Filing Reference Emails

Discussion in 'PUBLIC: Discuss the GTD Methodology' started by sesteph6, Apr 16, 2018 at 7:22 AM.

?

How are you Filing your Reference Email?

1. I use 1 folder that everything goes into.

47.4%
  2. I use many topic folders.

52.6%
  1. sesteph6

sesteph6 Registered

I follow GTD pretty much by the book. So I have topic folders that I file emails in. I get between 100-200 emails per day. I now have over 150 folders to file reference emails under. Some have moved to a single folder, then use the powerful search features. DA addresses this directly in GTD and advises against it. YET... Filing has become a chore.

2. kelstarrising

kelstarrising I know some stuff about GTD

Can you find something in under 60 seconds the way you are doing it now?

3. sesteph6

sesteph6 Registered

Yes! I sure can. But.... and there is always a but... it probably takes me 20-30 seconds to figure out where to file the email, find the folder, then move it there. Multiply that by 200 emails on a busy day.... plus its a really annoying 20 seconds of scrolling through my ever growing folder collection. So, I think myself... self, how excellent would it be to read an email, hit a file it quick action button, and move on to the next! However, with 5 votes in, it looks like the many folder approach has a clear lead.

TesTeq likes this.
  4. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Assumptions:
    -- Average number of incoming emails per day = 200.
    -- Average time of filing an email in a topic folder = 25 seconds.
    -- Average time of filing an email in one big archive folder = 2 seconds.
    -- Average number of searched emails per day = 20.
    -- Average time of searching for an email in topic folders = 25 seconds.
    -- Average time of searching for an email in one big archive folder using search function = 60 seconds.

1. Filing in topic folders.
    -- Filing: 200 emails * 25 seconds = 5000 seconds/day.
    -- Searching: 20 emails * 25 seconds = 500 seconds/day.
    Total time: 5000 + 500 = 5500 seconds ~ 1 hour 32 minutes.

2. Filing in one big archive folder.
    -- Filing: 200 emails * 2 seconds = 400 seconds/day.
    -- Searching: 20 emails * 60 seconds = 1200 seconds/day.
    Total time: 400 + 1200 = 1600 seconds ~ 27 minutes.

5. Gardener

Gardener Registered

One more vote on big folder, and we'll have a tie!

However, I don't think that you can really choose a universal solution for this. How often do you use your emails for reference? How quickly do you need to find them when you do? What percentage of your emails are valuable for reference? Can you predict, ahead of time, which emails those are? Can you at least predict that some will not be useful? Are you nevertheless filing those types?

If there are types of emails NOT useful for reference, I certainly wouldn't bother separating these--I'd dump all of them into one big folder.

If there are types of emails that are critically useful for reference, but the volume is fairly low, I'd probably just take them out and put them in some other system.

If you could easily search all your emails if you could just remember what person is associated with what project, maybe you stop filing emails and maintain a cheat sheet of people's names associated with projects.

And so on. I think it's very dependent on the individual situation.

I meant to ask:

Can anyone point me to where it's addressed? (a section title, say?)

6. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

1 big folder here, I tried sorting into folders but the time is not worth it in the long run for me. What I may do is sort send into the same big reference folder to keep things in easy date sort order.

7. sesteph6

sesteph6 Registered

TesTeq... You and I did similar math on this question.

I think my challenge is I go to the COAO (Church of Allen Orthodox). I try not to over think GTD... if david says this is the best way to do, then I just tend to do it that way. He specifically addressed this question in the newer addition of the book. So... everytime I consider deviating, I think to myself, "have I really thought this through more than David and arrived at a different conclusion.... um... unlikely".

8. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

- "GTD 2015" book, Chapter 7 "Organizing: Setting Up the Right Buckets", section "The Variety of Reference Systems", page 173 (Kindle Edition)
    - "Getting Email Under Control" white paper

9. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

I copy threads of critical email conversations outside the email system into text or PDF files that are stored in the Project's reference folder.

10. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Remember that David was using Lotus Notes for email. Search function never worked in Lotus Notes, so email folders were the only option to find anything. ;-)

11. sesteph6

sesteph6 Registered

TesTeq... if Im ever in Poland.... I owe you a beer..... :)

TesTeq likes this.
  12. sesteph6

sesteph6 Registered

upload_2018-4-17_9-11-44.png

Here is my new folders view. ;)

13. Oogiem

Oogiem Registered

Very similar to mine, My additions are that I do have folders that sort out incoming mail into the 2 organizations where I am an officer, ads and news,Orders waiting and orders rcvd and 2 temporary folders for current ongoing projects. I also have reference folders for old e-mail lists that I was on because it's convenient to keep their messages in one place.

14. Gardener

Gardener Registered

Thanks!

Hmmm. I don't read this as David Allen saying that you SHOULD use multiple folders, just that most people do, and if you do, they shouldn't be nested. I may have misunderstood what was being said earlier in the thread.

Edited to add: Ah, no, I see. I still won't be filing, but, yes, I see.

Edited again to add: No, I take it back. What I see seems to be about getting things out of your Inbox, not filing it in multiple folders.

I'm going to stop editing-as-I-read now. :)

15. Michael Woods

Michael Woods Registered

I use multiple email folders by topic. I try to be consistent to how I would file them if they were paper (alphabetical order). When in doubt, I add a folder because it is usually easier to find when I am trying to track something down. I do clean up the list at least annually and remove folders that only have one item in them or are no longer needed.

My biggest challenge is with my Action Support/Waiting Support folders. I am not consistent about what I put in these folders. Sometimes I put the email in the Support folder and sometimes I put it in the reference file corresponding to the project. At least I have two possible places to look for it... Definitely room for improvement here.

16. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

I agree. David doesn't say that we should use multiple email folders but suggests that most people do. So some readers may interpret it as a "majority" recommendation. ;-) IMHO folders were necessary when a software search function was absent or weak (like in Lotus Notes).

17. TesTeq

TesTeq Registered

Great! Come to Poland! David was here several times and survived! ;-)