David Allen at The Do Lectures - great lecture!

TesTeq

Registered
It is a really great lecture! David Allen describes the essence of GTD. Listen carefully, listen twice until you get it.

Dave John

Registered
I had a long day here in work yesterday (14 ½ hours) and I got to listen to all of the available Do lectures, including David’s. The speakers really capture what it feels like to be at the other side of a major accomplished project, the "Big Do".

There are some amazing lectures there – but if you are short of time make sure you listen to Maggie Doyne (David refers to her a few times in his talk) – hers is an awesome story.

Several weird coincidences have occurred over the last two weeks with me and GTD, and Maggie was part of one of them; I was re-listening to “Ready for Anything” and David describes how we can be our own executive system; so I wrote a note to myself: “My executive system – brainstorm like an idealistic 16 year old. Process later”.

Right at the end of her talk when Maggie was summing up she described that youthful sense of possibility, and said that at 23 she can already see how she is starting to lose it, and that we must take care to never let it slip away. She really helped me “see myself doing” idealistic 16 year old visioning.

As usual when listening to David's public talks or interviews, I try to hear it through the ears of his frist-time listeners. The enticing hooks he throws out must seem like light at the end of the tunnel for them; and at the same time I find that he is always finding new ways to rephrase the basics principals that help me more fully appreciate them.

For example, I was really taken by his “itch” metaphor; you scratch the most noticeable itch and then you realize that there was another one there all along; you scratch that one and realize that there was another deeper but less obvious one underneath – a great metaphor for finding out what is REALLY on your mind at the higher levels.

Dave

Link to the lectures:

DAvid http://thedolectures.co.uk/speakers/speakers-2010/david-allen

maggie http://thedolectures.co.uk/speakers/speakers-2010/maggie-doyne

DavidRParker

Registered
Just spent a lovely half hour with the nicest most inspiring guy!

David

I've just watched your talk at the Do lectures.

It was lovely hear the whole story crystalised into half an hour - powerful stuff!

My very best wishes

David

Barb

Registered
Maggie too

Yes, David's talk was very good. I do hope everyone will take the time to listen to Maggie's talk as well. I was absolutely blown away! Thanks for recommending that, Dave John!

Dave John;82795 said:
I had a long day here in work yesterday (14 ½ hours) and I got to listen to all of the available Do lectures, including David’s. The speakers really capture what it feels like to be at the other side of a major accomplished project, the "Big Do".

There are some amazing lectures there – but if you are short of time make sure you listen to Maggie Doyne (David refers to her a few times in his talk) – hers is an awesome story.

Several weird coincidences have occurred over the last two weeks with me and GTD, and Maggie was part of one of them; I was re-listening to “Ready for Anything” and David describes how we can be our own executive system; so I wrote a note to myself: “My executive system – brainstorm like an idealistic 16 year old. Process later”.

Right at the end of her talk when Maggie was summing up she described that youthful sense of possibility, and said that at 23 she can already see how she is starting to lose it, and that we must take care to never let it slip away. She really helped me “see myself doing” idealistic 16 year old visioning.

As usual when listening to David's public talks or interviews, I try to hear it through the ears of his frist-time listeners. The enticing hooks he throws out must seem like light at the end of the tunnel for them; and at the same time I find that he is always finding new ways to rephrase the basics principals that help me more fully appreciate them.

For example, I was really taken by his “itch” metaphor; you scratch the most noticeable itch and then you realize that there was another one there all along; you scratch that one and realize that there was another deeper but less obvious one underneath – a great metaphor for finding out what is REALLY on your mind at the higher levels.

Dave

Link to the lectures:

DAvid http://thedolectures.co.uk/speakers/speakers-2010/david-allen

maggie http://thedolectures.co.uk/speakers/speakers-2010/maggie-doyne

BjornLjunggren

Registered
My Idol

I have to admit that David Allen is my idol. But it feels good to have an idol when you are a grown up. It gets me happy and I get connected to the teenager inside of me (the fun part).

I havn't had an idol for a long time, but Dave opened up the floodgates and I now call a lot of my friends "my idols" too. They usually blush and laugh it off, but they get happy and it made a difference.

This "idol"-phase would never had happened without GTD. When "everything" is clear and current you can really start to play again. This is what I think he spoke about at the end of the Do-lecture that "GTD is not really about GTD it is about the free space it creates".

Thanks for the links, I'll watch them again now...:D