Does anyone use a Barcode Scanner for Capturing?

gtdstudente

Registered
Fellow GTDers,

If so, for Capturing what?

Thank you very much

Ps.

A random example of a Barcode Scanner:​

1722181918907.png

As far as I can imagine, the only thing you could possibly capture would be barcodes... I don't, and I don't imagine ever doing so. But if I ever were to do it, I would probably use my phone!

That's an interesting idea to investigate! While I have not yet explored its potential value fully, I think integrating a barcode or QR code scanner into the GTD capturing process could bring some innovative benefits. This would, of course, require a robust database system to manage the inputs efficiently, and to my knowledge, current apps haven't been designed to do so. However, this isn't a big obstacle to overcome.

In fact, in the app I use, Todoist, there is a Task ID (unique identification key) automatically assigned to each created task. This means inventory management statistics could already be applied as a first step, even without having a barcode/QR code hooked up to the Task ID.

Imagine assigning a unique barcode or QR code to each item during the GTD clarification step. This could streamline the capturing process and allow for easy recording and retrieval within a database. Beyond just capturing, you could leverage this system to generate insightful metrics and optimize your workflow, similar to best-in-class warehouse management systems.

For example, we could track the frequency and types of tasks captured, analyze bottlenecks in our workflow, and even automate some parts of our organizational process. While it might seem complex initially, the long-term benefits could be substantial.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried this or has thoughts on implementing such a system!

That's an interesting idea to investigate! While I have not yet explored its potential value fully, I think integrating a barcode or QR code scanner into the GTD capturing process could bring some innovative benefits. This would, of course, require a robust database system to manage the inputs efficiently, and to my knowledge, current apps haven't been designed to do so. However, this isn't a big obstacle to overcome.

In fact, in the app I use, Todoist, there is a Task ID (unique identification key) automatically assigned to each created task. This means inventory management statistics could already be applied as a first step, even without having a barcode/QR code hooked up to the Task ID.

Imagine assigning a unique barcode or QR code to each item during the GTD clarification step. This could streamline the capturing process and allow for easy recording and retrieval within a database. Beyond just capturing, you could leverage this system to generate insightful metrics and optimize your workflow, similar to best-in-class warehouse management systems.

For example, we could track the frequency and types of tasks captured, analyze bottlenecks in our workflow, and even automate some parts of our organizational process. While it might seem complex initially, the long-term benefits could be substantial.

I'm curious to hear if anyone has tried this or has thoughts on implementing such a system!
While I'm a fan of high tech nerdy stuff, I still have a hard time seing how a barcode scanner will enhance my GTD practice.

When it comes to GTD I am very low tech (although highly digital).
I my world, capturing what's on my mind has very little to do with barcodes or QR codes. If something is assigned either of those, it will already have to be clarified and organized in my opinion.

I am curious to see if anyone can shed some light on this topic in a way that a barcode scanner makes sense for capturing! So far, this only seems to me like adding a time consuming layer of abstraction...

I understand your skepticism about the relevance of barcode scanners in the GTD practice, especially when the focus is often on capturing what's on our minds quickly and efficiently.

However, integrating such technology could potentially transform how we manage our tasks and projects by bringing us closer to a best-in-class digital warehouse management system, enriched with real-time data analytics. Derived from digital warehouse management, here are a few ideas:

Real-time analytics can add significant value by instantly processing and analyzing data, providing actionable insights. Here are some ways statistical techniques used in real-time analytics could enhance GTD:

1. Descriptive Statistics: Helps summarize captured tasks, providing a snapshot of data distribution and central tendencies through measures like mean, median, and mode.
  2. Inferential Statistics: Allows making generalizations about our tasks and projects, predicting trends and outcomes using hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, and regression analysis.
  3. Time Series Analysis: Analyzes sequential task data over time, helping forecast future workload and detect patterns or seasonal variations.
  4. Predictive Analytics: Utilizes machine learning models to predict future events, such as deadlines and project completions, based on historical data.
  5. Cluster Analysis: Groups similar tasks into clusters, enabling better organization and identification of patterns within our GTD system.
  6. Anomaly Detection: Identifies outliers or unusual tasks using statistical techniques, crucial for detecting potential bottlenecks or urgent issues.
  7. Correlation and Causation Analysis: Measures relationships between variables, helping understand how different factors influence task completion and productivity.
  8. Real-Time Data Visualization: Presents insights visually through dashboards and charts, enabling quick interpretation and decision-making.

By leveraging these techniques, a barcode scanner or similar technology could streamline task management, enhance efficiency, and provide deeper insights into our productivity patterns. This approach is not about adding complexity but about enabling smarter, data-driven decision-making in our GTD practice.

I hope this sheds some light on the potential benefits of integrating such technology into GTD.

If so, for Capturing what?
I don't, but I used to work for a company that sold the things. Barcode scanners capture information from barcodes. Why are you interested in barcode scanners for GTD? I'm having trouble imagining a use for them in GTD capture. My inputs include things like voicemails, emails, texts, mail, thoughts I jot down -- none of them have barcodes.

Why are you interested in barcode scanners for use with GTD?

How would a barcode scanner help with any of that? In a warehouse, yes of course. But in GTD, I don't see it.
I understand the hesitation regarding the use of a barcode scanner within the GTD framework. Here's how this technology could maybe be beneficial:

Similarly to a warehouse, at the beginning of the process, a barcode or QR code would be assigned to any new entry, effectively stamping it as the first phase of capturing an element. As the user progresses through the GTD workflow, each time an element is touched and potentially becomes a next action, it would be scanned again. This scanning process provides a timestamp and status update for each movement through the GTD workflow.

Here's a more detailed breakdown of how this could work:

1. Capture Phase: When capturing a new entry, a barcode or QR code is assigned. This initial scan logs the entry into the system, similar to receiving a new item in a warehouse.
  2. Clarify and Organize: As the task is clarified and organized, each step can be tracked by scanning the barcode. This creates a digital trail of the task's journey, providing insights into how long elements remain in each stage.
  3. Reflect: During the weekly review, scanning tasks can help quickly update their statuses and progress, ensuring everything is up-to-date and no tasks are overlooked.
  4. Engage: When working on tasks, scanning can mark the start and end times, providing data on time spent on specific actions and overall productivity.
  5. Real-Time Tracking and Analytics: By scanning elements at each stage, real-time data analytics can be applied, similar to supply chain ERP systems. Various statuses can be set within the application, and scanning an element would move it to the next status. This not only provides a clear overview of current tasks but also helps identify bottlenecks and optimize workflow.
  6. Seamless Integration: The user would likely be working from a computer screen and scanning from a mobile device. This dual-device approach can ensure that tasks are updated in real-time, and the system remains flexible and easy to use.

By integrating barcode scanning into the GTD process, we could bring the efficiency and precision of warehouse management to personal productivity. This isn't about adding complexity but about leveraging technology to streamline task management and gain deeper insights into our workflow.

I hope this clarifies how barcode scanners may enhance the GTD practice!

This approach is not about adding complexity but about enabling smarter, data-driven decision-making in our GTD practice.
No, everything you suggested is about adding a level of complexity that is inappropriate for the task. I'm sorry, I've tried hard to cultivate humility in these forums and admit there is much I don't know. But I can say with absolute, 100% certainty that what you're describing would be an insane waste of time.

First, you'd somehow have to be able to generate barcodes for all of your inputs, and those barcodes would then need to follow those inputs through your GTD process. I don't know about you, but as I said above my inputs don't come with barcodes. Until such time as my inputs include cans of wax beans or pallets of machine screws or something, nothing in my system is going to be trackable by a barcode scanner.

Second, I don't know what your life is like, but in my life the analytics you suggest applying would be both over-the-top insane, and impossible use in the way you suggest. Forecasting seasonal workload? Great for a factory or a retail store. But... this spring I fractured my wrist and had to have surgery, one of my cats had a ruptured cornea that required the surgical removal of the eye (he's doing fine, BTW), I learned my mother might have to be moved from her current living situation into a nursing home -- what analytics would you suggest I apply to this "data"? How often should I expect that one of my cats would need an eye removed (in nearly a quarter century of having cats, this is the first time and hopefully the last). Am I supposed to predict the next time I'll be lost in thought, stupidly forget there's a step coming out of the diner where I usually meet my friend, stumble, fall and break a bone? Predict how often I'll get a call from a client with a batsh*t crazy request?

Over the last couple of years I have tried to cultivate open-mindedness and learn from others. But this? Come on. This is ridiculous.

By integrating barcode scanning into the GTD process, we could bring the efficiency and precision of warehouse management to personal productivity.
Until such time as life conforms to the rules and processes of managing a warehouse, no, we could not bring "the efficiency and precision of warehouse management" to managing our lives. We could waste a lot of time trying, though.
This isn't about adding complexity but about leveraging technology to streamline task management and gain deeper insights into our workflow.
You keep saying this isn't about adding complexity, but everything you're suggesting would require just that: adding an extreme amount of complexity. How could you efficiently generate barcodes for individual inputs that capture the nature of that input? I'm sorry, but... this is a rabbit hole. I'm bowing out of this thread.

All those features are really what the software does with the barcode scanner's input. You could replace the whole barcode thing for a button the user presses.

What am I missing?

To look at it a different way, if I set up Sharepoint correctly I could do all of the above suggestions without needing a barcode. I could enter my tasks and projects, and use workflows to progress them, maybe even integrate it with Planner or Project, and then export report data into PowerBI. I could probably do similar in an engineering document management system like ProjectWise.
The type of analytics mentioned are basically those used in project management, so something like ClickUp or Asana would also do this sort of thing, I think, I've never tried.
The real potential benefit in some cases would be in tracking the time spent in certain areas or on particular types of tasks, workload management and identifying bottlenecks (project management).

However I would not see a use case for a lot of people. BCMyers is right - life doesn't work in a neatly packaged way (and I'm glad your kitty is better, we just got 2 nine month old kittens holy cow our house is chaos, and I've also done the nursing home thing last year) If you needed this sort of tracking in a highly structured work environment there's a decent chance that tool(s) are already in place to do it. It would work best in a highly deliverable-focused environment, like cranking widgets, or project management for certain types of projects. And using barcodes, unless you are managing physical objects, would just be added friction. Some of the concepts from ERP, warehousing tech, or project management etc. though can be interesting and it's always good to cast an eye over this sort of thing to see what is potentially useful.

Real time analytics are great if you're Amazon and shipping millions of things daily, or tracking thousands of data points on an F1 car, but personally it's overkill for me as I just need reminding to scoop the litter trays, respond to that email and give the kittens their dinner...

I apologize to @Y_Lherieau, @gtdstudente and anyone else reading this for my angry tone. I was venting feelings that had nothing to do with this forum. I'm not bringing this up as an excuse -- I'm not real big on excuses -- but just to let people know it wasn't personal, in case they were feeling attacked. I don't want to be the person who inhibits someone else from freely sharing their views on GTD.

Separating my views on this from my drama last night, obviously barcode readers capture information from 1D and 2D barcodes (for point of reference, the barcode you see on a can of beans is 1D and QR codes are an example of 2D). But unless a lot of what lands in a person's inbox comes with barcodes, a barcode reader won't be of use.

I am all for data-driven decisions when it comes to deciding on a company's strategy, government policies, decisions about people's medical care, and stuff like that. I can't imagine how applying the technologies and expertise needed to extract meaning from data would be of use with GTD. My experience of living my life is that most of it is not quantifiable, and it is definitely not predictable. YMMV.

How would a barcode scanner help with any of that? In a warehouse, yes of course. But in GTD, I don't see it.
@cfoley

Thinking it might be good for improved husbandry/stewardship of all that is in and enters my world, i.e., 'four walls' collectively objectified as an inventory list(s) that would require as little capturing friction as possible to make such an pursuit sustainably feasible?

Thank you very much

@cfoley

Thinking it might be good for improved husbandry/stewardship of all that is in and enters my world, i.e., 'four walls' collectively objectified as an inventory list(s) that would require as little capturing friction as possible to make such an pursuit sustainably feasible?

Thank you very much
Given that a barcode reader can only extract information from barcodes, how would you envision this working with the capture phase of your GTD system? Do you have a lot of inputs coming in that have barcodes with information relevant to you?

Given that a barcode reader can only extract information from barcodes, how would you envision this working with the capture phase of your GTD system? Do you have a lot of inputs coming in that have barcodes with information relevant to you?
@bcmyers2112

Perhaps groceries could be a potential 'everyday' use for current and future use

However, this does suggest a consideration for the 'little people':
Capture file weekly digital "Weekly Flyers" to organize in email "month files" for efficiency pricing analysis?

Thank you very much

Last edited:
@cfoley

Thank you very much

I don't think it's for me but I would be interested to hear your experience of using it this way for a few months.

An easy way to start with something like this is calorie counting in My Fitness Pal. You can simply scan the barcodes on whatever you eat (using the camera on your phone) and it adds it up for you. Sounds great, but unless you only eat our of a packet, and unless you only eat the same thing all the time, there is an endless amount of custom entries.

I don't think it's for me but I would be interested to hear your experience of using it this way for a few months.

An easy way to start with something like this is calorie counting in My Fitness Pal. You can simply scan the barcodes on whatever you eat (using the camera on your phone) and it adds it up for you. Sounds great, but unless you only eat our of a packet, and unless you only eat the same thing all the time, there is an endless amount of custom entries.
Yep, this is the key thing that gets forgotten - for barcodes to work, there needs to be a database somewhere that tells you what that barcode actually represents. Having done this for construction site asset management, there's a LOT of backend work of going "ok, here is a pump. Here is the barcode I'm going to stick on it. The pump is made by Weir, it is serial no.123456, it is a 50l/s capacity, it is located "here", and the service intervals are x, y and z" It takes ages to enter it all!
I guess someone out there has a personal use case, but it's going to be a small market.