Clarify - Physical Document

aks

Registered
Hi,

I'm new to the GTD Methodology. I understand what to do with digital documents and where to put them, but what do I do with physical documents?

For example, I'm given a hard copy of a workbook to review. When I clarify, I know my next step is to read and make edits. If I'm organizing it digitally I'd put it in the @Office category, however, it's a physical document.

Do you have another bin for physical documents that you need to get to?

Thanks

Oogiem

Registered
For example, I'm given a hard copy of a workbook to review. When I clarify, I know my next step is to read and make edits. If I'm organizing it digitally I'd put it in the @Office category, however, it's a physical document.
I would put the action item "Review workbook" in my @office context list with a note ""workbook stored in paper action support folder" Or "workbook stored in paper folder for project X" If the item is part of a one off or project that have' have any other paper support material I put it in a single large Action Support folder. If the item is part of a larger project it goes in my folder for that project. If the item isn't even paper but is some other physical thing it will go wherever appropriate and my context lists will tell me where the thing is.

For example:
New pants ready to wear is the project The note says the pants are in the Shop on my sewing table.
Actions are
hem new pants
put in new waistband on new pants
Or another:
Project is Ram Harness cleaned and the action is remove the old marker crayons from ram breeding harness and the note is harness hanging on the horse tack tree in the garage.

Does that help?

aks

Registered
That does help, thank you. If you were home then you'd have a separate action support folder for the home, right?

Oogiem

Registered
That does help, thank you. If you were home then you'd have a separate action support folder for the home, right?
In general yes, I live and work at the same place so I have only one action support folder for paper, and one for electronic one off items in DEVONThink

ggray50

Registered
Or do what DA does - have a separate read/review tray. The physical item itself is the reminder, so it doesn't need to be put on a list.

Oogiem

Registered
Or do what DA does - have a separate read/review tray. The physical item itself is the reminder, so it doesn't need to be put on a list.
Red Review is something else to me. I have about 2 feet of shelf space for books and magazines I want to read. But that's not Action Support nor it is an Inbox, it's already curated items and if anything I'd call it project support for my Voracious Reader project which has a goal of at least 76 books a year with 64 being new, never read before books, 12 being re-reads of old favorites plus a dozen short stories a year.

bcmyers2112

Registered
There's no one right way to handle physical documents, except the one that's right for you. You'll have to determine for yourself how you need to be reminded of actions involving such materials. That may require some trial-and-error.

Since that's high-level and abstract, let me give you a concrete example based on my own experience. When I first implemented GTD, I dedicated one of my stacking trays for actionable hardcopy documents. I thought it would be redundant to add them to my next actions list in my digital list organizer, so I did not. What I found was that I would forget to check the tray with the actionable documents, and when I did I would struggle in some cases to remember what the hell some of those documents were and what the action related to them was. So I would have to re-process and re-decide about many of these documents every time I engaged with the stack. Obviously, that's not workable. So I began adding these things the appropriate action list (which for me was "at office" for stuff at the office and "at home" for the stuff at home -- my roles are pretty easy to manage so my system is not rocket science) and found this solution much easier.

Based on a suggestion in an online article or blog post authored by Kelly Forrister, I dedicated yet another of my stacking trays to magazines and other "nice-to-read" documents. I treat that as a "read/review" tray. What distinguishes these from the actionable documents tray is that if I don't get to read/reviews before they go stale (like a current events magazine that gets so old it's no longer worth reading) there's no real harm done; I can just recycle them.

So there you have it, right. Based on what bcmyers2112 and Kelly Forrister say, this is the way to handle it. Problem solved.

No. Not so fast.

@ggray50's suggestion is just as valid. If you find it easier to use the physical document as your primary reminder, you might resist putting them in your next actions list. It might create the kind of friction that causes you to resist using your system. In that case, it would make more sense to have a stacking tray (or something like that) to hold all physical documents that are actionable, whether those are documents related to a project or magazines you want to read. You many not even need (or want) to segregate important documents from casual reading.

It all depends on how your mind works, as well as the nature of your profession and lifestyle. @Oogiem's system is similar to mine but much more elaborate; then again, she is a farmer with activities that take place in multiple locations throughout her farming operation. The simplicity of my system is likely inadequate for her needs; her system is almost certainly more elaborate than would benefit me.

At some point before this thread runs its course someone might come up with yet another valid suggestion. I'd suggest keeping your mind open to what is suggested, but let your experience be the actual guide for choosing a solution.