Email best pratices

ckennedy

Registered
For a long time I have sent emails that I need to take action on to my task manager. This sometimes results in a lot of emails to process and organize. I am thinking of trying to manage them via action folders in my email client.
I'm curious how many track email tasks in their email client vs a task manager?

Gardener

Registered
I don't do either. An email has too much overhead and clutter for me to use it as the action. If an email triggers an action, I type that action into my task manager. If it's likely that I'll need to email when I get to the task, AND it's likely that I'll have trouble finding the email, I may add a reference to the email. (say, "email Joe 5/10")

One exception is my "read this" folder, where I do dump emails that refer to things I should read or watch.

Dave Edwards

Registered
Once I’ve read an email, I decide if I want to keep it or trash it. If I keep it, I move it to an archive folder within my email client and rely on the search feature to recall it whenever it is needed.

if it relates to a task or project, I post it in Evernote which is my home base. I have this video demonstration to share:

https://daveedwardsmedia.com/2021/04/30/tracking-projects-and-clients-with-evernote/

Hope that helps.

Dave

Oogiem

Registered
I'm like @Gardener I don't do either one. I read emails and then restate the actions from them and put those into my task manager. I will then file the email as project support material if I think I might need it to do the action or put it in my Reference folder in my email client.

If I have something to read I may leave the email in the inbox until I have time to read it. I've tried read later folders and those become a graveyard of stuff so for me I'll deal with an inbox that is not empty for a few days rather than create another inbox of read it later things.

Sojourner

Registered
For a long time I have sent emails that I need to take action on to my task manager. This sometimes results in a lot of emails to process and organize. I am thinking of trying to manage them via action folders in my email client.
I learned from the book "The Getting Things Done Workbook: 10 Moves to Stress-Free Productivity" to make my email into an inbox and organize it into folders/labels (e.g. Next Actions, Waiting For) for processing. This has helped me in processing my emails and keeping track of tasks I need to follow-up on or monitor. I personally just found it easier to work directly out of my email rather than spending time moving tasks back and forth between my task manager.

I also use David's two minute rule with email. If I can read it and/or respond to it in less than two minutes, I do it and move on to the next. If it needs some sort of action or follow-up, that's when I move it to the appropriate folder/label. If I think I might absolutely need it later, I archive it and forget it. Otherwise, I just delete it. The two minute rule may also depend on the volume of email you receive. I only process an average of ~200 emails per day. I probably respond to, file, or archive less than 25% of those emails. Most are glance over, be aware of something, and delete, or they are simply junk.

Here is a post I made about how I setup my email: https://forum.gettingthingsdone.com/threads/received-invoices-on-action-list.16875/#post-129122