find the next best action

arrpok

Registered
hello ,

I have a question about Project monitoring.

I created a project "learn English"

from the desired result (to be able to speak exclusively in English abroad).

i find my first next action

1 search for learning tools

2 choose support

3 estimate the time needed (as it is level b1 it takes 400 hours).

then I do not know how to follow the project must I put each hour of work in next action? notice in my aganda? or review the project planning .

so I would like to know what is the ideal knowing that I was gone to record every hour of work in the following action until 400 hours to finish a level test .

I specify that I am reading gtd

mcogilvie

Registered
Finding tools to learn English which are effective for you is the first stage of your project, a sub-project. Your next actions might be things like going to a library or exploring tools online. You don’t have enough information to plan much further. In gtd, that’s ok: the emphasis is on project outcome and next actions.

arrpok

Registered
I thank you for your answer
but if I estimate that I have 600 hours of work and I mark the hours one by one in my next action.
I respect the method in this case?

mcogilvie

Registered
I thank you for your answer
but if I estimate that I have 600 hours of work and I mark the hours one by one in my next action.
I respect the method in this case?

This kind of time tracking is not part of GTD, and people use a variety of methods to track various things. You can put “lesson 3a” on a next action list or schedule it on your calendar. I do want to point out that 400 hours is slightLy more than an hour a day for a year, so we are talking about a major, long-term commitment.

TesTeq

Registered
This kind of time tracking is not part of GTD, and people use a variety of methods to track various things. You can put “lesson 3a” on a next action list or schedule it on your calendar. I do want to point out that 400 hours is slightLy more than an hour a day for a year, so we are talking about a major, long-term commitment.
For Elon Musk 400 hours are probably just one month of work (400/16=25 days). ;)

arrpok

Registered
So I have to break down my work if I want to follow it in the action list.
I use applications such as duolingo, or beelingapp so it seemed easier to estimate the average number of hours per level and finish my last action by a level test.
But the problem it poses is that there is no specific next action but rather a recurring action of 400 hours or 800 1/2 hours so it seems to me that it is in the agenda that I have to follow that.
So have projects running with no next action for a while that respect the method?
ps: I think that is perfectionism to be as much as possible in the method.

Gardener

Registered
So I have to break down my work if I want to follow it in the action list.
I use applications such as duolingo, or beelingapp so it seemed easier to estimate the average number of hours per level and finish my last action by a level test.
But the problem it poses is that there is no specific next action but rather a recurring action of 400 hours or 800 1/2 hours so it seems to me that it is in the agenda that I have to follow that.
So have projects running with no next action for a while that respect the method?
ps: I think that is perfectionism to be as much as possible in the method.

It looks like these are language learning applications. Are you saying that the application manages the study, so that there's really no opportunity for planning on your part?

In that case, it seems to me that this is a habit--not a habit that you'll follow forever, but one that you will follow for quite some time. So I could imagine having a short-term project "Form the habit of studying in Duolingo". That might involve getting the account, and experimenting with what time of day is the best time, perhaps clearing your calendar of competing activities, and establishing a repeating meeting with yourself. And then it's a habit, and I'm not sure if it needs an action, any more than "have lunch" has an action. It's not entirely unlike a "practice" habit for a musician.

Now, you might also add a tickler, maybe every month or every three months, for evaluating whether the effort is being successful and whether it still seems worthwile.

Tom_Hagen

Registered
hello ,

I have a question about Project monitoring.

I created a project "learn English"

I specify that I am reading gtd

I can write what works for me. I'm learning italian so I specified it as my aim. This aim consists of several projects. In your case it might be "Learn language at level A1" then "...A2" till "...Z99" ;).
Let's say that for reaching the level A1 you should learn 1000 words, listen to radio for 100 hours and watch 100 hours of tv + 10 basic topics of grammar. These can be your next actions like: 50 x Learn by heart 20 words of english or 100 x Listen to english radio for one hour.
If you want you can make "Learn language at level A1" your aim not a project. Then projects are: "Learn 1000 words..." and so on. Next actions are the same. It's a matter of structure rather. After completing A1 you can move to A2, etc. So IMHO you should start of defining aims, projects and then of gathering materials for the first project. Then you'll be able to define precise next actions.