Does anyone use a Barcode Scanner for Capturing?

I have a barcode on my forehead. I'm not sure why. But maybe I'm the small market?
Is your barcode number by any chance 666? Or is that already taken? Not that I believe in anything but I did read The Number of the Beast, by Heinlein, back before being crazy was a cultural marker.

Lots of nice stuff in here, but there are still no signs of capturing...
This is what I'm having trouble understanding about this thread. Barcode scanners read barcodes. Unless a lot of your inputs come to you with barcodes, the only way a barcode scanner would be useful would be if you used software to generate barcodes you could print and affix to any of your paper inputs. But why would you do that when you'd be limited in what kind of data a barcode could contain and how much? And for that matter, in the time it took you to create the barcode label you could have clarified and organized that input a dozen times over?

The same with NFC tags. Sounds nice but if I have a thought to capture it wouldn't be very practical to create an NFC tag when I could just write it down. I could maybe see the use for creating an NFC tag for groups of repeating tasks... except a lot of list managers allow you to save templates for reuse.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm genuinely struggling to understand the potential appeal of this stuff for use with GTD.

This is what I'm having trouble understanding about this thread. Barcode scanners read barcodes. Unless a lot of your inputs come to you with barcodes, the only way a barcode scanner would be useful would be if you used software to generate barcodes you could print and affix to any of your paper inputs. But why would you do that when you'd be limited in what kind of data a barcode could contain and how much? And for that matter, in the time it took you to create the barcode label you could have clarified and organized that input a dozen times over?

The same with NFC tags. Sounds nice but if I have a thought to capture it wouldn't be very practical to create an NFC tag when I could just write it down. I could maybe see the use for creating an NFC tag for groups of repeating tasks... except a lot of list managers allow you to save templates for reuse.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I'm genuinely struggling to understand the potential appeal of this stuff for use with GTD.
Exactly!

I believe David Allen shall have said that speed trumps quality every time - and even if he has never said this, it still holds true in this case in my opinion.

@bcmyers2112 Suppose you're a zebra breeder. Wouldn't it be handy to capture them using a barcode scanner? Of course zebra breeding is not directly related to the GTD methodology but if zebras fill your mind wouldn't it be good to dump them outside and capture with a scanner?
Especially if they're escaping - you could just capture them with a barcode scanner!

@bcmyers2112 Suppose you're a zebra breeder. Wouldn't it be handy to capture them using a barcode scanner? Of course zebra breeding is not directly related to the GTD methodology but if zebras fill your mind wouldn't it be good to dump them outside and capture with a scanner?
Especially if they're escaping - you could just capture them with a barcode scanner!
This escalated rather quickly.

They do actually use bar code scanners to track zebras for identification in animal studies. Zebra stripes are individual even in identical twins and clones the stripes are not the same so are a good individual identifier. My Obsidian database of potentially useful trivia says the technology was described back in 2011.

ok a bit later and the only freely accessible article I can find is this one Zebra Barcodes

PS the code is here: https://code.google.com/archive/p/stripespotter/