Delegate: tips and tricks to share

Pav

Registered
I'm a newcomer here. I'm a top manager of a mid-size company with lots of projects, people and goals under my control. I have to delegate. I trust my people 100% but want to track them at least weekly to make sure we are moving constantly in the right direction.

I think that a flat list (like a project list) would suit me as I need to see what project was delegated, when is the deadline (that could go into my calendar though), and whom that project was delegated to. I think there's no need to hold a project plan in that list or in my support materials trusting that project fulfillment to my team's member. Should that project belong to my project list or projects delegated list (a separate one)?

Let's share any tips and tricks on delegation: what, when, how?

Linada

Registered
Going by the book, you'd put delegated things on a 'waiting for' list, which gets reviewed weekly. With a lot of delegating a 'waiting for' project list sounds like a good idea. I'll have to remember that.

Dan Owen

Registered
Can you clarify for me the outcome that you want? And what is the outcome of the weekly interaction you want to have with your staff?

Pav

Registered
OK, here're details. I have 4 direct reports, each of them has more then 20 people reporting to them. So I have 80 all in all reporting indirectly to me.

People have a tendency to forget things that were delegated to them. To be on course I would like to have regular meetings with direct reports (let's say twice per month) to make sure no projects were dropped or stopped during that time frame for no reason. My outcome of the meeting is to control all the projects are still there (at least the projects that were delegated directly by me to my direct reports, in the best case all of the projects under them as well) on my team's plate and all of them running.

If I do it with Waiting For list that's not the case as I don't wait from any of them to start my action. So it's more like delegating of a project not a task. Anyway it could end up to be 800 delegated projects (if we count indirect reports) and could blow up any mind :)

Any ideas of how can I improve that outcome?

TesTeq

Registered
Fire your direct reports.

Pav;66642 said:
OK, here're details. I have 4 direct reports, each of them has more then 20 people reporting to them. So I have 80 all in all reporting indirectly to me.
(...)
If I do it with Waiting For list that's not the case as I don't wait from any of them to start my action. So it's more like delegating of a project not a task. Anyway it could end up to be 800 delegated projects (if we count indirect reports) and could blow up any mind

Fire your direct reports. You do not need them since you don't use them. I think you don't believe them. You are micromanaging all the direct reports of your direct reports. It must blow up your mind.

In my opinion you should delegate projects to your direct reports only and allow them to manage their people. And keep them accountable for meeting deadlines by their direct reports.

Dan Owen

Registered
My outcome of the meeting is to control all the projects are still there

This is too vague.

People have a tendency to forget things that were delegated to them. To be on course I would like to have regular meetings with direct reports (let's say twice per month) to make sure no projects were dropped or stopped during that time frame for no reason.

This is nice and specific. Well done.

One of the realities managers face is that they can't do their employees' work for them. You could probably use Waiting For to remember everything you don't want your employees to forget, but that would be massively counterproductive. On the other hand, managers are responsible for the deliverable, and so bear the burden of everything their employees fail to do. So your plan has to involve creating a self-perpetuating process by which your employees don't forget their specific responsibilities, don't drop projects, and don't do anything to stop projects from moving forward toward completion.

I'm assuming that this is problem you're trying to solve: right now, employees are forgetting their responsibilities, dropping projects, and projects are stopping. If this isn't the problem, I'd spend some time defining the problem more precisely.

The main vehicle you're contemplating for making this happen is a biweekly meeting with your four direct reports. I think this is a good starting point for testing a solution, but I'd encourage you to keep an open mind and contemplate other solutions, and to continually interrogate yourself: is this solution working or not? How is it failing? What changes can I make to address the failures? It may be, for example, if this is a hair-on-fire problem, that you need to have a DAILY meeting with your four direct reports. On the other hand, if things are basically working well, a more relaxed touch-base-every-two-weeks meeting schedule is perfect.

But the most important goal you have is to get buy-in from your four direct reports regarding the outcome you're after: less forgetting, no dropping, no stopping; keep projects moving forward. Some questions for you to ask them: how are our people remembering their responsibilities? why are they forgetting them? why are projects stopping?

Ultimately, your employees are going to have to find a way of remembering what they're responsible for. It sounds like there may be a lack of connection right now between their forgetting and the consequences of their forgetting. This might be the right place to intervene: a frequent, regular, systematic review by each report and his or her 20 employees of their reponsibilities, progress toward meeting responsibilities, and action-oriented behaviors to pick up dropped balls.

Putting a metric in place will help enormously (what gets measured gets managed): how many balls got dropped yesterday? this week? since our last biweekly meeting? when and how did your direct reports intervene? what proactive steps did they take to keep it from happening again. This kind of review will quickly show patterns and clarify the underlying problems.

With this in mind, GTD can help you by reminding you of the outcome and the steps of the plan. I'd put together an @agenda checklist for each meeting with each direct report. The checklist would contain each step of the plan: what specifically has gotten forgotten? did we move forward on each project as planned? in what ways did we not move forward? is the process working, and if not, what specific next actions do we need to take to move us toward the outcome we want? And so forth.

If the problem is that YOU can't remember where each project is, who it's delegated to, what deadlines need to be observed and anticipated, then I think setting up a checklist of these questions for daily review, by Project, is a simple method. I know from your other posts that you spend an enormous amount of time in meetings, so it may be difficult to review at daily intervals. But if the problem is that your 80 people are forgetting important responsibilities, then your first task is to set up a review process that catches forgotten tasks frequently enough to stop the cascade of resulting problems. First, you review what you need to keep track of; then, your direct reports give you the data you need; then you and they lock onto specific failures among your 80 people and work out systems for preventing those failures. Repeat as frequently as necessary -- is biweekly frequently enough?

Sometimes an item on a Waiting For list is not enough. I'm in a similar position to you, although with fewer people under me, and I find that items on the Waiting For list tend to float in a context-less zone that doesn't trigger my own Next Action specifically enough. I use checklists constantly to re-orient myself about where I am in the sequential chain of next actions that are moving me forward toward my desired outcome in each project. So, a typical item on my Waiting For list might be something like this: "Wait for materials quote from Clarissa on ceiling trim, then review trim checklist before ordering." The checklist grounds me in action.

Helpful? Where is your system failing you?

kewms

Registered
Pav;66642 said:
My outcome of the meeting is to control all the projects are still there (at least the projects that were delegated directly by me to my direct reports, in the best case all of the projects under them as well) on my team's plate and all of them running.

I thought you said you trusted your direct reports? It sure doesn't sound like it.

Hold them responsible for results. Let them manage the details. That's what they're paid to do. Your job is to make sure they have the skills and other resources they need, and then get out of the way.

If the problem is that they *aren't* managing the details -- things are getting dropped -- then your job is to figure out why not and how to fix it, not to simply take over the management for them.

Katherine

JohnV474

Registered
Ideas for delegating

Tip #1) According to David Allen, BY FAR the best way to delegate is by EMAIL.

In the case of a task, it is very easy "Mary, I need you to take a copy of the company directory to the new intern sometime today. Please let me know if you will be unable to do this. Thanks!"

In the case of a project, you have to define what the outcome is "Wouldn't it be great if...." and your standards "I would give carte blanche to someone to do this project so long as they did... and did not do..."

Here is an example:
"Mary, we need someone to reorganize the office supplies closets before the end of May. I would like you to do this. They look really cluttered. We need the water cooler closer to the doors. Other than that, just organize them in a way that is intuitive and tidy. Also, we'd like the supplies to look less crammed together--aesthetically and also so that new supplies can fit in there without having to move things around. There are extra shelving units in the old conference room if you need them. Do not use the plastic shelves, though, please, and do not let this project keep you from getting your orders entered the same day, like always. If it takes more than two days, let me know so we can get you some help. Also, please let me know when it's finished so we can stock up the new supplies. Thanks!"

Of course, the projects you delegate may require an initial meeting, at least, to allow for conversation. However, after that, you can often ask, for instance, what they anticipate having done by a given date. Then, write "email re: status of ABCD" on your calendar (day-specific). The email can be as simple as asking if the planned steps were completed, as well as what may be completed by the (next date).

Hope this helps,
JohnV474

TesTeq

Registered
Specify the hour.

JohnV474;66658 said:
In the case of a task, it is very easy "Mary, I need you to take a copy of the company directory to the new intern sometime today. Please let me know if you will be unable to do this. Thanks!"

From my experience: Specify the exact hour you want the task to be done. Instead of writing "sometime today" use "today not later than 3pm". It works better!

Pav

Registered
Great ideas! In my experience email doesn't always work for delegating of the tasks that needs to be done today as the person may not see it. As for projects, I believe that requires a meeting to be delegated to go through purpose, vision and maybe brainstorming phases all together to jump start.

As about firing my direct reports, I can dispute. Should everybody be responsible for projects and tasks there would be no need in top managers :) Just give them a goal and then go for a one year rest at Bahamas. Then turn back at the end of the year to collect your bonus and set new goals for the next year :) Any other ideas on what should be done and controlled by a top manager?

ddewees

Registered
Pav, a couple of thoughts, from a similar experience in a past job (6 directs x 70-100 indirects)

The likely reality is that a majority of delegated projects are getting done. Try to focus on the trends, what and why are certain things getting dropped.

Possibly structure your w/f list by who you delegate the item too then use it as a checklist/agenda in you bi-weekly meetings or as a tickler for email follow up

Then you are basically teaching and re-enforcing good behavior. If certain things tend to blow up or certain individuals allow things to blow up maybe more frequent touch base conversations, emails could occur. Also educate your directs to raise the flag if they feel a project is stalled or dropped.

Also, if a large number of things are not getting done or are getting dropped ask yourself and your directs; why are we doing this. Also consider scheduling other time to conduct your touch base on certain high profile projects outside of these bi-weekly status meetings.

One tendency to avoid - try not to force GTD on them. It probably won't work. They need to want to do it and see a interior motivation to do so.

Dave

Dan Owen

Registered
I second Dave's advice about not forcing GTD on your people. People buy in more completely if they're free to achieve goals their own way.

(1) Keep them focused on specific outcomes
(2) Address failures in implementation frequently and aggressively
(3) Learn and discuss explicit, task-oriented lessons from methods that work

Pav, what have you done up to this point to address the problem you described: people forgetting their responsibilities, projects getting stopped. What's your plan? How are you moving toward the desired outcome today?

TesTeq

Registered
Use you direct reports!

Pav;66661 said:
As about firing my direct reports, I can dispute. Should everybody be responsible for projects and tasks there would be no need in top managers :) Just give them a goal and then go for a one year rest at Bahamas. Then turn back at the end of the year to collect your bonus and set new goals for the next year :) Any other ideas on what should be done and controlled by a top manager?

I think my comment was not clear enough. My point is: You are not using your direct reports appropriately. You are doing their work.

As I understand the structure of your division is following:
[you]
- [your-direct-report-1]
--- [your-direct-report-1-direct-report-01]
--- [your-direct-report-1-direct-report-02]
--- [your-direct-report-1-direct-report-20]
- [your-direct-report-2]
--- [your-direct-report-2-direct-report-01]
--- [your-direct-report-2-direct-report-02]
--- [your-direct-report-2-direct-report-20]
- [your-direct-report-3]
--- [your-direct-report-3-direct-report-01]
--- [your-direct-report-3-direct-report-02]
--- [your-direct-report-3-direct-report-20]
- [your-direct-report-4]
--- [your-direct-report-4-direct-report-01]
--- [your-direct-report-4-direct-report-02]
--- [your-direct-report-4-direct-report-20]

Your responsibility is to delegate each project to one of your direct reports and make them responsible for meeting deadline and quality standards.

Your direct report should delegate this project to one or more of their direct reports.

That's it.

If you are trying to manage over your direct reports you make them obsolete so you should fire them to reduce costs.

Oogiem

Registered
Pav;66642 said:

Why do you care about the 20 people below your direct reports?

If your direct folks are doing their jobs you shouldn't really need to worry abut the bottom folks. Sounds like you either need better middle management or get rid of them entirely.

Perhaps a more regular (weekly, daily? you decide but certainly sooner than 2 weeks) meeting with each of your 4 direct folks is really the place to start. And make them accountable for the actions of their team. But don't tell them how to manage their team just the results you need and let them figure out the best way to get those results.

sdann

Registered
Oogiem;66671 said:
Perhaps a more regular (weekly, daily? you decide but certainly sooner than 2 weeks) meeting with each of your 4 direct folks is really the place to start. And make them accountable for the actions of their team. But don't tell them how to manage their team just the results you need and let them figure out the best way to get those results.

I'm in agreement with Oogiem. Maybe you should start with more frequent meetings with your direct reports, at least until you can better judge their capabilities and are more confident in the validity of any success metrics you are putting into place.

Dan Owen

Registered
From what you’ve described here, it sounds like you’re dealing with two big obstacles: you’re getting interrupted (by your job, in the process of doing your job) so frequently that you can’t focus on report writing; and the information you’re collecting during meetings is locked in composition books and Word docs and you’re having trouble accessing it in order to write reports. It sounds like you’re doing well with dealing with the emergency calls that are a central part of your job. Is that right?

I’d suggest you focus on two areas: (1) collect in a form that makes it easier to process, organize and review (remember that the system has five parts: collect, process, organize, review, and do); (2) create protected, dedicated, uninterrupted, focused time to process, organize, and review.

Collection: handwritten note taking seems to work best for you because its fast, but the fact that the composition book keeps information bound together seems to slow down processing, organizing, and reviewing. Free the pages by switching to legal pads, and organize your note taking by separating next actions from project resources. Given the speed that information comes at you in meetings, you might have to wait to do this separation until after the meeting.

Processing: When you have a meeting with a client or one of your consultants, you have got to take time – protected, dedicated, focused, uninterrupted time – to process your notes into lists. Your pad or composition book is nothing but a bucket. The bucket has to be emptied. You need to extract from your notes the next actions, waiting for items, and project resources, and get them into a form that you can use and a place where you can review them. This is a skill you have to develop through practice. You have to be very disciplined about this: after each meeting, take five minutes to process your notes into those three categories, then move on. Shutting the door, closing Outlook, and sending calls to voicemail for five or ten minutes after every meeting is a skill you must practice. Part of that practice may involve finding ways of dealing with the consequences of being unavailable to others for ten minutes, especially since you’ve trained them to expect you to be available at all times. One of the realities of being accessible as part of your job is that you enable people to interrupt your workflow. That’s fine, but it’s better to enable them to interrupt you on terms that suit your ability to help them.

Organizing: There are three basic categories: next actions, waiting for, and project resources. In processing your notes and e-mails, move items into one of these three categories and put those lists and folders aside for review before turning your attention to whatever task requires your attention next. If you’ve pre-sorted pages on the pad by these categories, then just tear them off and drop them into the appropriate folder.

Reviewing: GTD fails if you don’t review your commitments as frequently as necessary to keep your mind clear and focused. It sounds like you have no time to review any of the notes you’re taking, or else you’re reviewing at the same time you’re doing. This is the biggest change you need to make in your work flow. You have got to create protected time, without interruptions, to review what you’ve collected. Given what your work day sounds like, this time may have to be early in the morning before the phone starts ringing, or it may be at the end of the day after the close of business (if such a thing exists for you). But you must make time, every day, to process, organize, and review what you’ve collected. The review has to happen whether you’re on the road or in the office.

Following the review, you get to make decisions about what you’re going to do in the time you have. For you, one decision involves answering this question: “out of the notes I took today, what information needs to go into the report I need to write?” Placing that information into a paper folder or a digital folder will make the process of writing that report – whenever you get to it – easier. You accumulate a lot of information very quickly – 300 e-mails a day, pages and pages of handwritten notes and Word docs during every meeting – so frequent processing is key. Dropping specific items you’ll need to write the report into a dedicated bucket will simplify and speed the report-writing process.

Portability: I have the same need, since I work in multiple locations. I experimented with methods for carrying paper around with me, until I finally realized that it was impossible, and I’ve gone completely digital. That means that I scan everything. It’s the only way to be sure you have everything with you wherever you are, whenever you need it. Scanning is part of my processing, and I make time for it daily (usually at the end of each day). My hierarchy of digital files in Windows File Explorer matches the hierarchy of my Outlook e-mail files matches the hierarchy of my paper files exactly so that I don’t have to think about it. If I have time, I tag the hell out of everything, but my first and most important way of accessing this stuff is through a simple but thorough file hierarchy. I access these files using Explorer, because it enables me to see all the file types in one place: Excel spreadsheets, Word docs, and .pdf files. But you could use Evernote for the same purpose. Because it’s often easier for me to think on paper, I travel with a portable printer and print things out at the drop of a hat. Sometimes you have to print everything, spread it out on the bed in the hotel room, and do what they’re paying you to do. And because I hate paper, I’ll go down to the front desk and run all of it through their shredder when I’m done.

Assigning tasks to Next Action lists versus Project lists: I think this was the question that you started off with. The idea behind working from a context list is to facilitate doing your work. A question for you: right now, how are you deciding what to do at any given moment? It sounds like a great deal of your time is already spoken for by meetings and dealing with emergencies that come at you via e-mail and phone calls. Opening an e-mail or answering the phone or processing meeting notes therefore involves making a decision: must this task be done now or later? You have discretion only over the tasks that can be done later (report writing is clearly one of these, and an important one). So your next action list has to be quickly scannable when you have time. Because your work is so project-focused, I’d recommend organizing your next action list by project first and context second within that list. The frequent processing that you need to start doing after each meeting must involve transferring next actions onto your Next Action list, by context as those contexts make sense for how you work, and then keeping that list open in front of you to help you decide what to do when you’re not jumping in to a fire. You can develop the skill of creating a consolidated next action list while you’re taking notes in meetings, but it’s a change from how you’re working now. It involves keeping this list with you at all times, entering tasks onto it as you take notes and listen to your clients and consultants, and revising, updating, and re-writing that list at frequent intervals so that it’s always clean, updated, and readable. On paper, in Word: whatever is fastest and easiest to edit. (Paper is tough to edit, as you know.)

I’ll say something about contexts. I used to believe that my work was completely Project-oriented and that organizing tasks by context wasn’t helpful. I was wrong about this. It’s true that there are times (less often than I thought) when I am completely immersed in a project and context is irrelevant: I must do what is necessary to move the Project forward, regardless of context. But there are other times when working by context enables me to move many different projects forward a step or two and lay the groundwork for a focused attack on a Project at a later time (such as report writing). Augusto Pinaud (google search Virtual GTD Study Group and @context podcast) advocates a very creative use of contexts to unlock productivity, and after initial skepticism I’ve become a believer. In your case, useful contexts might be something like @Scanner or @5 Minutes of Silence at My Desk. Contexts are focusing tools. Your work environment robs you of your focus. Contexts may help you to reclaim them. The way I discovered the value of contexts was by diligently writing all of my next actions down on one consolidated Next Action list and then attempting to organize them in useful ways that worked to move me toward the outcomes I’d defined.

Dan Owen

Registered
I like Fiore’s writing, because he emphasizes the importance of understanding the deeper emotional reasons why you procrastinate. Tips and tricks are fine, but self-awareness sets the stage for building new habits that capitalize on your strengths and work around your “weaknesses.”

You describe the kinds of tasks you’re resisting in a few places: “dreadful” phone calls, “unpleasant” phone calls, and “boring, onerous and hard” projects. I’d spend some time thinking hard about each of these items and trying to identify very precisely what it is about them that gives them these qualities – dreadful, unpleasant, boring, onerous, hard. This is the first step to devising strategies that strip these tasks of these problematic qualities.

I’ll give you an example from my own work. Part of my work involves estimating how long a job will take and making a proposal to a client that includes that estimate. When the actual task takes longer than I estimated, I may procrastinate doing ANYTHING having to do with that job because I want to avoid breaking the news to my client that my estimate was wrong. My anxiety around this kind of confrontation can sometimes be almost pathological: I’m capable of procrastinating so long and to such a degree that I create the very outcome that I dread the most.

Fiore advocates thinking backwards from the outcome you desire and compiling an action plan that gets you to that outcome. His argument is that you should worry if you feel you must, but don’t stop with worrying: compile a plan and then execute it. (This goes hand-in-hand with one of his other principles: persistent starting. He advocates finding multiple, “three dimensional” starting points and not letting the fact that you haven’t yet started stop you from starting at any one of these points.)

You have two ways of moving against a task you’re resisting: you can execute a plan after you’ve got a problem, or you can execute a plan before you have a problem. Whatever you do, it’s helpful to write down the outcome you desire, the tools you’ve got to execute the plan, and then each of the next action steps – the plan (this is pure GTD). Then, as you begin to procrastinate, the work you’re resisting is no longer amorphous: it’s specific, actionable, and concrete. You have multiple entry points for re-engaging if you chose to re-engage. You’re free to worry and get caught up in all of the negative feelings that fuel procrastination.

Fiore’s half-hour rule was not strong enough for me: when I’m in serious procrastination mode, I break my time into 15 minute blocks. I set a timer and I write down on a time sheet what I did during the previous 15 minute block every time the timer goes off. This is a tool for focusing my attention on the process and not getting lost in any activity. If I get engaged in the real work I’m trying to do, and no longer feel the pull of the activities I use to procrastinate, then I may keep working through successive 15 minute blocks, but only if my concentration is robust, not fragile. I’ll often keep a tally of how much time I’ve spent on real work. I write down my plan in checklist form, crossing off items as I complete them so that my progress through the list helps incentivize me. Sometimes I will take my Next Action plan and subdivide each next action into 15 minute blocks and cross THEM off the list as I complete them. These silly-sounding tools are very powerful. They never fail to move me off the starting block.

One of the things I’ve discovered by creating very concrete plans for attacking projects I’m avoiding is that it is often only one small part of a project that I’m resisting. In a project with thirty next actions, I may be happy to do twenty-nine of them. (In the example above, it’s writing the actual e-mail that breaks the news of the cost overrun to my client -- or, more precisely, not writing the e-mail but pushing the Send button.) In that case, I get to work on the parts of the project I don’t have a problem with, and then bring my most powerful tools to bear on the one task that I have a real problem with.

There’s something that you’ve said here that I want to warn you about:

On weeks where I have more duties, like fixing a bug for somebody, spending time preparing a complex qoute, or a long administrative task, I will be unable to allocate enough billable hours if I want to count these duties as unintrrupted-quality-work as well.

I think you’re using a potential problem with Fiore’s solution to avoid implementing a solution to your problem. (I do this too.) The fact is, the way you’re working now isn’t working: it’s costing you money and preventing you from supporting your family. The fact that a new approach may not work isn’t a reason to not try it. If you don’t try a new approach, you absolutely will not solve your problem. I’m sure you’ve heard it before: if you keep doing what you’ve always done, you’ll keep getting what you’ve always gotten. It may be that by using Fiore’s Unschedule you may not be able to generate enough billable hours, but you’re not generating enough of them now from what you’ve said. Learning effective habits while not generating enough billable hours is preferable, in my opinion, to not learning effective habits while not generating enough billable hours. It’s often impossible for people who don’t have a problem with serious procrastination to grasp this reasoning, but it’s essential to building new habits.

kewms

Registered
Pav;66661 said:

Putting yourself out of a job sounds like a great goal to me...

In all seriousness, my point is that you should work from the assumption that your direct reports *will* be fully responsible for their projects and tasks. Exceptions are certain to happen, but they should be handled as *exceptions.* By attempting to oversee *all* of your direct reports' projects and tasks, you make work for yourself while depriving them of the autonomy they need to succeed.

Meanwhile, all this time spent micromanaging is time that you can't spend working on larger, more strategic issues that (presumably) only you can handle.

Katherine

petdr

Registered
Great Helpful Insights

Just wanted to say thank you for the inputs thus far. Effective delegation is a weak point for me. The advices given to the original poster have helped clarify things for me that years of reading management books somehow have not.

The examples of managing the 4 direct reports and not the 20 under them were especially enlightening. I know I read about that many times and the warnings about micromanaging but none of that click until now.

Again, thank you all!:idea: