Deleting to dos/tasks in Palm and Outlook

A

Anonymous

Hi -

I'm not sure this is an "on topic" topic, but I've searched everywhere and been unable to come up with an answer. It does affect my use of the tools that I use to implement GtD. It is a "mechanics" question rather than a "process" question.

I've recently started linking the NAs I create in Shadow to my Palm To Do database. I then synch with Outlook so I can print my task file for review.

My problem is that when I delete a to do since it is done (not check off - I don't need to keep the records of what has been done) in either the todo (Palm) or Tasks (Outlook), then synch, it is essentially recreated - the synch process keeps the task rather than deleting it. I assume this is done as a fail-safe to avoid mistaken deletions. I need to synchronize the records, rather than have one override the other, since I do make changes on both ends. I would like to be able to delete the todo or task, then have that same deletion take place on the "other side" during the synch.

Any good solution other than to synch, delete to dos on one side, then synch again with that side overriding as a one time synch option? If it makes a difference, I use PocketMirror Pro and a Sony Clie TJ37.

Thank you!!!!

Caroline

K

ko

Hi, Caroline -

I, too, use Shadow for my projects list and link them to the Palm To Do database. However, I don't delete to-do items, just check them off. I don't really need to keep records of completed items, either - I just find checking them off simpler than actually deleting them. When I view ToDo tasks, I hide completed items. When I complete a project in Shadow, I do delete it.

Is there a reason that you don't just check off items (space available, etc.)?

A

Anonymous

Re: Deleting to dos/tasks in Palm and Outlook

Hi, Ko -

Thanks for your reply - it got me thinking...

The reason I wanted to delete rather than just "check off" was that I didn't like seeing the checked off items cluttering up my task list in Outlook. I knew how to show only incomplete items on the Palm, but hadn't seen a way to do it in Outlook 2003.

Your question got me looking a little harder - and I figured out a way to do it in the Outlook Tasks Advanced Options screen. So - you answered my question in a different way than I expected. Thank you!

Caroline

stargazer_rick

Registered
If you delete tasks when you complete them instead of checking them off, how do you do the part of the weekly review where you review what you've accomplished in the previous week? Or do you just not think this is important?

A

Anonymous

Re: Deleting to dos/tasks in Palm and Outlook

Actually, what I do is check them off first in the To Do list, then delete. They are linked to Shadow, so checking them off in To Do also marks them as completed in Shadow. But deleting them in the To Do does not affect the item in Shadow other than deleting the link. So when I do my weekly review, I review the Shadow list rather than the To Do list, and there is it marked as done. I can then use that to springboard to noting the Next Action, if I have not already added that. THEN I delete the completed item in Shadow.

Caroline

moises

Registered
stargazer_rick said:
If you delete tasks when you complete them instead of checking them off, how do you do the part of the weekly review where you review what you've accomplished in the previous week? Or do you just not think this is important?

Ouch! I don't review what I've accomplished. I don't delete my completed tasks but I only view my open tasks unless I am doing a search.

Is that a big help for you to see what you completed the prior week?

stargazer_rick

Registered
I think that it is not only a big help, but a necessary element to make sure that you don't miss any open loops. It is a quick part of the weekly review but I think that it is necessary.

As an example, two weeks ago I moved our church's web site to a new server. On the previous server I had all my email forwarded to my primary email address. I decided not to do this on the new server but to just log in and check it once a week since I don't get much email at that address. I had set a next action to check that email account and forgotten that I had done this. When I saw the completed next action it reminded me that I needed to set up a repeating task to check that email address every Sunday. Priceless!

moises

Registered
stargazer_rick said:
I think that it is not only a big help, but a necessary element to make sure that you don't miss any open loops. It is a quick part of the weekly review but I think that it is necessary.

As an example, two weeks ago I moved our church's web site to a new server. On the previous server I had all my email forwarded to my primary email address. I decided not to do this on the new server but to just log in and check it once a week since I don't get much email at that address. I had set a next action to check that email account and forgotten that I had done this. When I saw the completed next action it reminded me that I needed to set up a repeating task to check that email address every Sunday. Priceless!

OK stargazer_rick, you've sold me. I just customized the "completed tasks" view in Outlook so that I filter it to show only the tasks completed since my last weekly review. I have a weekly review scheduled for today. I am adding to my weekly review checklist, "Review tasks completed since last review." Thanks for the suggestion.