• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

checklists (reference items?) in GTD applications

Are there any GTD applications which have a support for checklists?

A "checklist" is a special type of a reference item what one can link to a task/action at the Processingstage. Structurally it could be just a list of the bullet points.

Later, at the Review and Do stage one may bring that list up and use it as a reference when executing the action.

For example the "AnswerARectuiterEmailWhenNotLooking" check list could look as following:

[ ] Add a greeting (use the greeting they used)
[ ] Say thanks for their interest
[ ] Tell that I am currently not looking
[ ] Add the short signature

So every time one needs to politely respond the recruiter email one can do it easily (no analysis required) and in a consistent manner.

When I said that a checklist is a special type of a reference item I also wanted to highlight that these check lists would be mostly re-usable ("how to answer email", "how to buy something under $100", "how to buy something above $1000", etc) and not task/actions specific reference items.

I am currently shopping for a GTD application and only looked at the free (v2.1.1) version of the Thinking Rock - looks good, but it lacks the ability to link reference items to the actions.

Any applications you can recommend which do support for linking reference items to tasks/actions and if they have a support for these "special reusable checklist like" reference items - that would be just great.

Thank you.
 
TerrySw;88158 said:
Are there any GTD applications which have a support for checklists?

I use Omnifocus for most of my checklists. I created a folder with a bunch of projects with all the steps in their appropriate contexts listed. When I process one of the items to which that checklist applies I copy it into the project and make it active.
 
For the checklist I used originally the notes of outlook, as it is suggested in the outlook set-up you can find at the store. Then i moved all the stuff in toodledo, where it's called notebook and it sync with notes of ultimate, the app i use on my android device
 
Oogiem;88159 said:
I use Omnifocus for most of my checklists. I created a folder with a bunch of projects with all the steps in their appropriate contexts listed. When I process one of the items to which that checklist applies I copy it into the project and make it active.

I have read a LOT of good things about Omnifocus but I am a Windows user. I probably should have said about that earlier ...

Thank you Oogiem.

Anyone, any Windows alternatives for Omnifocus please?
 
TaskMerlin runs in windows

I think it has a lot of great features and even I am getting to understand how to make it work. And, I believe it can link to reference lists. I just don't know if it is near to being a dinosaur or why I can only find one review of it and that one seemed to be by someone looking at it, not really sing it.
 
Checkvist

I am using Checkvist for my GTD implementation. It is a web-based outline-driven system, so it is platform independent (I have the same need). You can link from list to list, so I do have projects in my master task list that link to other checklists/outlines. (I go into some detail on the product from my GTD setup articles linked in my signature.)

(Disclaimer: I do not work for Checkvist.)
 
Top