts here....:D:D

ERJ1 and Oogiem like this.
  14. ERJ1

ERJ1 Jedi Master

Social Studies Teacher
    Ha!

In my home it's likely we might have a parrot intruding for his semi-regular bath :O

Oogiem and Longstreet like this.
  15. mcogilvie

mcogilvie Registered

I can tell you from experience that spouses are safer than parrots, because their jaw muscles are not as strong.

Longstreet, Oogiem and TesTeq like this.
  16. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

This thread just got significantly more interesting.

Oogiem and Longstreet like this.
  17. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

I can see no problem in shouting at a spouse in the shower. :D

Longstreet likes this.
  18. ERJ1

ERJ1 Jedi Master

Social Studies Teacher
    I think we've learned that most of us are very capable at getting certain things done in our bathrooms. What a productive group!

TesTeq and Oogiem like this.
  19. bcmyers2112

bcmyers2112 Registered

There are so many ways I'd like to respond to this.

TesTeq and Oogiem like this.
  20. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

But leaving it to your/our imagination is so much more fun :)

Longstreet and TesTeq like this.