Eight reasons I no longer use a paper planner

C

cdevidal

I used to have a nice leather planner but switched to a Palm Vx a few years ago. (I know it's old but hey it works so why upgrade?)

Eight reasons:
1.) I have atrocious handwriting. :)
2.) Writing (for me) is somewhat painful, but I can type at about 50wpm.
3.) Transferring data from my computer to my Palm is as easy as copy+paste.
4.) I read my Bible every day. Carrying a Bible plus leather planner is a burden. Plus it has a nice searchable concordance which is great for looking up verses when, for example, engaging an atheist in discussion.
5.) If I would like to read something else than the Bible or play a game I can pop into Acrobat or Boxman.
6.) Paper planners (of the size I used to use*) can't be popped in and out of a pocket.
7.) Paper planners can't be backed up with the push of a button. What happens if you lose your paper planner, as happened to me once? My backups are also copied to a remote server in case of fire/hurricane/Technology-eating aliens from the planet Zotokry.
8.) Paper calendars don't beep when it's time for an appointment. I'd heard this from a bank president back in 2000. He said this was his #1 reason. It began me thinking, and when I missed two appointments, I switched.

* I have since learned of the Hipster and PocketMod.com PAAs (Personal Analog Assistants). Much smaller in size but not without the other restrictions. Not to mention the added burden of replicating the data to the next week's incarnation.

Paper feels good and clean and retro, but because the Palm OS is so well thought-out I can't see that I'm really missing anything. Just learned about DoodleBug so now I can actually draw on my Palm. OS 3.5.5 didn't have the drawable Notepad that the later versions did. Paper might even give some of you a "spiritual" feeling of retro simplicity but for me it was not worth the detractions.

Plus I still have options. I could certainly write on a piece of paper and later transfer to the Palm.

What reasons do you have for choosing paper over Palm?

kewms

Registered
1. I have atrocious handwriting, too. Which means I can read it, but my computer can't. What's on paper, stays on paper.

2. I can write faster than I can type, and far faster than I can use Graffiti. And I can write in situations where a computer would be too clumsy and/or intrusive.

3. One system = no need to transfer data.

4. Not relevant for me. (Off the topic of your post, I wouldn't expect an atheist to be terribly impressed by Biblical quotations. (Or quotations from any other religious scripture.) As universal wisdom, maybe. As evidence for the existence of a Supreme Being, no. )

5. Numerous paper-based entertainment options exist. I've also learned that I don't actually need to have more than one or two entertainment options available at any given time. Long periods of downtime (like airplanes) usually offer opportunities to plan accordingly.

6. True, but a single sheet of paper will fit almost anywhere. I rarely need to carry more than that with me.

7. I've lost more data to electronic disasters than I've ever lost on paper. Also, I do keep static reference information (like address books) electronically. Paper information is more ephemeral.

8. If I need an alarm clock or appointment reminder, I can carry one. I usually don't need one.

9. Been there, done that. I carried a Palm for many years, but I quit carrying one this spring and don't miss it.

Katherine

P

pageta

Why I use paper:

I can type 85 wpm but I still hate data entry, and no, it's not just a matter of copying and pasting from my computer

I can format things however I want them. Just because I wanted to be reminded to do something as of yesterday but not necessarily do it right away doesn't mean that it's bold red today (aka overdue).

I don't have $$$ to spend on some electronic equipment.

I've used eletronic before, but backing things up and data entry got really old really fast.

And backups that fail? As in, they re-write the software to backup your computer to your hard drive instead of the floppy and you lose 6 months worth of data? Still makes my blood boil when I think of it. You couldn't pay me enough to use electronic to make it worth risking going through that again.

The programs never work the way I want them to. They may do all sorts of fancy things, but there's always some obvious stupid thing they don't do that annoys me every time I use them. Trying to make what someone else has designed work for me is not my idea of fun. Writing my own software - too time consuming. With paper, I can change how things look whenever I want - I don't necessarily need to know all issues in advance.

I've never lost a paper planner, but if I did, it would just give me a fresh start. It may help me greatly with day to day living, but a fresh start would not be the end of the world. I don't have an address book in my paper planner or anything else criticial like that - just my lists of things to do. If it's really important that I do something, I would remember it eventually. With computer programs, on the other hand, such as Netscape updating itself on my computer without my knowledge and deleting all of my Bookmarks, now that made me angry. Hate technology!

I don't have to worry about keeping it charged. Pens are easy to come by and so is paper.

I like crossing things off and seeing what I have accomplished without having to go back in and manually delete each crossed off item at the end of the week. New page with the handful of leftover items and a fresh start - love it!

I can record thoughts and ideas on the same type of page as I can write a new list. I don't have to worry about using some software appropriately so I will be able to find things (supposedly).

Don't miss search because I know where things are because I have things organized. Search engines always bring up 90% garbage and 10% what I actually need, and I hate weeding through the garbage.

Those are some of the reasons why I choose paper over Palm. But really, whatever works for you. It sounds like you have great reasons for loving your Palm - use and enjoy!

AdamMiller81

Registered
Seems like my reasons are pretty similar, but I'll breakd them down.

1) Likewise, my writing is pretty brutal, but I can understand it, and hey, I can always use the practice :) Plus, its quicker than Graffiti (I used to use a Sony Clie) and typing is faster, true, but I find that paper is more flexible for these basic uses.

2) See 1.

3) I very rarely have to rewrite anything, or if I do, its usually transcribing some notes from meetings, half of which I find I don't need, and the other half needs some editing anyways, so they'd require pretty much the same amount of work, and that's if I could enter info as quickly with Graffiti or a thumb keyboard (a la treo/bb) as even though I have a laptop, I don't really work at the type of organization where I'd carry it to meetings and not get some looks.

4) I read a lot of books for fun, and usually have at least one with me, plus when you throw in my iPod and a few other things, I'm carrying a bag of some sort with me anyways (laptop case, man bag ;) etc.)

5) Likewise to # 4. And There are some good sudoku books which fit in my junior size planner and still allow me to close it, for if I'm just carrying that.

6) See the comment on the man bag.

7) My project support materials aren't in the planner anyways, and I've got an electronic calendar that I keep up to date in addition to my planner (works for me), so the worst I would lose would be my list of NA's, which I could reconstruct if need be in an hour or two, generally by doing a good weekly review anyways.

8) If I'm at my desk, Outlook will beep for an appointment, otherwise, I'm checking the paper calendar as much as necessary to not have to worry about it anyways that I notice when stuff is coming up.

Plus, paper is discrete from the office computer system, so I don't have all my personal tasks sitting on the exchange server.

Then there is the money factor, and once I've made the initial $50 investment in my paper planner, I can run it off relatively inexpensive pens which I'd be using anyways, paper I can either get on sale or at work, and free templates from DIYPlanner or purchased templates through work.

TesTeq

Registered
Backup using mobile phone's 1 megapiksel camera.

cdevidal said:
7.) Paper planners can't be backed up with the push of a button. What happens if you lose your paper planner, as happened to me once? My backups are also copied to a remote server in case of fire/hurricane/Technology-eating aliens from the planet Zotokry.
You can easily backup all pages of your paper planner using your mobile phone's 1 megapiksel camera.

C

cdevidal

kewms said:
3. One system = no need to transfer data.

You've never transferred some computer-based information into your paper system by hand? I had to, it annoyed me.

kewms said:
(Off the topic of your post, I wouldn't expect an atheist to be terribly impressed by Biblical quotations. (Or quotations from any other religious scripture.)

Off topic, yes.

You're right, I fully do not expect an atheist to be impressed with what they think is nothing more than the fanciful writings of a pink unicorn.

But I think you're missing something because I didn't go into detail. I was speaking in instances where an atheist is trying to disprove the Bible by quoting the Bible, or when they have begun to see the need for the Savior. So yes, I have actually needed to search for a Scripture with my concordance while out talking to people like atheists. It would have been quite difficult if I used a paper system -- I don't carry books everywhere.

I don't intend to go down this rabbit trail here in the forum, so if you'd like to discuss this further please email me: Chris (AT) deVidal (DOT) tv. You will get an automatic reply, click the link.

kewms

Registered
cdevidal said:
You've never transferred some computer-based information into your paper system by hand? I had to, it annoyed me.

Send to printer. Punch holes in paper. Done.

Katherine

C

cdevidal

AdamMiller81 said:
8) If I'm at my desk, Outlook will beep for an appointment, otherwise, I'm checking the paper calendar as much as necessary to not have to worry about it anyways that I notice when stuff is coming up.

I'm not always at my desk and I guess one just has to get into the habit of looking at the time/calendar very frequently. I didn't, and I missed two appointments, which is when I finally got fed up with paper.

AdamMiller81 said:
Then there is the money factor, and once I've made the initial $50 investment in my paper planner, I can run it off relatively inexpensive pens which I'd be using anyways, paper I can either get on sale or at work, and free templates from DIYPlanner or purchased templates through work.

My Vx is a work loaner, so I'm immediately saving money (but then, so was the leather planner) :-D

PDAs have now come under a $100. If I needed to replace my Vx I could get one on eBay for about $60. Your investment over a few years is likely to come to about $60. I'd say this is a draw.

C

cdevidal

pageta said:
Don't miss search

Oh yeah, forgot about that one! I *would* miss search if it were gone.

Make that my reason #9.

pageta said:
Those are some of the reasons why I choose paper over Palm. But really, whatever works for you. It sounds like you have great reasons for loving your Palm - use and enjoy!

Totally agree. Not dissing paper, just telling you why I don't use it anymore. Me, personally. I think #8 (paper doesn't beep) is the biggest.

C

cdevidal

pageta said:
And backups that fail? As in, they re-write the software to backup your computer to your hard drive instead of the floppy and you lose 6 months worth of data? Still makes my blood boil when I think of it. You couldn't pay me enough to use electronic to make it worth risking going through that again.

I guess it's because I work with software backups all day long that I trust them. I know how to run them, I know how to make sure they're always working.

My backups are stored in two buildings miles apart so in case those technology-eating aliens from the planet Zotokry do hit my work office I can recover.

But if that ever happens, I'll probably have bigger things to worry about :grin:

C

cdevidal

kewms said:
Send to printer. Punch holes in paper. Done.

Yeah I suppose so.

I'm not dissing paper, really. What could I possibly have against it? Just saying why I choose a Palm instead.

Max

Registered
cdevidal said:
What reasons do you have for choosing paper over Palm?
I ditch the palm a while back.

Eight reasons:
1.) I have atrocious handwriting - but it's better that my graffiti
2.) I can type fast too. but I type on a computer not my palm. SoI find it just as easy to print the info as it is to sync.
3.) Transferring data from my computer to my Planner - again print.
4.) I read my Bible every day, well at least once a week (Carrying a Bible should not be a burden.) But I find ebooks include the Bible to be the only reason my Palm isn't filed in File13. {...rant deleted regarding verse quoting...}
5.) Can flip to my reference section. Or doodle on a blank page.
6.) Screen too small to see all the info i need at one time.
7.) Don't have to worry about backing it up. I know that it contains the one accurate version of my system.
8.) No interruptions in my thought process due to that annoying beep.

alsa

Registered
7 years with a Palm (OK, about 5 of them) -- have never looked back at a paper organizer. I always have a weekly backup of my Palm on the computer, so data loss is no issue for me. My current Palm also has a horizontal keyboard, and entering data is much faster with it even though I am very good with Graffiti as well.

I realize PDAs are no longer in vogue (since about 3 years ago -- many factors here), and smartphones and Ipods are all the rage now, but my Palm does everything I need -- fast, reliably, and (one of David's favorite words) elegantly.

alsa

Registered
Max said:
I ditch the palm a while back.

Eight reasons:
1.) I have atrocious handwriting - but it's better that my graffiti
2.) I can type fast too. but I type on a computer not my palm. SoI find it just as easy to print the info as it is to sync.
3.) Transferring data from my computer to my Planner - again print.
4.) I read my Bible every day, well at least once a week (Carrying a Bible should not be a burden.) But I find ebooks include the Bible to be the only reason my Palm isn't filed in File13. {...rant deleted regarding verse quoting...}
5.) Can flip to my reference section. Or doodle on a blank page.
6.) Screen too small to see all the info i need at one time.
7.) Don't have to worry about backing it up. I know that it contains the one accurate version of my system.
8.) No interruptions in my thought process due to that annoying beep.

Being able to turn the beep off is the easiest thing you can do on a PDA (or Palm specifically) -- let's be serious, please. That's the least we can do. :)

Max

Registered
alsa said:
Being able to turn the beep off is the easiest thing you can do on a PDA (or Palm specifically) -- let's be serious, please. That's the least we can do. :)
No problem.

Actually I never used the beep. I don't want by pda (or outlook for that matter) interrupting my workflow.

Jamie Elis

Registered
Best practices for either

The real issue is not which one is best but how you feel about how you work with it and how well you feel it supports you in your various efforts.

Clearly if you wish to carry around reference materials, whether it is bible or prescribing information, the PDA is lighter and readily searchable.

When you use something over and over again in the course of a day, the specifics of how you do it either make it work well or detract from your work. If your reference material is just one page, it works well to put it in apaper planner.

I would like to see more along the lines of "8 things I do to make my PDA work for me". For example, I am planning on setting it to beep to remind me to check the day's hard landscape and to scan ahead, something I did often with the paper one that cued me on many levels.

davidr521

Registered
One Place = One Place

Whether it's PigPog, ping-pong or whatever...

Use whatever best suits you. I've got a whiteboard with little boxes of high-level tasks (whether it's a @WaitingFor, NextAction, or whatever) that stare me in the face until they're done. Then I erase them. ;-D

When I wrote my "hard landscape" down on paper, I saw what I've got to do. It's pretty simple, it's pretty small, and I can fold it up and put it in my pocket. I can add to it, and cross stuff off.

With the number of fires I have to put out on a daily basis, I don't have time to do anything but scribble them down.

*All in one place is the key*.

IMHO.

B

Big Wes

The best of both worlds?

I use a Tablet PC, which gives me the best aspects of both worlds. I have the free-form note-taking flexibility of paper combined with the search-ability and storage capacity of an electronic medium. I used a paper planner, switched to a PDA (an ancient Handspring Visor) and then went back to paper after the PDA wasn't meeting all of my needs (plus I just loved scrawling notes in my planner).

I stumbled across the Tablet PC a little over a year ago while notebook searching and was very interested. So I bought one, and haven't looked back since. I use Outlook 2003 along with an add-in, Tablet Enhancements for Outlook 3.0. This makes Outlook ink-enabled and replicates the feel of a paper planner quite nicely. I can create handwritten appointments, contacts, meeting notes, and journal entries all in one program. However, I also use MindManager 6 Pro in combination with OL to visually represent my projects, NA list, and to aid in my weekly reviews. I can also carry tons of project support materials in PDF format wherever I go, so I can knock out some @computer NAs whenever I have a few spare minutes. The system is working very nicely for me.

Of course there are a few drawbacks to using a Tablet PC, such as the cost and limitations imposed by battery life (though with some power-management techniques, I can easily make it through an 8-hour conference without needing a recharge). However, the benefits of my system, for me at least, have greatly outweighed the negatives. That's the great thing about GTD--it can be adapted to whatever system best fits your needs. I like paper, loathed my PDA, but absolutely love using my Tablet PC.

C

cdevidal

I suppose two things also helped me choose a Palm vs. paper.

1.) I sit at a computer ALOT. Very rarely can I not type in notes.
2.) I've become paper-phobic in other ways (rarely do I print anything). Paper feels like too much mess. Two monitors helps keep notes on one screen and work on the other.

W

webhak

cdevidal said:
I suppose two things also helped me choose a Palm vs. paper.

1.) I sit at a computer ALOT. Very rarely can I not type in notes.

Same here. I sit behind one from 8-5 every weekday and often several hours weeknights and weekends.

I've had paper planners, Palms and Pocket PCs, so I have some experience with these systems.

The gadget freak in me will always lean toward electronic toys. I like the flexibility of the electronic solutions and their portability. That's one of the main reasons I switched from the paper models to the Palm Vx years ago. I recently switched back to paper because I do stare at a computer all day. I was getting tired of having to run to the computer for everything. My life centered on my ability to have power (of the electrical kind) available.

I read about the Hipster PDA and found it intriguing at first. I tried it a couple times and couldn't get it to stick. Finally fed up with staring at any sort of electronic screen, I went completely Amish with my organizational system about four months ago.

You can see how I'm using it here: http://theoutdoorjourney.com/journey/?p=118. This mainly details how I use it for fitness training, in addition to organizing my life, but you may get some ideas.

Yes, I still have my electronic PDA. I use it mainly to synch my address book and calendar between the home and office computers.

webhak