Capturing tools and logistics

Broomscot

Registered
Late to the party, but has anyone looked at the Rocketbook line? Specifically, the Rocketbook mini (https://getrocketbook.com/products/rocketbook-mini). With it, you could even have your handwritten notes emailed to any number of places / destinations (Todoist inbox, Email, Onedrive, google drive, etc). I've used Rocketbooks in all forms for a number of years, and am just now returning to GTD after wandering around in the wilds of task management for the past 4 - 5 years.
Thanks for revisiting this post, @webdad. It brought to my attention the earlier posts, and the reference to Braintoss, an app I had never come across. I mostly use a paper notebook for capture, but if I only have my phone with me, or if I'm working on the laptop and don't want to switch to paper, it's great to have an app that sends everything to my email inbox for later processing. It's particularly useful because I'm a Mac user but my phone is Android, so I don't have the usual Mac/iOS integration. A lot of capture apps have their own inbox, so it's great to find one that uses my existing and frequently-used email inbox.

Hammer

Registered
Braintoss is a great app, and the developers are very responsive. I had an issue with items not being delivered part of the time. Several emails later I had a video conference call with 2 people from support (I believe one of them was a programmer) and went through troubleshooting steps. The issue was on my end and not with their system. They were very nice about the whole thing.

gtdstudente

Registered
Hello,

I am having trouble finding a decent paper capturing tool that I can bring on the move. Usually I keep a piece of paper and pencil in a bag, so I can just search around for the two. However, I noticed this process is unwieldy, as it takes around 20 seconds for me to get prepared to jot down the idea I have. An alternative I have tried is putting a small notepad in a trouser pocket along with a pencil, but how the hell to people even manage to not drop items from that, especially when sitting. I have a hunch that using pockets would greatly reduce time to capture, however, I haven't been able to make it work.

Any suggestions? (I am trying to stem away from electronic tools, so ignore those options.)

Thanks.
manynothings,

'Logistical' Rubber-Bands to keep Capturing tools together to curb the 'head-spinning' from looking/finding and not capturing?

Thank you very much

As you see GTD fit

Ps. 'Rubber-Band' even comes with a snappy tune for extra-delight in Capturing :)

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
I like this question so I applied the natural planning model. Not sure how many of these I would want to try.

# Why

My current capture tool is too slow, taking 20 seconds to get started writing.

# Principles

- No electronic capture tools
- Mustn't be easily losable

# Wild Success

I have a cool idea walking down a busy high street but I'm in a hurry. Nevertheless, It is captured within 5 seconds, all without breaking stride or getting in the way of others.

# Brainstorm / Organise

**Strategies**

- Try each appealing idea for a month, write down the pros and cons of each.
- Test how long it takes to capture in different situations.

**Make a pocket notebook harder to lose**

- Wallet chain but for notepad
- Lanyard

**Use something I already have with me**

- Notetaker wallet
- Write in permanent marker on the back of my phone, clean off with solvent at home after processing
- Phone case with built in notepad
- Ask my partner/friend/servant to take a note for me.

**Write on Myself**

- Write on my arm, use quality eyeliner pen, wash off with makeup remover.
- Whiteboard clothing. Does this exist?
- Long-sleeved T-Shirt, cut off captured items after processing. Buy cheap, write small.

**Reduce the risk of losing it by reducing the severity**

- Notepads cheap enough that losing them isn't a problem.
- Several small pads, one in each pocket
- Carry some stamped self-addressed postcards around. After capturing, mail them to myself.

# Next action

@Errands: Buy a quality eyeliner pen.
cfoley,

"Wallet chain but for notepad"

Pure Capturing GTD trust-worthy genius . . . exactly what @John was looking for? :)

Thank you very much

As you see GTD fit

Last edited:

gtdstudente

Registered
While I use Braintoss I frequently use a folded 4x6 index card stuck in my coat or pants pocket. I work for a retail company and it works well when walking a store or a distribution center.
boomer70,

When battery fails. . . .

Folded 8 1/2" x 11" copier paper into 16th's for 32 Captures . . . sufficiently sturdy for writing support and chunky enough to keep a pen/clip in place for any pocket, sock, belt-loop, hat-visor, etc. . . . all while having a very handy light-weight Capturing tool

Thank you very much

As you see GTD fit

Ps. Often use hat-visor to clip a discreet "Errand List"

Last edited: