Does GTD help with Depression or other mental disorders?

C

CLewis

GTD vs medication

This discussion reminded me of my reaction when I viewed a TV advertisement recently for a new sleep aid that would counteract the problem of a mind racing with commitments precluding falling asleep. I immediately thought that it would be interesting to run a GTD ad in tandem. One aid is a band-aid, the other may well be a more lasting tool for addressing the problem!

U

Unregistered

perhaps GTD could be part of a larger strategy

I've had some personal experience with depression, and I've had some luck keeping it at bay.

I don't think it's realistic to think that GTD is "the answer" to depression. But it seems very reasonable to me to think that it could help. From what I know about depression, I think that it would help.

You really need to attack depression with a full court press -- it's a complicated problem that requires a fairly complicated response. I try to exercise as much as possible, and I eat well. I make a point of socializing. And I try to stay on top of things that cause stress -- there's no doubt that stress can push you into the hole. Obviously, that's where GTD comes in.

My doctor told me that there are three broad categories of causes for depression. First of all, some people have brains that are more prone to depression than others -- there seems to be a physical or chemical difference between people. Second of all, things that happened when your personality was being formed can make you more or less prone to depression. But finally, things that are happening can cause depression -- if a spouse dies, or you get really sick, or you lose your job, you can become depressed.

I'm probably less robust in the face of trying circumstances than most people -- bad things that might not push someone else into a depression might get me. Presumably, that's because of factors that belong to one of the first two categories.

I don't know if you've heard of the bucket analogy that they use for allergies. Imagine you have a bucket that's filling up with allergens, and that's draining through a hole at the bottom. If the allergens overflow the bucket, you have problems. But if they come in at a rate slow enough to allow them to drain through the bottom without overflowing, you're ok.

I think that the analogy might apply to stress as well. There are things you could handle singly that overwhelm you when they hit all at once -- when you're bucket starts to overflow, you're in trouble. If you're prone to depression (as I am), you can think of yourself as having a smaller than average bucket. But perhaps GTD makes the hole in the bottom of the bucket bigger -- it allows you to handle more stressful situations than you'd be able to without it.

When I do fall into the hole (which happens less and less frequently), I try to "break the back" of the depression early on with medication. It's been very helpful for me to learn how to recognize it when I start to slip. It's much easier to prevent yourself from falling into the hole than it is to climb out of it once you're in.

There are things that I do that serve as warning flags for me -- if I start to blow off my exercises, hole up by myself and not talk to people, if my sleeping becomes more erratic, it suggests that I should start watching myself more carefully.

I'd encourage anyone who feels depressed to see a good doctor. The main problem with this thread is that whether it helps or not, using the GTD system shouldn't be at the core of your depression fighting strategy. Getting treatment from a good doctor should be at the core.

Depression is a problem that can be managed for most people. I've found that there are enormous differences between the best psychiatric doctors and everyone else. My guy is on the faculty of a major medical school -- look for someone like that. Don't say, "This is just the way I am." Fight back. Use the best people to help -- be wary of alternative schemes, or experts who claim to know things that doctors don't. I'm also wary of therapists who are "in the bunker" -- who base everything on their own experiences providing therapy, and who aren't up on the literature and dealing with colleagues on a regular basis. That's why med school guys are worth seeking out.

The question isn't really whether GTD is going to cure your depresison. The question is whether or not you're better off using the system, if the benefits justify the cost in time and effort. If it does, you should do it, and if you do it and it helps your depression, that's great. If it doesn't help your depression, at least you're more productive and better at your job.

P

ProfDD

Stephen said:
I have read that GTD is making great inroads into helping ADD people have a more meaningful life. GTD is a tool that can give so many people hope.

. . . .

Since Next-Action decision making produces Clarity, Accountability, Productivity, and Empowerment, it seems that this way of life would be an antidote preventing the slide into mental illness.
I doubt that most mental illness is 'caused' by the stress of modern life. Much is caused by inherited or developmental maladaptaions in brain chemistry.

Sometimes stressful changes in one's life cause the maladaptations to become evident.

Do you have a story about how GTD has pulled you, or someone you know, out of the clutches of depression or another form of mental illness?
I fortunately discovered GTD on-line around the same time that I finally was getting an adequate dosage of the medication I now use for ADD.

My entire life was a record of high achievement at top academic institutions coupled with underachievement outside structured work environments. My experience in my personal life resembled my lack of success in unstructured work environments. I lowered my expectations from life significantly.

GTD gives me the tools to actually have a reasonable expectation of success in attacking meaning projects to reach personal goals. I do not yet KNOW whether I will succeed, but I EXPECT to.

I know that depression is still "taboo" talk in many circles, especially if it is from personal knowledge.
Some people are ashamed of their brain chemistry because people accidentally, carelessly, or intentionally humiliate them. Some children are labelled as having 'Oppositional Defiant Disorder' for fighting against the humiliation, sometimes inflicted by parents, teachers, and other authorities.

Can you envision a future where GTD is the drug of choice instead of Paxil, Prozac, or Lexipro?

Stephen
GTD will never be a substitute for a drug. It can be a substitute for some of the less effective behavioral therapies for ADD or - better - a tool in a behavioral therapy program.

U

Unregistered

In the big picture, we are really just learning about the brain, so I wouldn't say most mental illness is biologically/chemically based-not just now. There is an old model of mental illness called the "diathesis-stress" model which simply states that if a person has vulnerable genetics and they experience enough stress, the result is mental illness. Vague, but to me makes intuitive sense.

For those dealing with OCD, you might find the book "Brain Lock" to be of interest. Tons of books on ADD: check out those by Russ Barkley. Ed Hallowell wrote "Driven to Distraction" and "Answers to Distraction." His new book just came out and is pretty good (don't recall the name of it).

I do not view GTD as a therapeutic technique (nor did David pitch it this way), rather (as stated previously) it can be an effective tool as part of a comprehensive treatment plan. A good clinician will know which tool to use and when to use it. GTD at the wrong time could be a disaster with an OCD person. Anxiety drives OCD and a way to keep this anxiety at bay is to obssess in thoughts and perhaps perform compulsive behaviors.

Some kids may get mislabeled as ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder), but a good clinician will be able to make an accurate diagnosis.

As a psychologist, I do treat people who come to see me for a variety of problems including ADD, OCD, ODD, and depression.

Jeff

M

majikstreet

Hi,
GTD helps you be more organized and complete tasks, right? This makes you feel better about yourself. Depressed people (I am one of them) generally feel bad about themselves. Being organized and accomplishing tasks makes people feel better. True, GTD isn't a replacement for a drug.

A note about the endorphins: When you exercise or complete tasks, your body releases endorphins and causes you to feel good. They are like a natural pain-killer. In addition to completing tasks with GTD, when you first implement the system, you probably get some exercise!

Thanks,
majikstreet
(I actually haven't read the whole book-- still reading it!)

P

ProfDD

You MIGHT be right

Majikstreet

Everything you said might be true, but I would still not want to say that GTD made a long-term positive contribution to "curing" depression. An analogy: there are plenty of drugs that relieve symptoms, but make a negative long-term contribution to recovery from the disease they purport to treat.