Duplicate project tasks when putting next actions on respective context list

benedikt

Registered
Hello,

Disclaimer: I am using a paper organiser.

I want to employ context lists more heavily and was wondering what the best practice here is. Does one create tasks on a project list and when it is time for the next action, copies that over to the context list? Or does it get "moved" to avoid duplicates.

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks and best,
Benedikt

mcogilvie

Registered
I’ve done it both ways, sometimes within a few minutes. It doesn’t seem to make much difference if I’m reasonably on top of things, scanning lists frequently, doing weekly reviews, et cetera. Duplicates get weeded out when it feels like the duplication is not needed, for example when the task is done or I’m clear on what’s happening. You might think about how you want to do things when you’re really sick and have too much to do.

manynothings

Registered
I like to stick with removing the link between actions and projects, so I have a separate "actions" list and "projects" list. I don't keep track of upcoming tasks, but I do use project plans for more complex projects needing that sort of fleshing out.

samuel.d.kang

Registered
The classic question of, "Should I link my next actions to my project list?"

Long story short, it's a personal choice.

With digital, it's much easier to link your next actions with your project list since many programs are near automatic so most are like why not.

With analog it can become more cumbersome with all the rewriting. If you're doing your Weekly Reviews consistently, then most opt to not link them since you'll be up to speed on your next actions and progress of your projects. Notice though I said linking next actions to your project lists, not project support material. There are projects where you need to flush out the details via Natural Planning Model, Gant Chart, van diagram etc... Those can have a list of next actions and queued actions etc... Enough planning to get it off your mind. Then you can transfer those to your context lists (next actions lists). During your Weekly Review, you can review both your project list and project support material to have everything "re-synced."

So yeah personal choice, and it's a choice that can vary depending on the complexity of the project itself.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
Sam

Tom_Hagen

Registered
Hello,

[...]
Benedikt
I do not use a paper organizer, but if I did, I would use the following solution on the project note, I would list all the following next actions - if it was possible. For most projects, you can do this. Then I would rewrite the next action from individual projects into lists with contexts. In addition, I would number the projects in ascending order and put a number surrounded by a circle in the next steps to be able to refer to the project if necessary. It is true that it requires a bit more work, but first of all, you have an algorithm for the execution of the project and, secondly, you have ready lists according to contexts, which you can quickly browse and choose something to do. After completing a given action, I would cross them out, look at the project, cross them out there as well and rewrite the next ones for execution.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I would number the projects in ascending order and put a number surrounded by a circle in the next steps to be able to refer to the project if necessary. It is true that it requires a bit more work, but first of all, you have an algorithm for the execution of the project and, secondly, you have ready lists according to contexts, which you can quickly browse and choose something to do. After completing a given action, I would cross them out, look at the project, cross them out there as well and rewrite the next ones for execution.
I spoke with someone several years ago who successfully used this kind of numbering system to link projects and actions in a paper system.

benedikt

Registered
This referencing sounds really reasonable. A few weeks in, I even put the next actions on multiple contexts.

It is certainly more tedious, but for personal reasons, this paper variant has more benefits.

I have ADD and using paper works much better for me.

schmeggahead

Registered
I also use a paper system for my project lists and project support, including upcoming tasks.

When it comes time to make a task available to me on my contexts lists, I simply use a diagonal up arrow to symbolize moving it to a list. I let the NA list track the completion. My next action lists are not on paper, so I use a project tag when I add it to a NA list. I document the project tag name on my paper project control sheet housed with my paper project list.

I really don't like duplication because of so long living in IT where a definitive system of record for any given value avoided problems. There is only one place a next action is active. When I place the diagonal upward arrow, project support is no longer the system of record for the status of that NA, my contexts lists are.

Hope this helps.
Clayton.

Once upon a time, I found an upward facing dime and that day turned out to be lots of fun. - me.

Tep

Registered
I use paper too, and I proceed this way ;
Most of the times projects includes tasks that need to be completed at a precise date or at a certain week. The first case is easy to solve by writting the task at the date.
I treat the other situation by writting the task in my agenda to the page of the week.

If a task is an isolated one (out of any project) I write it to the right context.

Concerning the link I use key word for my projects.
For example "prepare the season courses for my Taichi group" is represented by the Key word "taichi-courses". So when I write the tasks related to this project to the page of the week I begin by "taichi-courses : etc...."

Hope to help

gtdstudente

Registered
Hello,

I want to employ context lists more heavily and was wondering what the best practice here is. Does one create tasks on a project list and when it is time for the next action, copies that over to the context list? Or does it get "moved" to avoid duplicates.

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks and best,
Benedikt
Paper adds beneficial 'tactile anchoring' making list(s) less abstract by 'doubling' the engagement when compared to visual only digital . . . Paper-&-Pen are huge . . . ask ADD Sir Richard Branson

fooddude

Registered
I think people over think projects. I have a list of projects. Looks like an old to do list. I look at the project and put the next action on my next action list. When i'm done with that action, I move on. Put the next action on my list (or not). When i do my review, if I want to move the project forward, I put next action on my NA List. Repeat til project is complete. You don't want to make a separate file for every project. and i never have an issue with knowing what the exact next step is. I don't put the individual project in a "bin" with all the next actions listed and then move them to a next action list when I come to them.