Does it worth duplicating existing project management system?

Borisoff

Registered
I'd like my project managers use GTD. They use a database that automatically daily in the morning when they enter the system extracts the tasks for the day. Actually each of the tasks is a mini-project (a group of tasks i.e. sign XYZ documents or push ABC subcontractor). But it looks like it would be a waste of time to transfer them daily into GTD system as the tasks are usually easy to understand and obvious. What's your experience? How do you work in an environment of other Project Management software?

hth

Registered
Borisoff;53138 said:
I'd like my project managers use GTD. They use a database that automatically daily in the morning when they enter the system extracts the tasks for the day. Actually each of the tasks is a mini-project (a group of tasks i.e. sign XYZ documents or push ABC subcontractor). But it looks like it would be a waste of time to transfer them daily into GTD system as the tasks are usually easy to understand and obvious. What's your experience? How do you work in an environment of other Project Management software?

I hope I correctly understood you: The project managers get in the morning a list of actions which have to be done on that specific day and hand it to you. They expect, that you work according to this list and complete it that day.

If this is correct it seems to me that entering it in GTD would be unnecessary because it generates only overhead. You have got a list where further planning is needless and simple doing is needed.

If I didn't get the idea, please explain further.

Yours
Alexander

Borisoff

Registered
Alexander, you got me right. The only misunderstanding that it's me who assigns tasks in the morning. Not directly but automatically through project management database :)

Brent

Registered
Looks like the database is handling their Projects and Next Actions. So if I were in your shoes, I'd focus on the other aspects of GTD - Waiting For, Weekly Review, higher-level views, etc.

cornell

Registered
For folks like your staff who already have a project tool that's more complex that simply a list of projects and their actions, it makes sense to keep them separate. I'd recommend their treating the tasks outputted by the system as a separate action list, possibly with different priorities during the day. The key is they work *both* their GTD system (which will have non-software-related projects, actions, waiting for, and calendar) and the tasks generated by the software.

This approach applies to other systems like customer service tickets, software bug and project tracking, and more complex planning/Gantt systems.

Hope that helps.

deekod

Registered
excel issue and risk logs for project management

I use excel issue and risk logs for project management and distribute them as required by email/hard copy at meeting when escalation is required beyond project manager level, the sheets have columns for task owner & due date.

For delegation people simply open the excel sheet and sort actions by their initials, I ask they do this every couple of days to keep in touch with the project.

So for work actions, I have a project management tool and actions lists on excel, I use Thinking Rock to implement GTD for all private projects & actions.

Here's a list of PM templates including risk and issue logs here...

http://www2.cdc.gov/cdcup/document_library/document_matrix.asp

Hope this helps,

Derek.