Email trick for "waiting for" items

KW7

Registered
I'm new to GTD and don't have much to offer but wanted to share this trick as a thank-you to others that have helped so much.

Often, I send an email to a client or coworker requesting information and I need to make sure I have a record of the request so I can follow up if necessary. In Microsoft Outlook, you can create a rule to help do this. First, I have a "Pending" folder within my inbox. When I set the priority of the email to "high" by clicking the exclamation point, the rule creates a copy of the email and moves it to "Pending". When I process my inbox everyday I check the Pending folder to see if I should delete items that are completed or follow up if there has been no action for my request.

More info about setting up rules here: link

This could all be done in Evernote by sending a blind copy of the email to Evernote but I've decided against that for two reasons. One, I don't feel Evernote is as secure so I don't want client email addresses in there and, two, if I need to follow up it's much easier just to forward the email again from my Pending folder.

I hope this is helpful to someone.

aderoy

Registered
If you are using Microsoft Outlook you can also track 'Waiting For' via Flags, Set the Flag (colour and date) to remind you n a future date.
The followup flag will display in the bottom right corner with your Tasks. Click on the item and will display the original e-mail or when due a pop-up dialog will display.