Do You Have Questions For David Allen?

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I came to GTD already familiar with Franklin Planner and Covey ideas (distinct before the companies merged) and I had read much of the classic material of this type. David Allen’s writing resonated with me because it acknowledged that these older approaches were flawed; in fact none worked for me. It seems to me that there are a fair number of “experts” out there trying to make money off desperate people by providing them with untested methodologies. A lot of the hype boils down to “this works for me so you should do it too.”
Of course, one could state the same argument for GTD. If it works for David, it will work for you too. It obviously does for a lot of people, but not everyone. It does for me. But per my earlier post, junior faculty see things differently in terms of the importance of time allocation.

mcogilvie

Registered
Of course, one could state the same argument for GTD. If it works for David, it will work for you too. It obviously does for a lot of people, but not everyone. It does for me. But per my earlier post, junior faculty see things differently in terms of the importance of time allocation.
I think one major difference is that David Allen has always advocated for the primacy of individual experience: try GTD, and see how it works for you. Modify as needed. It’s another feedback loop. Another, related, difference is the bottom-up approach, where higher-level goals can be emergent rather than imposed or assumed. But I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir.

GTDAcademic

Practicing GTD in the academic world.
But what I have learned is that the engage step is different for them somewhat because they are at an early stage of their career. They MUST publish manuscripts, they MUST get NIH funding, they MUST become excellent teachers. So they need to allocate their time carefully. A number have young children and must take into account family responsibilities in this complex equation of allocating time. As a very senior professor (34 years now), I don't have to regulate my time allocation nearly as rigidly as they do. I can rely on deciding in the moment, occasionally blocking time for major projects, but mostly have a reasonably clear calendar apart from the usual too many meetings that come my way. So, my needs in terms of managing my calendar are different than theirs. This fits into the weekly planning I mentioned earlier. They are strong advocates of this and scheduling major tasks and projects on their calendars so that they can clearly see their time allocation. This old professor, although I have major responsibilities and commitments and wear a huge number of hats, does not have the same need to so carefully allocate their time.

I think in (the research part of) Academia “time and mental room to think” are the most important things. I recall asking several of our professors when they did research. Their answer was either “evenings”, “weekends”, “holidays”, or “not anymore, but through my PhD students”. The weeks are so busy and hectic that they need to use recovery time to work… and I would agree it’s even worse for young faculty. They have a lot to prove still and have the feeling they cannot say no.

Good of you to explain that to them early Longstreet. If they don’t guard their time, others will eat it up.

I’m wondering though about that part where you say you don’t have to allocate your time so carefully anymore. Is this because of seniority alone? Of did your areas of focus and responsibility change over time and thereby the kind of work you do? I see full professors at my University that are busier than their junior staff. Of course these professors don’t practice GTD. Shame on them.

To some extend, I think this is also similar for any type of job where the more senior you get, the less it’s about the grind and more anout vision, like a management job where it’s suddenly less about the work and more about the vision and the people.

Ok, finished my morning coffee, back to fire fighting the day to day :)

Longstreet

I think in (the research part of) Academia “time and mental room to think” are the most important things. I recall asking several of our professors when they did research. Their answer was either “evenings”, “weekends”, “holidays”, or “not anymore, but through my PhD students”. The weeks are so busy and hectic that they need to use recovery time to work… and I would agree it’s even worse for young faculty. They have a lot to prove still and have the feeling they cannot say no.

Good of you to explain that to them early Longstreet. If they don’t guard their time, others will eat it up.

I’m wondering though about that part where you say you don’t have to allocate your time so carefully anymore. Is this because of seniority alone? Of did your areas of focus and responsibility change over time and thereby the kind of work you do? I see full professors at my University that are busier than their junior staff. Of course these professors don’t practice GTD. Shame on them.

To some extend, I think this is also similar for any type of job where the more senior you get, the less it’s about the grind and more anout vision, like a management job where it’s suddenly less about the work and more about the vision and the people.

Ok, finished my morning coffee, back to fire fighting the day to day :)
Oh no - I am hardly less committed and have multiple NIH grants, mentor cohorts of junior faculty across the country, serve on several collegiate and university committees, etc. I guess what I meant was that I no longer need to use the calendar so strictly to decide what to do on a moment's notice. I follow much more the GTD model. Of course, I do on occasion block time to deeply work on a particular project (like the one R01 competitive renewal going in soon), but I overall don't like my calendar to tell me what to do.

The junior faculty don't have the years of experience and are always looking for ways to allocate their time carefully, hence the adding important tasks and projects on their calendars so they can track where they are allocating their effort.

Longstreet

I think one major difference is that David Allen has always advocated for the primacy of individual experience: try GTD, and see how it works for you. Modify as needed. It’s another feedback loop. Another, related, difference is the bottom-up approach, where higher-level goals can be emergent rather than imposed or assumed. But I’m sure I’m preaching to the choir.
Yes, you are preaching to the choir! I am an avid GTD user as everyone knows.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
What methods, if any, does David use to force himself to reclassify non-moving actions ahead of the Weekly Review?

Specifically, actions which are set up poorly, although they look like solid actions, because prerequisite actions haven't been completed?

For instance: you have an action to "Call X re: Y," but you're not completing it. Upon thinking about it, you realize it's because you haven't prepared what you'll say should you get the person on the phone, so you need an earlier action, "Prepare plan for calling X re: Y" or something like that.
I think you answered your own question when you prerequisite. If something else has to be done first, that's a dependent action that would live in project support until the real next action has been done.

Murray

Registered
Another difference is that David Allen road tested his methods with thousands of people he coached before writing a book.

TesTeq

Registered
Another difference is that David Allen road tested his methods with thousands of people he coached before writing a book.
@Murray The same difference is between James Clear and BJ Fogg. Clear has read a lot and assembled these pieces of knowledge in his "Atomic Habits" book. Fogg has taught 12000+ people how to install habits and then was persuaded to write a book about his "Tiny Habits".

schmeggahead

Registered
Another difference is that David Allen suggests taking only what is helpful to you. Things like the 2 minute rule and a weekly review are helpful without the full methodology implementation.

Clayton

Check in with yourself before you do anything, then after you finish doing. Are you better off after than before? That is an effective measure of successful actions and habits.

mcogilvie

Registered
@Murray The same difference is between James Clear and BJ Fogg. Clear has read a lot and assembled these pieces of knowledge in his "Atomic Habits" book. Fogg has taught 12000+ people how to install habits and then was persuaded to write a book about his "Tiny Habits".
This is a bit off topic, but I have trouble with the whole trigger-action-reward sequence. I don‘t respond well to external rewards, or really to any positive or negative consequences arbitrarily associated with an action. The whole “don’t break the chain“ idea generally fails with me too. Intrinsic motivation is usually the only effective motivation for me. Not sure about most people.

TesTeq

Registered
Another difference is that David Allen suggests taking only what is helpful to you. Things like the 2 minute rule and a weekly review are helpful without the full methodology implementation.
@schmeggahead Yes, the 2-minute rule and a weekly review can be implemented without GTD. But it ain't no use to implement Capture step only without implementing Clarify, Organize and Engage steps.

TesTeq

Registered
This is a bit off topic, but I have trouble with the whole trigger-action-reward sequence. I don‘t respond well to external rewards, or really to any positive or negative consequences arbitrarily associated with an action. The whole “don’t break the chain“ idea generally fails with me too. Intrinsic motivation is usually the only effective motivation for me. Not sure about most people.
@mcogilvie You may like BJ Fogg's tested approach:

IMG_5027.JPG