Confusion between Project Titles, Outcomes and Purpose in the Natural Planning Model

Nerevar

Registered
Hello Everyone,

It's my first post here!

I started to implement GTD for a few weeks now relying on some online courses. Since this got me so many benefits and I wanted to deep deeper and decided to get a copy GTD book (2015 Edition). I particularly got interested in the Natural Planning Model and found these interesting articles and templates on the Evernote blog to get me started but this led me to a lot of confusion. I hope you can help me clear them out

In the Evernote article, the author asks to name the project in a way that describes done, like Complete The Monthly Report but also demands that we give the project an outcome. These both seem the same to me plus in GTD Book there is no project title only outcomes and purpose. Can one help me clear this out?

What's the difference between purpose and outcome in this model? They seem at the same time similar and different.!

Is the next action selected from the organized tasks done in the earlier phases?

If you have any example of a project done using this method I would love to see it.

Thanks

mcogilvie

Registered
Projects usually have an underlying purpose and a desired outcome. This weekend I removed our old stereo system from the living room. The purpose was to make better use of valuable space. The desired outcome was “Old stereo removed.” Because that is short enough to fit on a list, it was also the title. Sometimes the desired outcome is too long for that.

A current project should have at least one next action. In the project support material for a project, you may have possible next actions, ideas, possibilities, dreams and maybe a nightmare you want to avoid. You may have a GANTT chart. If you finish one next action and know intuitively what you want to do next, that’s fine. If you need to do a two-hour review of the project plan to figure out what’s next, then do it, or schedule it on your calendar, or put it on a next action list. The natural planning model is a tool for planning, and not a blueprint.