Could you kindly provide an explanation of the purpose of the "@agendas" tag in the context of GTD?

leslieking

Registered
I have the following contexts:

Place:
@home
@work
@office
@errands
@anywhere

Tool:
@computer
@phone
@email

Person:
@friend
@colleague
@agendas

I recall from David Allen's book that the "@agendas" tag could be used for meetings, though there's a chance I might be mistaken. It's been some time since I last read the book, and being a non-native speaker, I acknowledge the possibility of misinterpreting it. Can the "agendas" tag serve as a catch-all category for tracking interactions involving individuals who aren't necessarily friends or colleagues?

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
Sure! I use my agenda list for whatever person or meeting I need to collect stuff for whenever I find myself in that meeting or with that person.

TesTeq

Registered
I recall from David Allen's book that the "@agendas" tag could be used for meetings, though there's a chance I might be mistaken. It's been some time since I last read the book, and being a non-native speaker, I acknowledge the possibility of misinterpreting it. Can the "agendas" tag serve as a catch-all category for tracking interactions involving individuals who aren't necessarily friends or colleagues?
@zoltankr In 1980s when the GTD methodology was being developed by David Allen it was convenient to have as few lists as possible in the paper planner. So the Agendas list was invented to store all the issues to be discussed with different people. Though the one Agendas list is still promoted in the official GTD guides, IMHO it makes no sense to create it when you can use tags for specific individuals.
So my advice is: use Next Action tags for contexts (WaitingFor, places, tools, and people) if your app supports them. If you're going to talk to somebody simply search for all Next Actions with this person's tag attached to create a dynamic Agenda list.

zedd

GTD|Connect
An agenda is just another context, and a context is just a set of (notionally physical) circumstances that limit your available options. I'd restrict @agendas to specific people / groups you see frequently, and I'd use agendas when the next action can wait until the next scheduled or happenstance interaction, otherwise I'd tag the next action with some other context. Here's one way to re-scope the example contexts you provided:

Contexts:
@agenda-"colleague #1 interactions"
@agenda-"colleauge #2 interactions"
@agenda-"friend #1 interactions"
@agenda-"freind #2 interactions"
@agenda-"manager syncs"
@agenda-"staff meetings"
@anywhere
@calls
@errands
@home
@online