Does GTD make it too easy not to do things

ivanjay205

Registered
I am a long time gtder and I feel super organized with it. When my system is off, I get frazzled and a good review gets it back on track.

That being said because I am so comfortable with my lists I almost find to a fault it is too easy to not do what is there. Because it will be there when I can get to it. I know that is the idea but in some ways I like the plan of here is what you should accomplish today.

I have been looking at skedpal which is an automated time blocking solution. It looks like I could use this in conjunction with gtd theories to create a gtd system utilizing time blocking.

Curious on thoughts, if anyone has done anything like this, or am I going down a path I shouldnt!

Thanks in advance!

cfoley

Registered
The closest I have ever come to anything like that is setting "do on dates". I tried that for a while at the start of my DTD journey. What I found is that by the time I had done all the "do on actions" for the day, I had little time for anything else.

Rather than a confident feeling of control that I get from GTD nowadays, back then I had a feeling of loss of autonomy. I was a slave to the system that I had built for myself.

Since then, I have shied away from most systems that micromanage my time for me. Maybe I'm cranking fewer widgets now, but I feel more connected to my higher horizons.

ivanjay205

Registered
The closest I have ever come to anything like that is setting "do on dates". I tried that for a while at the start of my DTD journey. What I found is that by the time I had done all the "do on actions" for the day, I had little time for anything else.

Rather than a confident feeling of control that I get from GTD nowadays, back then I had a feeling of loss of autonomy. I was a slave to the system that I had built for myself.

Since then, I have shied away from most systems that micromanage my time for me. Maybe I'm cranking fewer widgets now, but I feel more connected to my higher horizons.
Funny this is a very interesting point.... Thinking about what you wrote and reflecting about it I do find that I am doing things MUCH more connected to my higher horizons and the things sitting are not as connected to that list. So at first glance that is a good thing.

HOWEVER, interesting enough I do have some other things that while not directly connected to my higher horizons they are a requirement of my role. So I need to figure out how to plan time to engage in them whether or not they help me achieve my long term goals and aspirations

Mountaineer

Registered
I have been looking at skedpal which is an automated time blocking solution. It looks like I could use this in conjunction with gtd theories to create a gtd system utilizing time blocking.
Skedpal is a really great piece of software, I love it and thought it'd make me Mr Superorganized. But even though I'm a programmer, I just couldn't handle it's complexity.

Now, it may work for you. But if you more or less ignore what you want to do today, then my guess is that Skedpal won't help much. Nothing easier than to click "reschedule" and let the magic happen.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I have been working with a GTD Focus Coach (Julie Ireland - she is outstanding!), and she said this about actions and projects or whatever commitment you have: What are the things I do that require more structure? If I sense I need to time block more for that project or Area of Focus, then I decide that I need more structured calendar time to engage with these.

Shady Waxwing

Registered
Curious on thoughts, if anyone has done anything like this, or am I going down a path I shouldnt!

Thanks in advance!
You can try it and find out if it's a path that works for you.

You may find that letting software or any person tell you how to spend your time gradually results in being out of alignment with your higher horizons. No one else knows you, your values, or your current reality and concerns well enough to make informed choices about what's best for you in any moment.

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
I couldn't resist paraphrasing David Allen (he talks about time):

If you are properly organized, you don't need a new tool. If you're not, a new tool won't help...

Not sure if this is of any help, but the quote, at least the original, is good nevertheless!

ivanjay205

Registered
Skedpal is a really great piece of software, I love it and thought it'd make me Mr Superorganized. But even though I'm a programmer, I just couldn't handle it's complexity.

Now, it may work for you. But if you more or less ignore what you want to do today, then my guess is that Skedpal won't help much. Nothing easier than to click "reschedule" and let the magic happen.
Yea I think you are spot on here. It is complex. I dabbled and today saw why this experiment needs to stop. I like to watch the apple events. But I can do computer work while its on as background. Well skedpal had me making phone calls during it, no can do. I after spending two hours playing with time maps. I have a presentation to make in two weeks and it did appropriately reserve time today and tomorrow to do prep work on it. I ignored it today of course. So to your point I need a shock collar for when ai hit update schedule to be effective I guess lol

ivanjay205

Registered
I couldn't resist paraphrasing David Allen (he talks about time):

If you are properly organized, you don't need a new tool. If you're not, a new tool won't help...

Not sure if this is of any help, but the quote, at least the original, is good nevertheless!
It is a help. Since I often succomb to new toys or the ideas of them I even have a weekly affirmation to stop wasting time playing with new software. Guess I should listen to me.

Boxy07

Registered
I am a long time gtder and I feel super organized with it. When my system is off, I get frazzled and a good review gets it back on track.

That being said because I am so comfortable with my lists I almost find to a fault it is too easy to not do what is there. Because it will be there when I can get to it. I know that is the idea but in some ways I like the plan of here is what you should accomplish today.

Thanks in advance!
I used Skedpal a couple of years ago and found it very helpful in keeping me orgnaised. It was pricey though so I eventually gave up using it. But yes, an excellent product nonetheless.

I also get what you're saying with the easy to let it slide part of G.T.D. as I do this also. But I wouldnt choose any other way.

Mrs-Polifax

Registered
I have been working with a GTD Focus Coach (Julie Ireland - she is outstanding!), and she said this about actions and projects or whatever commitment you have: What are the things I do that require more structure? If I sense I need to time block more for that project or Area of Focus, then I decide that I need more structured calendar time to engage with these.

Hi, Longstreet. Congratulations on your decision to work with Julie Ireland! I've been watching the GTD Focus coaching videos over the last few months, and I've found them inspiring. Julie's approach especially touches me. If I could work with a GTD coach, I would also choose Julie Ireland.