David Allen interviewed by Dave Edwards

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
In another chat with David Allen, Dave Edwards asks about the Mind Sweep. How often to do it? What to do with the results? David replies and explores what happens when a team or a couple does a Mind Sweep. Later they discuss how to clarify and organize what has shown up in the Mind Sweep. This includes a tip from David about how to get unstuck when trying to figure out what to do with something you've captured. David also points out the reason that people don't engage with what's on their lists.

Finally, Dave asks David what he's been reading lately, and we get a look at David's bookshelf.

Video

Audio

Shady Waxwing

Registered
In another chat with David Allen, Dave Edwards asks about the Mind Sweep. How often to do it? What to do with the results? David replies and explores what happens when a team or a couple does a Mind Sweep. Later they discuss how to clarify and organize what has shown up in the Mind Sweep. This includes a tip from David about how to get unstuck when trying to figure out what to do with something you've captured. David also points out the reason that people don't engage with what's on their lists.
When I got to David's reason people don't engage with what's on their lists, I stopped the playback at 17:21 and began a review of my next actions. I edited several based on David's answer. What a terrific tune-up!

Last edited:

thomasbk

Registered
I've enjoyed @Dave Edwards conversations with @DavidAllen. But this conversation was particularly exciting as it was the first time I heard David say it's OK to collapse contexts. (Sorry if I've missed it before. That's the value in revisiting things.) I started doing GTD when the book was originally published and faithfully used the contexts. But I soon abandoned them because @phone, @computer, @office, and @home all blended together thanks to the PalmPilot (#RIP) in my pocket. I haven't used contexts since.

"If it's in your head, it's in the wrong place. That's canonical GTD. How you do it do, where you do it, how often you look at it, what you do it with … as long as your comfortable and feeling confident about what you're doing then you're doing as much GTD as you need to do."

@mettlerr asked about the value of GTD Connect. I believe these interviews with David make a strong case for membership.

Dave Edwards

Registered
I've enjoyed @Dave Edwards conversations with @DavidAllen. But this conversation was particularly exciting as it was the first time I heard David say it's OK to collapse contexts. (Sorry if I've missed it before. That's the value in revisiting things.) I started doing GTD when the book was originally published and faithfully used the contexts. But I soon abandoned them because @phone, @computer, @office, and @home all blended together thanks to the PalmPilot (#RIP) in my pocket. I haven't used contexts since.

"If it's in your head, it's in the wrong place. That's canonical GTD. How you do it do, where you do it, how often you look at it, what you do it with … as long as your comfortable and feeling confident about what you're doing then you're doing as much GTD as you need to do."

@mettlerr asked about the value of GTD Connect. I believe these interviews with David make a strong case for membership.
Thanks for the kind words about my conversations with David Allen. I’m especially interested in how he has tinkered with the system that he first wrote about in his book.

Dave

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Dave, these interviews with David are just incredible! And so very helpful. Thanks so much for doing this. If I ever can be of help with these, please do not hesitate to reach out. Cheers!

Last edited: