David's comment on using a Journal in the Staying in the Driver Seat teleseminar.

mavakil

Registered
Dear David,

Thank you for another nice tele-seminar. My personal best takeback from this seminar was learning that you find immense value in beginning the day by writing in your journal. I have personally been meaning to do the same for almost two years now, but have not been able to crack down to the right routine or tools.

David I would be highly grateful if you could share with us your journal writing process. Few questions that come to mind are:

- Do you use a regular diary, or a journalling software?
- Are there routine questions that you ask yourself when putting your thoughts down?
- Do you find yourself taking notes in your note-taker wallet to later store in your journal?
- What instances do you find yourself referring back to your journal. Do you flip through it every weekly review.
- What about the entries that are several months/years old. Do you find yourself referring to those?
- Any other tips, tricks, notes on journalling would be lovely.

Thanks so much for sharing from your personal systems David. They really do help in refining our own processes.

Warm wishes from Bangalore,
Arif
Ps. Hope I'm not getting too personal with my questions.
PPs. I'm posting this in the forum so that all can benefit from the reply.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Journaling questions

Hi Arif,

These are great questions. David may not answer quickly, since he's got the book launch coming up. I just wanted you to know you were heard. Either David will post answers himself, or I'll ask him and then post what he says. Could be a couple of weeks, so thanks for your patience.

- John

mavakil

Registered
Hi John,

Thanks so much for responding in the interim. Inshallah, the book launch will go splendidly! :)

Am awaiting David's reply, meanwhile for others who have chanced upon this thread, I have adopted the below journal writing routine over the past week or so:

- I'm Using a regular blank paged spiral bound notebook with perforated sheets as my journal.
- I have my journal writing routine at a coffee shop in the morning on my way to work.
- I put down any thoughts that are banging in my head, no particular order.
- Before closing my writing session I ask myself, "What would I like true by the end of the day?" And I write that down.

So far this process has been quite cathartic and am experiencing a brand new level of focus. I don't push myself to be that regular to write everyday. But when I want to, I have my journal handy.

Hope to refine this even further after I hear from David. :)

Take care fellow GTD-ers (David and John in particular),

Keep smiling :)
Arif

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
David's replies to journal questions

Hi Arif -- here are David's replies to the journal questions.

- I journal in a hand-written notebook, in pen and ink, and I have another in MS Word on the computer.
- My digital journal is more a mind-sweep about current events; my hand-written one is more about inner reflections and awarenesses. No particular questions, other than, what's on my mind? What would I like to have on my mind?
- I don't write other notes from notetaker into journal
- I hardly ever review the journal until at least a year later, and even then on only rare occasions when the urge strikes me

All the best to you in your journal adventures!

mavakil;62544 said:
Dear David,

Thank you for another nice tele-seminar. My personal best takeback from this seminar was learning that you find immense value in beginning the day by writing in your journal. I have personally been meaning to do the same for almost two years now, but have not been able to crack down to the right routine or tools.

David I would be highly grateful if you could share with us your journal writing process. Few questions that come to mind are:

- Do you use a regular diary, or a journalling software?
- Are there routine questions that you ask yourself when putting your thoughts down?
- Do you find yourself taking notes in your note-taker wallet to later store in your journal?
- What instances do you find yourself referring back to your journal. Do you flip through it every weekly review.
- What about the entries that are several months/years old. Do you find yourself referring to those?
- Any other tips, tricks, notes on journalling would be lovely.

Thanks so much for sharing from your personal systems David. They really do help in refining our own processes.

Warm wishes from Bangalore,
Arif
Ps. Hope I'm not getting too personal with my questions.
PPs. I'm posting this in the forum so that all can benefit from the reply.

mavakil

Registered
David, thank you so much for your replies. As always with every snippet of yours I always take back something invaluable. This time it's asking myself the question, "What would I like to have on my mind?" Thanks again!

Special thanks to you John, for following up and ensuring that my question gets answer. Cheers!
Arif