David's latest newsletter What belt are you at?

Mardo

Registered
What do you think of David's latest newsletter where he sets out the markers for what kind of "belt" you are at with Getting things done. I love it. I like to have markers that I can strive for. Where do you think you are now? I put myself inbetween Green and Brown.

A

Anonymous

Belt Testing Newsletter Quote

I got the newsletter in an email on Wednesday. Here is the part about what belt...

“READY TO TEST FOR YOUR BELT?”

Lately some rather sophisticated people have asked me what I initially thought was a rather unsophisticated question: “How do I know what belt I’m at?” In other words, in the martial art of workflow, they wanted to know how well they were doing – how far they were from earning the coveted black belt in the Getting Things Done school of self management. One, a senior engineer, said, “David, you keep referring to ‘black belt’ and several of the attributes it signifies. There must be some way to determine how far along we might be in that continuum.” Though he excused his curiosity in the matter to his system-oriented mindset, I realized he had a good point. When I studied karate, the belt rankings were highly useful as milestones, often motivating me to keep going when I would hit plateaus in my training during which I wasn’t very aware of my progress. As I went from white to green to brown belt rankings over the course of four years, I could sense the next level up as a reachable step, when black belt would seem too elusive a goal.

So for those of you who may share that interest in some kind of marker for determining your rank, I’ll proffer a set of characteristics for the belts.

White Belt

You’ve recognized the art of workflow management as something to get personally better at. White belt is actually a rank to be proud of – it means you’ve begun, which puts you ahead of those who are not conscious of, or not interested in, improving your game. You’ve had a taste of what it’s like to clear the decks, with perhaps a Mind Sweep and an initial gathering of things that have your attention in your work area and maybe at home as well. You’ve become more conscious of your in-basket as a place to toss still unprocessed stuff. You’re writing things down a little more than you previously did, a little more consistently. You’ve made a stab at setting up some sort of list-management tool and structure.

Green Belt

You’ve got some lists that you use regularly, and you’re comfortable with your system for some basic things. A self-management tool is with you most of the time. You’ve tasted the thrill of zero in your e-mail in-basket a few times. You’ve set up a workable paper-based filing system, and have a labeler you use yourself. You’ve purged and organized at least one major “black hole” storage area at work or at home. You’ve actually done one relatively thorough Weekly Review and tasted the accompanying on-top-and-in-charge feeling. You’ve started to swear by the Two-Minute Rule. You’ve got some sort of portable note-taking device you’re actually using now and then. You try to convince people around you how cool all this stuff is and that they should do it too. “What are we trying to accomplish?” and “What’s the next action?” are creeping into your operational vocabulary with others at work.

Brown Belt

You don’t hesitate to write things down, even when old-fashioned people around you aren’t. You no longer need a reminder to get your head empty regularly. You’re doing “Monthly Weekly Reviews.” Home and office are equally under control. “List maker” is no longer a pejorative. No notes are left on legal pads. E-mail is a zero at least once a week. Processing your paper in-basket is actually fun, most of the time. You have a “Projects” list that is probably 75% complete and current. In the dentist’s office, you have your own reading material. You’ve stopped interrupting people around you for non-emergency communications, choosing e-mail or notes into their in-baskets instead. You’re feeling comfortable with a big list of undone actions. You’ve set up a Someday/Maybe list and have moved items there from your Projects lists, and vice-versa. You don’t share your labeler. All paper-based reference that won’t stand up by itself is in your files, and you actually like to file stuff. You’re somewhat intolerant of those who don’t exercise the same best practices. You’ve started some good checklists. You know what to do with almost everything. Your next-action lists are actually next actions, not small sub-projects. A majority of your focus is thinking about your stuff instead of of it. “What are we trying to accomplish?” and “What’s the next action?” are creeping into your operational vocabulary with others at home.

Black Belt

You have to look at your Calls list to know whom you have to call. You trust your intuitive prioritizing all day long. You can’t stand not doing a complete Weekly Review, and you’re operationally squeaky clean at least every couple of weeks. Your review time regularly takes you down constructive rabbit trails of creative thinking, decision-making, and idea generation. You no longer complain about lack of quality thinking time. You can leave a mountain of stuff in your in-basket and still have a good time, confident it’s all in a trusted system and will get tackled soon enough. You’re using speed keys instead of your mouse. You create useful temporary checklists on a whim. You’re willing to tackle thinking about any project or situation on call. All of your reference files have been reviewed within the last year. Your systems are completely accessible, functional and intact as you move from location to location. Others are highly sensitive to what they bring into your environment. There is little distinction between work and personal – there’s simply a positive focus on whatever you’re doing. You know how (and do) get yourself totally back into control by yourself, when you’ve slipped much longer than you’re comfortable with. You don’t need to convince anyone about the methodology – you’re usually not thinking about it, merely using it. You’ve stopped complaining about e-mail. You’ve lost only a couple of receipts this year. Friends no longer want you to see inside their offices or cars.

Black belt – 2nd Degree

Time has disappeared, most of the time. You often move fast, but you’re seldom busy. When you’re playing with the dog, you’re not thinking about any of the big stuff – you’ve already thought about it. You know what every key in your desk drawer is for.

A

Anonymous

Odd. I did not get this either. Actually I have a couple of addresses that have made their way onto the list over the years and neither got it.

M

mochant

Re: David's latest newsletter What belt are you at?

Mardo said:
What do you think of David's latest newsletter where he sets out the markers for what kind of "belt" you are at with Getting things done. I love it. I like to have markers that I can strive for. Where do you think you are now? I put myself inbetween Green and Brown.
I'd put myself firmly in the Brown belt category leaning towards Black belt at times.

Busydave

Registered
Mike

Thanks for your generous post of the various belts.

Nevertheless …HELP!! GTD HQ: PLEASE RESEND NEWSLETTER!!

Dave

M

mochant

PM me and I'll forward the newsletter to you

If anyone reading this thead hasn't received the newsletter, I'd be happy to forward a copy to you. Just PM me with your preferred e-mail (no Spam - I promise!) and I'll send it off. :)

A

Anonymous

my belt

I am a WHITE belt..

I have a long way to go, but because of GTD, I am making things happen even at this beginning level.

Moving into a new custom built home in 25 days and counting. So my general filing system is pending until after the move. But my project list and support files have been VERY active!!

Bridgette :lol:

C

Cikub

I haven't received a newsletter this month, either. I wonder if there was a technical blip or if some of us actually dropped off the list.

C

A

Anonymous

Newsletter Mailing list keeper...

Hey there,

I've read a few posts of folks saying they didn't receive the newsletter. You can sign up (again) on our website (http://www.davidco.com/productivity_principles.php). You should receive an immediate email welcoming you, with the current newsletter. (or an email saying your email address is already on our mailing list.) If you're not getting the email, maybe try signing up for the TEXT-only version of the newsletter. Or contact us directly, at customerservice@davidco.com.

A

Anonymous

The belts article was a nice, relieving eye-opener for me. I'm one of the only people I personally know who has read and tries to implement GTD. I've been thinking that you pick up each of these habits full-force. I've struggled with having a consistent weekly-review and figured I was just one of those people who "wasn't quite getting it." Well, David puts having a weekly review once per month at the Brown Belt level! That's much more attainable than what I have been thinking.

With this in mind, I should be able to "ease into" the review habit. Getting it done some of the time shows more maturity in the system than I had been giving myself credit for.

I'd put myself at a Green Belt with several "Brown Belt tendencies".

A

Anonymous

Belts

This newsletter really stuck with me as I have been reviewing my copy of GTD this week. I printed it out and have reviewed it a couple of times. Then I made it a checklist to use every so often to see how I'm doing at implementation.

I'm a green belt and find brown belt very motivating--just like David indicated happens when one is working towards earning a belt in martial arts.

QUESTION: under the black belt definition is the following statement-- "You create useful temporary checklists on a whim. "
What does this mean?

Terri

M

mochant

Temporary checklists

Terri - to me this is a sign of advanced comfort with the list paradigm. In basic GTD, lists tend to long term entities that last (at least) for a project's duration and often as long-term reference. A list built on a whim, for me, manifests itself as a quick organizational check off.

So, for example, if my family decides that today would be a nice day to take in a baseball game, I'd pop open my NoteTaker and assemble a quick list of things we need to gather and stops we need to make on our way to the ball park. This is not a list I'd keep around because it's an occasional event and specific to things we need to do that day.

That's my interpretation, anyway.