Choosing what to do - question on teleseminar topic

John_Lewis

Registered
Thank you Kelly and Meg,

In the teleseminar today, you described many of the issues that I face when "doing".

It was great to hear you start by describing the relationship between "doing" and the other kinds of activity, with "doing" as the ultimate purpose! This helpful background enhanced the discussion of the various factors involved in choosing what to do.

However, one topic was of particular interest to me, and I'd be interested to hear more suggestions on it. Meg described the issue of contexts and (the unmentionable) priorities when working from home. Other people have described this too; it seems to be an area of general difficulty. It is clear, as Kelly described, that it is a waste of effort to give attention, while at work, to important things at home. However, for people working at home, the almost immediate availability of almost everything can, in my experience, lead to two kinds of response.

One response is to assume that there are no differences in context; this can lead to large numbers of actions in each of a very small number of context lists. The other response is to create contexts which feel artificial and, possibly, to end up scheduling arbitrary blocks of time for those contexts. Neither of these seem to work well; so it can be difficult to stick with either of them, and it is easy to end up simply working (fixating) on one project at a time, until another one blows up.

An important aspect in this area seems to be that people working at home have much more control and choice of which context they are in, than people working in proximity to others. Overall, this could be expected to lead to more productivity, but it does not always work out like that. Another aspect seems to be that the contexts tend to be distinguished by internal factors within the person as much if not more than by physical location, tools available and so on.

One technique, however, seems to work quite well for me, at least some of the time; and I'd be interested in your reaction to it. When I am using this approach, I find that it is useful to define a variety of contexts, based on type of work, energy level, etc. and to put next actions of projects into lists for the appropriate context. However, rather than actions being driven by context which I largely control, I allow the motivation (or, yes, priority!) of the projects to drive the actions.

So a simple description is as follows. Pick the project whose outcome I am most "attracted to"/"driven by"/"being pushed for" ... or whatever. Identify the next action for the project; this action has been allocated to a context. "Go to"/"get into" that context and do the action, but also do a few other actions (from other projects) in the same context while there. Pick the next action on the selected project and so on (lather, rinse, repeat!).

The effect is that the selected project moves along very well, but also a variety of other projects seem to move along with little extra effort.

You are likely to have seen this kind of approach in use, so I'd be interested in your reaction to it and the difficulties that might arise. Of course, I am also interested in other approaches that you recommend for dealing with the "working at home with no obvious context boundaries" issue.

Thanks again,
John

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Question about Outlook & iPhone synching

A member wrote after the teleseminar:

Dear Kelly & Meg,

I really enjoyed the Teleconference. I have known about GTD for about 3 years but have just gotten back to practicing the principles recently. I joined GTD Connect and it has made all the difference in moving forward. The GTD connect web archives and the weekly getting started emails I get have been the biggest help in getting going and modifying the program to meet my needs.

I have been using Outlook (following the white paper implementation) and the tasks function for my next actions lists and find that very useful but I feel I need to have better access to my lists from my PDA ( I use an I-Phone) The last caller you had on the teleconference –Gene- mentioned he used Outlook and an I-phone also. I was wondering if you knew what method of access he uses or those that are available for I-phone users. Thank you for your help.

Kerry

There are a few options for iPhone to Outlook synching. KeyTasks by Chapura and Toodledo are popular ones. There's also tons of Forum traffic on this topic if you put in "iPhone" as a keyword in the Search box (top right corner). Hope this helps!

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Another member email we received with some tips that work for him on completed items and choosing:
Hi Meg & Kelly,

I really enjoyed the GTD Connect teleseminar today. Thanks.

After listening to some of your callers – I have a few thoughts that may help you with your clients who work in large bureaucratic organizations. As a highly creative and sensitive person myself, I have found that organizing my “do” around context and energy, I can make a huge impact.

Completed Items:
I agree – keep track of your projects when they complete – all the more reason to name your projects with the end in mind. “Kevin Landed an Awesome Career”. In e big corporate world, I can see the need to preserve some of the “completed tasks” – especially for controversial decisions and for orgs that are heavy in politics. For this, unfortunately, there have been times where I will create a CYA folder to put decisions, emails and/or replies to completed projects/tasks just in case, at the end of the year, someone tries to use this against my team. At the end of the year, I usually delete this folder during the yearly purge, but I first make sure that there are no politicians gearing up to try and take credit for my work and/or circumvent the consultative decisions I made as the leader. I also keep a “Kudos” folder for the same reasons… when my team hits a home run, I put the trophy in this Kudos folder (or list) to remind management later.

Context:
Who was that connect member (the architect)? I can totally resonate with his views on using the creative energy when it comes. Sometimes I will switch priority of time available and energy to take advantage of creative bursts by renegotiating my “time available” if the task I should be working on is a low energy task. You’ve got to surf the energy wave when it comes.

Speaking of a good wave…I gotta go, Cowabunga!

Cheers, Kevin

Barb

Registered
When?

Man, I had to miss your teleseminar today! I was driving back from Houston and didn't have good enough cell coverage to hook in.

I know you've just barely finished, but could you give us an idea when it will be available through Connect/ITunes?

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Should be just a few days

I need to cut it up into tracks then send to the IT team to load it on the server.
So hopefully just a few days!

megedwards

GTD Connect
John_Lewis;66519 said:
Thank you Kelly and Meg,

In the teleseminar today, you described many of the issues that I face when "doing".

It was great to hear you start by describing the relationship between "doing" and the other kinds of activity, with "doing" as the ultimate purpose! This helpful background enhanced the discussion of the various factors involved in choosing what to do.

However, one topic was of particular interest to me, and I'd be interested to hear more suggestions on it. Meg described the issue of contexts and (the unmentionable) priorities when working from home. Other people have described this too; it seems to be an area of general difficulty. It is clear, as Kelly described, that it is a waste of effort to give attention, while at work, to important things at home. However, for people working at home, the almost immediate availability of almost everything can, in my experience, lead to two kinds of response.

One response is to assume that there are no differences in context; this can lead to large numbers of actions in each of a very small number of context lists. The other response is to create contexts which feel artificial and, possibly, to end up scheduling arbitrary blocks of time for those contexts. Neither of these seem to work well; so it can be difficult to stick with either of them, and it is easy to end up simply working (fixating) on one project at a time, until another one blows up.

An important aspect in this area seems to be that people working at home have much more control and choice of which context they are in, than people working in proximity to others. Overall, this could be expected to lead to more productivity, but it does not always work out like that. Another aspect seems to be that the contexts tend to be distinguished by internal factors within the person as much if not more than by physical location, tools available and so on.

One technique, however, seems to work quite well for me, at least some of the time; and I'd be interested in your reaction to it. When I am using this approach, I find that it is useful to define a variety of contexts, based on type of work, energy level, etc. and to put next actions of projects into lists for the appropriate context. However, rather than actions being driven by context which I largely control, I allow the motivation (or, yes, priority!) of the projects to drive the actions.

So a simple description is as follows. Pick the project whose outcome I am most "attracted to"/"driven by"/"being pushed for" ... or whatever. Identify the next action for the project; this action has been allocated to a context. "Go to"/"get into" that context and do the action, but also do a few other actions (from other projects) in the same context while there. Pick the next action on the selected project and so on (lather, rinse, repeat!).

The effect is that the selected project moves along very well, but also a variety of other projects seem to move along with little extra effort.

You are likely to have seen this kind of approach in use, so I'd be interested in your reaction to it and the difficulties that might arise. Of course, I am also interested in other approaches that you recommend for dealing with the "working at home with no obvious context boundaries" issue.

Thanks again,
John

John,

Can you tell me what kinds of context lists you are referring to. Even though I work from home, I still have a calls, computer, computer on line, office (which is for actions that I need to do in my home office) home ( for actions that I need to do in the rest of the house). On these lists are actions that I need to do to move my projects forward. And, some of these actions are to move my areas of focus forward even and I don't have any projects to them. For example, my Dad is an area of focus and on my calls list I have to call him about this weekend and helping him with the boats.. No project here just an action. At one time however, I didn't have my lists by context meaning I had my agendas, waiting for, projects and someday list but my "context" list at that time were personal and professional. During the day I either was working on personal or professional actions and I wanted them separated.

Did that answer your question?

Thanks!

Meg

Barb

Registered
In case nobody has told you this lately, you're doing a FANTASTIC job with Connect! I really feel like I'm getting my money's worth since you took it over.

Also glad to see John back on the Forum, and that he's still there.

Oogiem

Registered
John_Lewis;66519 said:

Brilliant!

I'm going to try that myself as I'm in exactly that situation right now, lots of projects not moving forward at all because I can't really decide on a context to be in and all are available. Home is work is home. My main next action is walking the pastures every hour or so looking for lambs. Beyond that which has to happen no matter what I'm not getting much of anything else done. Found myself playing endless games of solitaire rather than doing.

So I'm going to see if your approach helps me get moving on my important projects again.

mcogilvie

Registered
I missed the live teleseminar, so I'll have to wait for the recording, but this is an area I've been thinking about. Some of the methods for choosing actions people have suggested rotating through include

oldest on list (FIFO)
newest on list (LIFO)
most attractive (do what you love)
most repulsive (eat the frog)
most important action (big rocks)
quick and easy actions (low hanging fruit)

but frankly just these six choices overload my poor brain sometimes.
Please tell me that the teleseminar will enlighten me!

Pav

Registered
are you expecting one-fits-all solution on what to do? Heh. David says there's only you who knows what to do. Or I didn't get what you meant?

Pav

Registered
I like John Lewis' approach for those who don't want to be driven by latest and loudest like contexts. If I choose the actions by the contexts then I would end up leaving in my office (@office context) with projects stuck at the same point where started. It looks wise to act on the most important project always and use the actions on the lists as addition to that project. For example, to move customer project A (worth 2 million usd) I need to assign a meeting with that customer. When done, I can make a few calls from the next action lists while driving to that meeting.

On the other hand there's another approach when you do everything on your lists as you decided to do it anyway during your weekly review. In that context it doesn't really matter what's more important if you intend to do that all sooner or later.

What's better? Any thoughts on John's idea from DA coaches?

John_Lewis

Registered
Barb,

Barb;66532 said:
Also glad to see John back on the Forum, and that he's still there.

If you are referring to me, then thank you! That is very kind.

I have not gone away, just ... not taking full advantage of my Connect membership!

All the best,
John

Dean K

Registered
iPhone sync with Outlook 2007

Kerry,

In response to your question regarding what I use for Outlook sync - I have been using "Key Tasks", by Chapura. Key Tasks is an outstanding solution for Outlook task syncronization. Key Tasks will also sync your catagories and notes from each task to and from Outllook.

Dean

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Pav, you wrote: What's better? Any thoughts on John's idea from DA coaches?

Whatever approach gets you to complete it, is the best approach in that moment, for that choice, and for that outcome.

The reason for splitting up by context is because that's the first limiting criteria for choosing. But there's an elegant & intuitive combination here of context, time available, resources and priority. Many times, you will have choices of lots of contexts, good chunk of time available, and good energy so priority will need to be a factor. That might be when you choose to pick and choose by priority. When I'm scanning my @Computer list (which yesterday had 69 items), I am sometimes choosing based on highest leverage projects (GTD Interactive launch would be high priority for me right now), and other times I might be choosing based on what I know I can get quick completion on.

Sometimes I'll just go to my Projects list and scan down to see which one I should be taking action on, and go do that.

Really, lots of approaches can work for choosing/slicing/dicing your lists, as long as it helps you get things done with the least amount of effort and attention as possible.

Jon Walthour

Registered
kelstarrising;66587 said:
Whatever approach gets you to complete it, is the best approach in that moment, for that choice, and for that outcome.

So, Kelly, are you saying that we can miss the forest for the trees and forget that the ultimate goal here is the doing?

Jon Walthour

Registered
kelstarrising;66594 said:
Let's just say, that many-a-GTD'er (myself included) has gotten tangled in the Science of GTD and not the Art of GTD.

That's a striking thought: "GTD ... it's an Art, not a science"

Pav

Registered
Kelly, thanks for the explanation. That really explains a lot. When context, time, energy, and priority are not limiting factors then there's no need using them as limitatations. So sometimes when all of them equal it's wise just to do the next actions.

GTDWorks

Registered
This has been a very helpful post - thanks!

Love Kelly's observation:

"Let's just say, that many-a-GTD'er (myself included) has gotten tangled in the Science of GTD and not the Art of GTD."

Way too easy to get caught up in the science of GTD!

Barb

Registered
Great Teleseminar!

I did my second listen today of the "Choosing What to Do" podcast. Excellent! Meg and Kelly, you make a fantastic team. The way you each played off what the other was saying brought a casual and conversational tone...and that's always easy to listen to.

Thanks so much!