enlighten me about the labelers

germinar

Registered
Hi everyone!

I've read in the books and also a lot on personal opinions that having a Labeler is a very handy too for GTD.
Can anyone elaborate why?

I don't use so many folder, and when I do, I just write what i need on the cover with a nice pen and handwriting ;)
Whats the great thing about labelers?

thanks!

TesTeq

Registered
For those who have no nice pen and handwriting.

germinar;78926 said:
I don't use so many folder, and when I do, I just write what i need on the cover with a nice pen and handwriting ;)

Labelers are for those who have no nice pen and handwriting. :)

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Page 100 of the GTD book

Page 100 of the GTD book has a few words on why Labelers work. Best description I've seen of the mystical qualities of why to get one!

harringg

Registered
I just picked one up (PT-2700) this week, $30 off at OfficeDepot, and was in the Avery Label is 'good enough' camp. I still grumble at the wasted tape each time I print (how else do label makers make money, not on the hardware, it's the consumables), but do like the ability to quickly label a file folder and get back to what I was doing.

The file folder does have a certain 'look' to it with a labeled tab, I know at a glance what is in the folder and for me handwriting is an issue, so Avery Label on the computer or a stand-alone label maker are my only options.

pdaly

Registered
Use what works

If your handwriting is good, and you like the way your folders look, leave them the way they are.

Me, i have poor handwriting, and don't like the way folders look when they are handwritten.

I find it so much more professional looking, and I think it makes a very good impression when people see my labeled folders.

I'm a trial attorney, and I'm used to seeing adversaries with exploding accordian files. When judges and adversaries see my folders, they immediately realize I've put a great deal of time and attention into my case. It is a good first impression to make!

One time someone was ribbing me about it ("someone went crazy with the P-Touch!"), I instinctively replied "this is what separates us from the animals!" I think he got the point I was looking to make: if you care about your work, you want it to show. For me, the labels show that.

dschaffner

Registered
germinar;78926 said:
I've read in the books and also a lot on personal opinions that having a Labeler is a very handy too for GTD.
Can anyone elaborate why?

It makes filing fast, easy and fun. I love the look of a labeled folder. It's one of those little mental tricks that just works to help you stay organized.

Why not try it and see if it works for you?

bishblaize

Registered
germinar;78926 said:

For me its just the little geeky fun of typing it out, the little "buzz-whirr" as it comes out, the fun of trying to get it lined up juuust right....

David Allen reckons that if making a file folder isnt subliminally fun, you wont bother. Printing off the label and putting it into a nice neat filing cabinet full of similarly typed folders, for me, is a silly bit of fun that makes it more likely to happen.

TesTeq

Registered
Poor handwriting...

Poor handwriting... Terrible handwriting...

Isn't it the same as allowing your socks to be scattered around?

Why do so many people complain about their handwriting?

Isn't it better to write a little slower and to contemplate the beautiful shapes left by a pen or a pencil?

I think that everybody can learn nice handwriting - it's just a matter o priorities.

harringg

Registered
TesTeq;78959 said:
Why do so many people complain about their handwriting?

Isn't it better to write a little slower and to contemplate the beautiful shapes left by a pen or a pencil?

I think that everybody can learn nice handwriting - it's just a matter o priorities.

That's a fair assessment. However, I timed it and it took me less time to create a label that read "GTD Clean Labels" (10 seconds) on my QWERTY label maker than it did to "write slowly" so it was legible (18 seconds, and I felt rushed). With DA, it's all about speed, and making it fun. If it's frustrating for me to spend ~2x more time trying to make my handwriting better, I'm less likely to do it. And your assessment is true, it is about priorities. Legibility is my priority over writing slower. Maybe once I have a "mind like water", writing slower will be a priority (I can at least put it on my SomeDay list). ;)

Some of us just have poor handwriting, it's a fact. But I've overcome my 'deficit' by enhancing my computer/keyboarding skills.

letega

Registered
I gave up my labeler

For me, I was getting too upset with the cost of the labels and the frequency with which I needed to replace it. Just one more thing to plug in and take care of. It was faster to just write/print the label by hand. I have a lot less resistance doing it this way.

Now, about my handwriting, I was told by a professor in college that I should always type my papers because my handwriting made me look dumb. Well, I do print like a school age kid, but that means my letters are boxy and drawn like they are taught to first graders. So they are actually readable.

matsuru

Registered
I guess that depends on individual preferences.

Typeset label looks more neat and professional while hand-written has the "individual" feel to it.

If we are using the reference system with other people (working together sharing the filing system), i guess using labeller is the better choice. reason is not all people understand our own handwriting. It is easier and faster to read typeset than hand-writing in general. :)

Try glancing through folders of different hand-writing in different writing style, size and shape.

On the other hand, if we only use the filing system ourselves, either typeset or hand-written label is fine, as long as we can read what we write. :)

Am i making any sense?;)

P

prouddad

Great Alternative to Labeler

User complaints of cost and wasted tape are common. Why not attach a label printer to your computer with a roll of file folder labels on it? It costs around $20 for a roll of 300 file folder labels. You use your computer keyboard to type into a template on your monitor, the text you want to appear on the label.
Click on print and VOILA!

The label looks beautiful.....and this is a MUCH faster and easier process than using a label maker.

The label printer that I bought is the Brother QL-570 Professional. I paid $51 for it and I'm happy that I bought it. The roll of labels that I bought to fit perfectly on file folders is DK-1203 (white paper labels, 2/3" x 3 7/16").

I agree with what David wrote in GTD. Labeling your files with a labeler makes them look much better and easier to read than they would if you label by hand. And my printing is excellent too.

JohnV474

Registered
Labelers and handwriting

Using a labeler has advantages and disadvantages that handwritten labels do not (and vice versa).

In some cases, having a typeset label matters more--for example, in many boardrooms, or during many job interviews, etc. In other cases, it won't matter.

Handwritten labels have more of a human touch, and suggest a smaller, less professional business. Typeset labels suggest a more professional, sanitary approach.

I use a labeler. I dont like that it is only available in my workspaces. I don't like the cost of the labels. I do like the neatness of the labels.

Whether or not people should invest more time in admiring and soaking in their handwriting is a personal priority call. It would be a mistake to assume others should (morally) have the same priorities each of us has. Yes, many people could benefit (spiritually, I suppose) by learning to improve their handwriting. They may benefit more by doing something else.

JohnV474

Mark Jantzen

Registered
My Experience

I've had a lot of surprising benefit from using a labeler to make typeset files.

I was a huge skeptic when I first heard the idea and as I recall my actual thought was, "That's stupid".

But after trying it out my actual experiences were the exact opposite of my expectations.

I've got pretty good handwriting but my attraction to typeset files versus handwritten ones was huge and was the biggest seller for me. Hard to describe but I found myself actually using the files and my reference system more often and more effectively. A better GTD system was the key for me so I've stuck with using a labeler.

While the initial set-up used a lot of files and label tape I now create about one new file every week (sometimes none) so my initial concern about the cost of supplies went out the window. And since I reuse files by putting new labels over old ones there is really no (little) incremental trash impact.

My other concern was the cost of batteries or the need for an AC adapter but by being careful with powering on/off I'm actually still on my original set of batteries several years into my initial set-up.

YMMV ...

- Mark

JohnV474

Registered
Ymmv... :)

I noticed "YMMV" at the end of the previous reply by Mark. He said he makes about one new file per week.

YMMV, indeed! Even with my system fully updated, I still routinely make a dozen files a day! :)

JohnV474

lolajl

Registered
With labelers, you get big letters that stand out easily. Especially when you're in a hurry and need to find that file. As for the label roll costs, I had good luck buying these off eBay - much cheaper than buying from Staples or Office Depot.

P

productivity

I use a labeler whenever I feel I need my folders neat and uniformed. Otherwise, if I feel artistic at the moment and if I have lots of time to organize files and folders, I personally use my own handwriting. Really, it just depends on what your preferences are. Try it if it works for you though. Goodluck! ;)

manuelhe

Registered
I tried the labeler but I found that it got in the way. I was wither fiddling with jammed tape or trying to peel the tape to get it to stick. I was too concious about the cost of the refills too. Too much friction in my filing system for my taste. A marker pen is faster and just as effective for me.

I just have to make sure of two things. I need a reliable supply of sharpie pens, and I have to write slow and deliberate.

rdgeorge

Registered
Get a labeler (or two - one for home) regardless of the quality of your handwriting, and regardless of the number of files!

It truly makes a difference.

rdgeorge