Does a daily to-do list reduce the efficiency of GTD

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone,

I'm aware some of you are comfortable customising the GTD system to suit your needs. I also realise that David is against the use of daily lists of tasks/to-do items, and I see from reading some post some users actively use daily lists.

My questions is, does using a daily to-do list reduce the efficiency of the GTD system, since the material implies that one should refer to a particular context of your (unprioritised) NA list during discretionary time.

I find that I'm more productive when I have in front of me on paper (a simple notepad works best) a small bunch of tasks to carry out one of the after. If I were to constantly refer back to my huge NA list, even if I refer to just one context, such as At Office, wouldn't I tend to get overwhelmed by the large number of actions in front of me, which I would need to face after completing every action?

Having said that, I haven't tried implementing the GTD system yet to see for myself, but I can't see how this can be more productive to having a to-do list of tasks/action which can be carried out immediately without continuous planning.

Perhaps I've missed something?

Thanks in advance for anyone who can clear this up for me. I'd also really appreciate if Jason could give me a response on this.

Cheers,

John

A

Anonymous

Daily Planning

I think everyone has a daily todo list. To play it by ear and according to the context you're in is not very efficient.

There are projects, meetings, etc. that must be done today and they can only reside in one other place than ones todo list or calendar - your head! This is the one place where "write it down" doesnt seem to apply in the GTD methodology.

Why is that?

A

Anonymous

Many seems to think they are doing better with a daily to do list. I may also think that you get more focused when you have a goal for what to do one day. If you have all on context list you do not have a "goal" for that day. - And this is very intresting what is best. A daily to do list or not. (I think daily to do list).

Re: Does a daily to-do list reduce the efficiency of GTD

John Silver said:
My questions is, does using a daily to-do list reduce the efficiency of the GTD system, .....
John,

having tried both (working with and without a daily task list) my experience is that the daily task list reduces my efficiency, but enhances my effectiveness and sense of accountability and responsibility. Without a daily list I can get done much more, though I might not know what I'm doing or if the decision of my boss was very smart.

Although I still use my daily task list in order to prevent me from overwhelm , I more and more tend to write down appointments with myself in my calendar and reduce the use of the daily task list.

Rainer

A

Anonymous

Use the daily to do

I find that if I do not have a daily todo I tend to think, well it's on the list it will show up. Eventually. With the to do, I have a way to move forward. Without it, I find, that stuff just sits on my list. Sometimes, I just have one category on my todo list, such as phones. Just sitting down and planning on working through some stuff, cleans it up and clears it out of my mind. and with the pda I just go through a review and move my choices from phone and computer and whatever to today and then those for sure get done and depending on timing I can tackle a few others on the category lists while I'm at it.

Feeling in Control

BJ said:
If you have all on context list you do not have a "goal" for that day.
BJ,

it seems like we all need at least a minimum of that "I feel in control of my life" -feeling at work. And focusing on a daily goal (of which you know you can achieve it) is one of many ways to get that "feeling in control"-feeling.

Rainer

C

CosmoGTD

DA very clearly says that certain people might have many things that have to get done TODAY.
These are listed as "all day events" in a list in the Outlook calendar for TODAY, for instance.
DA has said that some people may have MANY things on this list.

That is a defacto To Do Today list.

Coz

A

Anonymous

Here's an idea...

Take a post-it note and write "Focus Board" at the top of it, followed by 3-5 things (projects/goals/areas?) you want to focus on for today. Then stick this in front of you somwhere.

That way, you're not tied down with a strict list of tasks to do, but you still have a clear outline of what you should be focusing on during the day.

That would blend quite well into the GTD system, wouldn't it?

Bellaisa

Registered
I don't keep a daily to-do list anymore, but it took me a long time to give it up and every once in awhile I still feel a need to do one.

The whole point behind GTD, I think, is to not have to rethink things. When you get done with the daily review, you should have a things that stand out that you either want to focus on or get done that day. In order to not have to rethink those ideas, it sometimes helps to jot them down. Once you've completed those items or if you have an odd bit of time that those items don't fit into, you can go back to your NA list and figure out what you want to be doing given your context.

The problem I was having with keeping a daily to-do list is that it was leading me to not trust my system. I would come in in the morning and dump things out of my head onto a to-do list and not put them in my system and do a daily review - then things started falling through the cracks. Stopping a daily to-do list forced me into doing a daily review and trusting my system more.

In short, my opinion is that it is ok and long as you don't start substituting it for a daily review because then you start doing work as it shows up.

I think Jason did do a post on this topic a couple of weeks ago. I'll see if I can find it.

Bellaisa

Registered
I found Jason Womack's recent posting on this topic - the URL is http://www.davidco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=960&highlight=

It was on 5/6 and under the thread called "I can't stop planning my day"

I've pasted it below, but you may want to look at it in context of the conversation. In point 1, I think he is bascially saying he routinely does a daily to do list.

Here's how I think about it:

On a day-to-day basis, here is an example of someone's routine:

1) As soon as you're not doing anything else: check your calendar (What HAS to be done today?) Here, I will put down things from my action lists that I really "plan" to do today.

2) As soon as you have discretionary time (given your calendar):
- process IN, or
- check @action lists and pick one to work on, or
- work ad hoc (do something that is NOT on a list)
My goal here is to make sure the system is up-to-date every 24-48 hours.

3) At least once a week...do a weekly review! Make sure you can work within numbers 1) and 2) and be comfortable. Every 7 days, I want to get back to "clean, clear, current, and complete." This means looking at the last 4 weeks, the next 4 weeks, scanning any checklists ("How am I doing with client communications?" etc), reviewing projects/next actions lists, etc.

C

Carlos

Weekly focus NA list

What works for me a weekly focus NA list. Typically, my NA’s do not have due dates associated with them. For NA’s that need to be done on a particular day, I add a due date for that day. For other NA’s that I want to get done that week, but no particular day, I set a due date of that Sunday. I then filter my NA list to show only tasks with a due date within the next 7 days. This becomes my weekly to-do list. If I’ve completed the NA’s I must do that day, I can move on to the ones I wanted to complete for the week, and then to my complete NA list.

I use Outlook, so I’ve set up my filtered one-week task list to show up next to my daily calendar.

One nice thing about this is that is I can set due dates for NA’s that are due further into the future, and they will automatically pop-up on my weekly filtered view. An electronic tickler file.

Now it’s Friday afternoon, so on to my weekly review,

Bellaisa said:
In short, my opinion is that it is ok and long as you don't start substituting it for a daily review because then you start doing work as it shows up.
Bellaisa,

I fully agree with your statement (that one I quoted above). My daily task list must be the result of my daily review. If not, I would start doing only the work as it shows up and forget about the remaining 70 % of my job.

Rainer

A

Anonymous

Todo Daily

DA talks alot about people overwhelmed with things that demand attention and thus the best approach is to have a flexible agenda that one can act on based on the days events - a kind of Akido, if you will.

I think he wants to emphasize a philosophy of dealing with these demands rather than trying to be Nostradamus each morning and having it all blow up in your face. In between those two extremes is the approach of setting a few items up on the list that you really should try to knock down each day (if the bottom doesnt drop out). I favor the middle road.

Some people are going to be much better at managing their days without daily todo lists than others - my wife manages a large enterprise swimmingly without any lists.

J

jmarkey

Hello all. I just finished the latest Barnes & Noble GTD course, where the subject of the daily to do list came up. Below are two questions posted followed by Jason's response. I hope you find it helpful (I don't think he'll mind that I re-posted it here).

* Does that mean it's bad GTD habit to make / update at least once a day a" daily task list"?

no

* Do I take a risk doing the below process?

no

Over a year ago, I started a morning ritual that I've practiced to (almost) perfection.

I call it the "Morning Review," and now I'm teaching it in my GTD seminars.

It takes me no more than 5 minutes, and it sets the tone and tempo for the day. Here it is, how I do it, step by step:

- Check my calendar: What information and actions have I already put on the calendar? Lots of meetings? Teleconferences? Am I traveling through multiple airports?

- Review my action lists: I've found this is most valuable the days I'm delivering seminars or coaching. I go down each list, and decide "on-the-spot" if the item can wait until after my day of work. If it can not, I have two options. Do it now, or put it on the calendar for lunch. Every now and then, I need to spend 10 or 15 minutes of the lunch break handling a phone call, or running an errand.

- Scan my projects list: I just look down the project list asking myself if there's an action I might want to take while I'm "here." (And, "here," is relative - am I in my office, Washington DC, or flying across the country?) Every now and then, I pull something off that list because of where I am, or what I'll be doing that day.

On seminar delivery or travel days (and I had a combined 150 of those last year) my goal is, within 5 minutes, to let myself off the hook for the next 8 or so hours. I want to deliver a seminar and trust that everything can wait, I've seen it recently, and I have an inventory of work to do when I'm done.

moises

Registered
Sometimes someone needs to whack me over the head with a stick before I get it. Just in case there are others like me, let me excerpt from the quotation above from Jason Womack:

Here's how I think about it:

On a day-to-day basis, here is an example of someone's routine:

1) As soon as you're not doing anything else: check your calendar (What HAS to be done today?) Here, I will put down things from my action lists that I really "plan" to do today.

. . .

He tells us that he puts on his calendar a list of things that he plans to do today. One might wish to call that a to-do list.

A

andmor

I think it is clear - and I think Coz alluded to this - that if there is anything in GtD that resembles a ToDo list, it's the Calendar. What you put in the Calendar represents firm commitments with a time frame. Action Reminders are there to jog you into action, but only when you have time. (As far as I am concerned, Time is the primary context / agenda.) My problem is that I often have too much available time and "ASAP" really doesn't register urgency with me. Therefore, I try to load the Calendar with things ToDo today (along the lines that Jason describes).

I think a lot of confusion arises from using an application called "ToDo' to list Action Reminders, which makes you think they are ToDo's, but they aren't really ToDo's in the same imperative sense as the contents of a Daily ToDo List.

Having said that, some people seem to be perfectly happy to have a lengthy daily task list that they don't expect to complete, while others find it depressing to have to roll forward incompletes (as DA warns of) and might create a daily agenda that is not sufficiently challenging.

Andrew

A

Anonymous

Bellaisa said:
The problem I was having with keeping a daily to-do list is that it was leading me to not trust my system. I would come in in the morning and dump things out of my head onto a to-do list and not put them in my system and do a daily review - then things started falling through the cracks. Stopping a daily to-do list forced me into doing a daily review and trusting my system more.

Bellaisa, could you be kind enough to outline what your daily review looks like? I read Jason's, but I'd like to see your idea of how a daily review should be.

Thanks!

Markus

Bellaisa

Registered
Markus said:
Bellaisa said:
Bellaisa, could you be kind enough to outline what your daily review looks like? I read Jason's, but I'd like to see your idea of how a daily review should be.

Thanks!

Markus

I think it is about the same. Once I'm settled in, it goes somethign like this:
1) I gather up stuff for my inbox - tickler file, anything I've brought from home that needs to be processed (which would be in a designated folder in my briefcase), mail from my mailbox, unload my digital recorder, take messages off of voice mail (but I don't usually respond just then unless it is only a quick reply), glance at my email for anything that might be a true emergency.
2) look my calendar for appointments and anything I've written down that has to happen on that day only. This gives me an idea of how much time I have available for non-meeting work
3) I look over my NA lists and either make a mental note or a physical note of what I want to get done with my open time. According to strict GTD, I would write thsoe down on my calendar, but I typically just put in on a post it which I keep stuck to my desk and toss and the end of the day.
4) I get done what must be done right away (mainly prep for any meetings that day) and then start on my inbox/email.

It really only takes a few minutes, but after years of years of diving into my email as soon as my computer was on, getting into a daily review before starting anything else was a hard habit for me to get into - probably even harder than the weekly review. This is a little dorky, but I had to keep a checklist at first.

It took time for me to learn that my job isn't answering email, my job is managing my areas of responsibility. Being responsive to email is just one form of that. I also had to "train" people that I wouldn't be answering their email as soon as I walked in the door and to not use it as instant messaging - if an issue was truly urgent, then they needed to call or come see me, mark the email as such. I haven't gotten ANY complaints from anyone about me not getting back to them in a timely manner.

Really, I was just using email as a way of doing work as it shows up instead of taking charge of my work.

I seem to remember reading someing in GTD that says that a typical person will have 300-500 hours of work in the NA lists. Whew! No wonder it is overwhelming. But I've discovered as I've being going along that if you are consistent in using the system, you can have all of that in there and be fairly relaxed because you know you are making the best choices you can with the time you have. It also has helped me a lot with setting better expectations with myself and others about what I'm able to take on.

Sorry for the long post! These have been good reminders for me.

C

compwiz3

No It Doesnt

My simple answer is no I don't think Daily To Do lists reduce your efficiency in getting things done.... I think the problem is that a lot of ppl use Daily To Do Lists ineffectivly.

The tradional way to use them is to post a message say in the morning or prior night listing tasks that you need to get done for the day. I honestly think this is quite silly. I personally use a Daily To Do list service and I think it's most helpful to most tasks whenver I think of them... so for example, yesterday I was working on programming something (Facebook Application), and I thought of a really cool idea... I added this to my To Do list for the next day. Then I checked my e-mail and noticed an e-mail I thought I should respond too... I decided to add this to my To Do for tommorow. In this way, I try to build up my to do lists. It's a lot more flexible and a lot less annoying then just trying to remember to add everything in the morning...

And I know they're a ton of daily to do list thingies to choose from, but personally I like http://www.zotodo.com/ - Daily To Do

It's just simple and stuff... but really doesn't matter too much what u use as long as it's simple and as long as the system doesn't get in the way of actually doing anything.