Digging Out From Backlog Webinar is posted

Barb

Registered
Yes

Since backlog will happen to everyone sooner or later and there were so many nuggets in the first webinar, I'd say YES to a part 2!

ProfessorSue

Registered
yes, more please!

This is one of the most valuable topics in GTD! (And that's a high bar.) Ever since the webinar, I look around my life space and now I apply the "backlog" label with hope that converting it to a project will work, instead of just responding with negative emotions. So more please!

Barb

Registered
Hoarding

I know hoarding is a deep psychological problem and having a backlog isn't hoarding, but did anyone see the CNN piece the other day about the elderly woman who died and they had to cut a hole in her roof to get her out? They had pictures of the doorways--crammed full of stuff. Apparently she had tunnels throughout the house that she could crawl through to get from one room to another. It sure made me appreciate GTD and my dislike of clutter in general.

The coroner believes that lack of fresh air, mold, and rodent activity in the home may have contributed to the woman's death. They are destroying the house. So sad.

larea

Registered
YES to part 2!

I actually opened this thread intending to write a post saying we need a part 2!

I would especially like to hear suggestions for non email backlog - I have worked a couple of email backlogs (work was done a long time ago- I'm working some personal ones very gradually), have a few left but I'm comfortable on how to do that gradually - I just put them in a folder and every couple of days a recurring task pops up for me to move some into my inbox. I did one email account this way, took a few months off, then started on another group. I usually just move 15 or 20 at a time, then it doesn't seem like a lot of work.

JaneS

Registered
More on dealing with backlog please!

I just completed viewing the archived webinar for Digging Out from Backlog and am feeling very empowered now! I would definitely enjoy more sessions on this topic.

One thing that contributes to my email backlog is all the e-newsletters I get related to my job. I am a dept manager at a small hospital and I wear many hats at our facility. So I try to keep tabs on all the things happening in my areas of focus through a variety of e-newsletters (lots of things to keep track of regulartory-wise, best practices, etc). But these kinds of emails have gotten out of control to the point of backlog of about 1600 emails sitting in my outlook inbox. I tried the rules function in outlook to automatically sort them into topic folders when they hit my inbox. But yet I procrastinate reading them, thinking oh I'll get to that later, and then later I'm too brain dead or just don't take the time. I think I was feeling the "100%" anxiety trigger mentioned in the webinar-- that I had to read them all thoroughly and "do" whatever new project/action that might come to light immediately after reviewing the emails. But after this webinar, I think alot of these are simply reference and if I develop a good system for keeping track of reference emails and any of the project/actions or someday/maybes that come to light from these emails I will be on my way to InBox Zero!

Would love to hear from others who have experienced similar situations.

I am sooooo thankful I discovered GTD! :p

kclee

Registered
Yes

Similar to JaneS, I too have completed watching the webinar (started last Friday and finished it up today).

A follow up to this webinar would be great although maybe a few months down the road, after we have worked to implement some of the suggestions.

Thanks for communicating specific strategies to address this and how to break it down to be more manageable. My backlog is not too far off from that office picture that was shown -> my business office is very serene and clear and implementation of GTD really helping to stem tide of email backlog. BUT, my home backlog (primarily mail, paperwork, etc) is serious dire straits and REALLY bothering me lately as I can't seem to find time to address. It accumulated from moving 6 times and constantly shoving backlog "items" into boxes and carting them with us to "hopefully get to later" at the next location. Now I'm at "later" (we've lived in current home 5 yrs and plan to stay) and home office, bedroom, bedroom closet, bonus room and garage look terrible from boxes and piles.

The suggestion someone had of 15 min. per day is what I'll start with; and then also work towards identification and creation of a Backlog Project. I also appreciated the Desired Outcome section and working on "positive framing" vs. negative reactions to all of it.

Thanks for putting together this webinar! (BTW, I loaned GTD book to my sister-in-law who has now read through it 3 times! She has now written 2 books and started a jewelry business.)

larea

Registered
kclee;80829 said:
It accumulated from moving 6 times and constantly shoving backlog "items" into boxes and carting them with us to "hopefully get to later" at the next location. Now I'm at "later" (we've lived in current home 5 yrs and plan to stay) and home office, bedroom, bedroom closet, bonus room and garage look terrible from boxes and piles.

Please let me know how it goes! I moved in May, and I am approaching "later" I hope. I had gathered up boxes of stuff at my old house while working on a decluttering project - but never worked back through those boxes. Then, more piled up during the move. I am still getting settled in but am very serious about working through these backlogs. I now have a much larger office and am able to set up a good workspace. Also bought a ScanSnap and am planning to digitize some old paper I can't otherwise feel comfortable throwing out.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Backlog Part II

I've asked Leslie to join me on part II of a Backlog Webinar this fall.

If she can't make it, I'll have another Coach join me.