del.icio.us + PDA = cutting-edge read/review system

J

JonathanAquino

Here's a great way to copy read/review material to your PDA on a nightly basis.

I like to bookmark web articles I intend to review when I have discretionary time. I use the very popular web bookmarking service del.icio.us. One of the great things about del.icio.us is its tagging feature -- in this case, I tag the web articles with "read-review".

Tonight I thought, wouldn't it be great to have all of the latest read-review articles on my PDA? To do this, I use Plucker (there are Palm and Pocket PC versions) to go to my del.icio.us read-review page -- http://del.icio.us/JonathanAquino/read-review -- and I set it up to download the links to my PDA each night.

Voila - all the latest web materials to read/review, right on my PDA and kept continuously up to date! Yay!

rskoss

Registered
Do you get the actual pages on your PDA, so that you can read them anywhere? Or do you just have the links and you have to find a net connection to read the articles?

J

JonathanAquino

rskoss said:
Do you get the actual pages on your PDA, so that you can read them anywhere? Or do you just have the links and you have to find a net connection to read the articles?

Hi rskoss -- That's the cool thing: I get the actual pages on my PDA!!!. That's the beauty of programs like Plucker (maybe AvantGo will work too) -- it will follow links to the depth you specify (in my case I am specifying depth = 1).

M

meszilag

I use "Sunrise Desktop" program+extension in Firefox to make the same task. I think its easier than online bookmarks due to right click operation

J

JonathanAquino

meszilag said:
I use "Sunrise Desktop" program+extension in Firefox to make the same task. I think its easier than online bookmarks due to right click operation

Hi meszilag - You can also combine del.icio.us with Sunrise i.e. point Sunrise to your del.icio.us page. del.icio.us might be useful for you in terms of bookmarking a page when you are away from your main computer (e.g. at the library or at another computer at work/home); and you can rely on Sunrise to transfer the pages from the links on del.icio.us to your PDA.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

M

meszilag

You are right

Hi Jonathan,
You are right. I havent thought about remote bookmarks. del.icio.us is clearly superior in this case.