David Allen on the Value of Alone Time

Ger80C

Registered
Valuable input, as always. I do a version of this, using an old-school analogue "Tracker list" to trigger some thoughts on how the day went and nudge my future self to do better the next day. But this form of free-floating, semi-meditative "being" is a whole other game, and one that I shall try to pursue, too. Maybe the counterpart to a morning mind sweep?

To many more two- or five-minute Tips, @DavidAllen :)

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
This is so very important for all of us to do. I heartily recommend it. I also like to do this while walking outside.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
This feels like a corollary to what Meg used to say — when you're at your most stressed and overwhelmed is when you most need to do a review.
Exactly. I remember someone I interviewed saying that during a relative's health crisis he did daily reviews, and that kept him on top of a rapidly changing situation.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Some of my best ‘think clearly’ moments is when I'm flying. Alone. 30,000 feet. I land refreshed and often with a new perspective on my work, life, etc.”
Agreed. Some of my deepest weekly reviews have been on long flights, where I let myself spend more time on the Get Creative steps at the end.