• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Checklist for Next Actions...

I'm trying to come up with a personal checklist to use to run through when I'm about to tackle or create next action, in the same way that I have a checklist of things to do on the weekly review. I was hoping for suggestions. Here's what I was thinking:
1. The next action should be concrete...
(some ideas? are there a list of words to do or avoid? general advice).
2. Am I the right person to do this... could I delegate this to someone?
...
3. Is this to vauge or big
(what do I do here?0
 
4. That's too easy.

I've found an inverse relationship to the complexity of or aversion to a project and how granular its next action should be. At least for me, anyway.

Mark
 
Mark, can you elaborate? I think I've noticed the same thing. For example, I have a Project

"Good steering committee meeting"

a good project name (describes how it will be if succesful).

Here's an action item

"Draft steering committee presentation"

which is actually a very large project itself.
 
furashgf,

I highly reccomend Merlin's great post re: Does this “next action” belong someplace else?"

http://www.43folders.com/2004/09/does_this_8220n.html

In short, Merlin indicates few possible reasons for NA not being acted upon:

1. "It is not a single, atomic activity "
2."It is not a physical action"
3. "It is not really the very next action I need to take"
4. "It is not something I’ve actually committed to "
5. "It is poorly defined or just badly worded"
6. "It is nothing I can act on now"
7. I have no idea what this means"

HTH
 
"What is the very next thing I can do to bring this project closer to completion."

Not sure if I stole that from the book or not, but that's the question I ask myself when looking at a big miess and trying to figure out what the Next Action is.
 
Good stuff! I love Merlin's list. I have something on the order of Merlin's list in my weekly review checklist - if I'm noticing someting "growing stale" - that is a good time to do a little analysis - usually it is one of the reasons he gave.
 
furashgf said:
Mark, can you elaborate?

Sometimes my Next Actions will look like:

"Open Excel re: (name of project)"
"Open Word re: ..."

Risks being too granular, but the point is having Next Actions you're attracted to.

Mark
 
Top