• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

filing questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
Much to my surprise using a simple A to Z is really helping, it is one stop thinking to locate and add to the file, a huge saving in mental energy. I keep finding as I go through my piles lost items in folders o my desk with action labels lkike "to mail", so DA is right on this--put the action on a list and the item in a folder with its name (I have that right, do I????). Now for the questions--jow do I manage stuff I need to follow-up on pertaining to other people-- one of my kids enters a lot of writing contests and I have to do things to help her, give her stuff and get it back, similarly with husband, I need him to review something and then return it to me (he doesn't get the return part, bless him for reveiwing though), and my other kid is a real ball dropper too--stuff gets sent home for her to finish and she leaves it here and there--I find it half done --when she is in the mood and asks for the work she'll do a superlative job--after I remind her to ask me for it about 5 times (she is very young). Also, I have noticed that I have two really bad drawers for files that don't come out far enough to find the files easily. Revising the system is a long-term project--am I shooting myseklf in the foot if I start making new files for my new drawers (which are presentl,y just boxes) as I find the items--I figure a total transfer is a day-long job.Finally--we all agree that finances need their own drawer, what about and real, real important personal papers like wills, birth certificates, etc.???
 
Jamie,
I think the answer to following up is for you to put the types of items you mentioned on your @Waiting For list and review that list once per week. I would also suggest having the other person give you a date by which you can expect them to do whatever it is they are supposed to do. That way you can wait until their self-imposed deadline has passed before following-up. Secondly, it sounds like other people in your life need to read David's book! The better they become organized, the less time you will spend following-up on them.
 
Top