• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Folder management in Outlook?

I've been using Outlook folders to file reference information for quite some time and I have a LOT of folders under my inbox now.

I also have an autoarchive rule that moves the contents of those folders to an offline folder.

As a result, I have a bunch of empty reference folders that I want to get rid of. I also have some reference folders in my offline archive that I no longer need.

Cleaning / purging all of this in Outlook is a pain - does anyone know of a good utility to use for this? I'd love something that works like Explorer or a program I use called PowerDesk - they allow me to browse folders and easily delete, move, rename and merge folders. That's very clunky in Outlook's native interface.

Any ideas?
 
Sorry if this is a repeat -- "Lookout" as an alternative

I've been using Lookout, a free piece of software that constructs an index for Outlook (and, optionally, for other folders on your computer), and will also index IMAP folders on a server. Since then, I've gotten rid of most of my folders and just search for what I want. Searching is really fast (a second or so), and it's changed the way I use Outlook.

You can find it at http://www.lookoutsoft.com/Lookout/download.html
 
Reference Material in Off-Line Folders

I am always hitting the upper limit of my inbox capacity so a long time ago I moved to storing all reference materials in my off-line archive. Stuff probably should be purged, but I usually just start a new archive .pst every year and burn the old one to a CD along with financial and tax records.

I use Google desktop to search for stuff and it works great.
 
Still got empties

Thanks for the advice. I used Outlook long ago, and have switched to MSN Desktop Search so I have the search part nailed.

Like jpm, I archive my messages regulary to deal with the space issues in my mailbox.

I'm still looking for a simple utility that looks for folders in Outlook that are empty, and gives me the ability to delete them. It would also need a feature that would allow me to flag certain folders as "Never Delete" (like my Inbox! When I get it empty, it shouldn't be deleted).
 
Top