'Current actions' vs 'Next actions'?

Gardener

Registered
Searching the Kindle version of the book, I see the phrase "current actions" used (as I understand the text) to refer to the group of Next Actions currently defined in your system.

mcogilvie

Registered
Searching the Kindle version of the book, I see the phrase "current actions" used (as I understand the text) to refer to the group of Next Actions currently defined in your system.
“Current actions” is used 6 times as a synonym for next actions. The phrase “next action” occurs several times in every chapter. It seems clear David Allen was simply trying to vary the phrasing.

TesTeq

Registered
“Current actions” is used 6 times as a synonym for next actions. The phrase “next action” occurs several times in every chapter. It seems clear David Allen was simply trying to vary the phrasing.
@mcogilvie I think @DavidAllen uses the word "current" to mean "existing now", "present on the GTD lists". So there are "current actions" on the Ground level (ie. Next Actions present on the @context lists) and "current projects" on the Horizon 1 level (ie. active Projects on the Projects lists).

GTDUser

Registered
current actions and next actions are both lists. Both hold actionable items. Current actions list actionable items which haven't been assigned to any project list yet. Next actions list actionable items which may or may not be assigned to a project.

The difference is that for the former project assignment hasn't been decided yet, while for the latter assignment is completed.

Last edited:

Gardener

Registered
current actions and next actions are both lists. Both hold actionable items. Current actions list actionable items which haven't been assigned to any project list yet. Next actions list actionable items which may or may not be assigned to a project.

The difference is that for the former project assignment hasn't been decided yet, while for the latter assignment is completed.
This is not how I see it. Items that haven't been assigned to a project are, IMO, unprocessed Inbox items.

Edited to add: Well, items that haven't been assigned to a project "yet" would be, IMO, unprocessed, because the implication is that they will eventually be assigned to a project.