email to reminder app

tedpenner

Registered
mickmel;64107 said:
Nozbe and Google Calendar will as well.

Google Calendar can even add items via SMS, Nozbe can add items via Twitter, and they both allow you to add items via Jott. Lots of options.
Mickmel, Thank you. I have looked close a Nozbe. I do not see where it has the ability to 'remind' me of calendar items? If I can get reminders on my iPhone then this is solved. Can you point that out?

mickmel

Registered
tedpenner;64109 said:
Mickmel, Thank you. I have looked close a Nozbe. I do not see where it has the ability to 'remind' me of calendar items? If I can get reminders on my iPhone then this is solved. Can you point that out?

That's a good point -- I don't think it will physically remind you. Two thoughts:

1 - If you assign a date to a task in Nozbe, it will automatically become a Next Action on it's due date. A nice touch.
2 - Items in Google Calendar can be set to give you SMS reminders. I set my default SMS reminder to 10 minutes for any new item. Now, if I add an item to Google Calendar in any way (Jott, SMS, etc), I'll get an SMS reminder to my iPhone.

With this in mind, I use Nozbe for tasks with due DATES ("design wireframe for new site by Feb 3") and I use Google Calendar for meetings and other items with specific TIMES. It works well.

tedpenner

Registered
mickmel;64112 said:
That's a good point -- I don't think it will physically remind you. Two thoughts:

1 - If you assign a date to a task in Nozbe, it will automatically become a Next Action on it's due date. A nice touch.
2 - Items in Google Calendar can be set to give you SMS reminders. I set my default SMS reminder to 10 minutes for any new item. Now, if I add an item to Google Calendar in any way (Jott, SMS, etc), I'll get an SMS reminder to my iPhone.

With this in mind, I use Nozbe for tasks with due DATES ("design wireframe for new site by Feb 3") and I use Google Calendar for meetings and other items with specific TIMES. It works well.
Hmmm That makes sense for Nozbe, so "everything" non-time specific, Nozbe takes care of with a native iPhone app on the way! Am I getting that correctly?

1) About time-specific? It looks like the calendar that comes with the iPhone has a reminder feature not dependent on SMS. So that would only leave the "how-to enter items into-it" issue. I feel like the quickest entry for me at work, will be the website, second to email. Can you enter calendar items from the iPhone website?

2) I like your site. What is your high-tech solution for the tickler file?

mickmel

Registered
tedpenner;64113 said:
Hmmm That makes sense for Nozbe, so "everything" non-time specific, Nozbe takes care of with a native iPhone app on the way! Am I getting that correctly?
Correct. Meetings and appointments go directly into Google Calendar. Any other task goes in Nozbe, with or without a due date.

I feel like the quickest entry for me at work, will be the website, second to email. Can you enter calendar items from the iPhone website?
I don't know for sure. I use an iPhone app called SaiSuke, which is a mobile Google Calendar (free "lite" version available, full version $10). I like to keep my options open, so Google Calendar works great -- enter items via web, call them in via Jott, txt them in via SMS, etc.

2) I like your site. What is your high-tech solution for the tickler file?
I'm still struggling with that. I use a variety of things, but often just put items on the calendar as reminders out into the future. It's not the best answer. I need to get a better handle on how best to use ticklers theoretically, then how best to implement them technologically. I've got most of my GTD system running well, but that's a hole in it right now.

tedpenner

Registered
almost resolved - time specific action reminders and tickler remain

mickmel,
This is great stuff! Thank you for sharing this with me. I'll continue a recap just to solidify it in my own consciousness.

My system - not yet in place

PRIMARY LOCATIONS:
1) Work Outlook - Most of my time during the day is spent in front of my Outlook email at work which I am prohibited from syncing to in any form. I am not prohibited from sending email or receiving email via Outlook. Gmail is prohibited at work.
2) iPhone
3) Home PC where I use Gmail

STUFF:
Evernote - My electronic reference system. It is outstanding and can even be referenced from my iPhone via it's native app if you really needed to.

Actionables include the following:
Nozbe - (entry via web or email) for non 'time' sensitive. Can contain due 'dates' which are starred next actions but no reminders for 'time sensitive' data. The 'tickler' is not well handled by Nozbe out-of-the box. It seems as though there is potentially a way to do that with Nozbe.

Time Specific items requiring 'reminding'. - You mention Google and I like the fact that there is a native app to use with it. I'd rather not have to pay for reminding though tying me to SMS services. I already pay for Evernote but currently use the free Nozbe service. If I can send to the native Apple iPhone calendar via email, then that issue is resolved entirely.

Still testing for 'time specific' actionables, and for a tickler system.

mickmel

Registered
Sounds like a pretty solid system.

tedpenner;64128 said:
Evernote - My electronic reference system. It is outstanding and can even be referenced from my iPhone via it's native app.
Agreed. Evernote is GREAT.

I already pay for Evernote but currently use the free Nozbe service.
I'm the opposite for now. Free Evernote but I pay for Nozbe. I have 44 projects open in Nozbe which is a bit above the five free ones you get. :)

As I use Evernote more (I've just switched from using Google Notebook WITH Evernote to 100% Evernote) I'll probably have to start paying. Evernote would be so much more useful if the iPhone camera wasn't so awful.

tedpenner

Registered
mickmel;64129 said:
Sounds like a pretty solid system.

Agreed. Evernote is GREAT.

I'm the opposite for now. Free Evernote but I pay for Nozbe. I have 44 projects open in Nozbe which is a bit above the five free ones you get. :)

As I use Evernote more (I've just switched from using Google Notebook WITH Evernote to 100% Evernote) I'll probably have to start paying. Evernote would be so much more useful if the iPhone camera wasn't so awful.
I think you can 'jailbreak' the iPhone for better applications and likely something that will make the camera perform much better.

tedpenner

Registered
evernote

I think you can 'jailbreak' the iPhone for better applications and likely something that will make the camera perform much better. I'm glad you switched to Evernote. That's a neat application. The paid version of Nozbe I know I will do too. The reason I am paid with Evernot is that I can attach any type of file. I usually make a note of an item with whatever keywords I might want and then attach the file. I try to stay away from direct text and embedded pictures to the greatest extent possible.

tedpenner

Registered
tedpenner;64130 said:
I think you can 'jailbreak' the iPhone for better applications and likely something that will make the camera perform much better.

Tickler with Nozbe - looking into that.

mickmel

Registered
tedpenner;64132 said:
I sure do wish the iPhone calendar could get added to from the web and email.

I'll suggest the SaiSuke app again. It's $10, but fixes what you need because of it's sync with Google Calendar.

I also wish that the iPhone calendar had more sync/input options, but it doesn't so you just need to find the best alternative.

tedpenner

Registered
mickmel;64151 said:
I'll suggest the SaiSuke app again. It's $10, but fixes what you need because of it's sync with Google Calendar.

I also wish that the iPhone calendar had more sync/input options, but it doesn't so you just need to find the best alternative.
I agree. That works for calendaring. Reminders and tickler though are a different story. I need alarm bells to go off for some things. In terms of calendar items though while at work, I do have outlook for that. I think if I could resolve the 'tickler' thing, we would be OK. Has anyone put any thought into how to do a tickler on the iPhone?

mickmel

Registered
So, you can forget SaiSuke now -- Google can handle it even better! They've now got an option to do a real sync with the phone (via push), so that it's always up to date. SaiSuke was a great band-aid, but it had it's problems -- load to load, very slow to sync, etc. I was happy to give the guy $10 for his efforts, but I'm thrilled to be able to sync to the iPhone calendar.

details

DanGTD

Registered
tedpenner;64153 said:
I agree. That works for calendaring. Reminders and tickler though are a different story. I need alarm bells to go off for some things. In terms of calendar items though while at work, I do have outlook for that. I think if I could resolve the 'tickler' thing, we would be OK. Has anyone put any thought into how to do a tickler on the iPhone?
You may also try Gtdagenda.

Calendar items can be delivered to your e-mail, and the Checklists feature can be used as a tickler.

tedpenner

Registered
gagenda - -great idea

I've linked to this thread and made it a reference in Evernote. It will be fun to see where it finishes.

"not quite mature enough, no std app for iPhone, nice multi-context feature, author has also studied other GTD systems A+"