Follower Blocks in filing cabinets

M

macronencer

Hi,

I recently got a filing cabinet second hand (I'm on a budget), and it's quite good, four-drawer, does the job.

Then, alas, I read the chapter in the book about filing, and noticed the bit about the metal dividers (follower blocks, I gather they are called).

My cabinet has none, and I can't see any special slots where they might be attached. Is there anything I can do? I could imagine a metal divider could be designed that would just clamp to the sides of the drawer, but I assume that the real McCoy would have a system for slotting in.

I'm hoping someone is going to say: "Yes, you can get follower blocks from blah blah priced blah that fit cabinets that weren't designed to have them"!

:)

Sflwrgirl

Registered
Use books

I've found that a couple paperback books or a number of magazines in the back of the cabinet do the trick. It's a kludge, but it works. If you use magazines, the drawer tends to be heavier, but you can adjust almost as precisely as with a follower block.

--Sara

M

macronencer

Hi Sara,

So now I know where to put those books and magazines I was going to throw out!

That's a great solution, thanks!

randystokes

Registered
Or, go to Staples or OfficeMax and get several of those metal bookends that are shaped like an L. The bottom part of the L faces forward, toward the end of your file drawer, and you can push the bookend as far forward as you need to to make your files stand up.

Randy Stokes
randystokes@cox.net

M

macronencer

That's interesting. How does the bookend stay put? Is it fixed somehow?

Ah, hang on - I see now. It rests against the back of the drawer. That's neat, I'll get some!

A

Anonymous

If you use 2 or 3 boxes of Kleenex you can remove them or reposition them as the drawer fills up. This is also a great place to hide and use of all those boxes of Girl Scout Cookies you so generously bought. If you ate yours already your local Girl Scout Council probably still has some!

X

xdg

I just started migrating my office hanging folders (side opening cabinet, ugh) to plain manila folders.

I also went with the trick of using metal bookends from an office supplies store. However, I'd recommend getting ones with magnetic bottoms, as it'll stick to the bottom of the drawer. It makes a perfect follower block for use in a hanging-file-style drawer and costs about $10 for two.

I use these from office depot.

xdg

J

jmarkey

I just finished my last box of Thin Mints last week. :cry: I need to put order more Girl Scout cookies in my tickler for next year...

CoachMike

Registered
xdg said:
I just started migrating my office hanging folders (side opening cabinet, ugh) to plain manila folders.

I also went with the trick of using metal bookends from an office supplies store. However, I'd recommend getting ones with magnetic bottoms, as it'll stick to the bottom of the drawer. It makes a perfect follower block for use in a hanging-file-style drawer and costs about $10 for two.

I use these from office depot.

xdg

This one is a great idea. Just ordered some for my office and my house!

M

macronencer

Magnetic bookends

I wish I could find these in a larger size. They look too small for non-hanging systems, I think the files would fall over them. :(

I think I'll keep collecting the freebie newspapers and piling them up in the back of the drawer - it's cheaper anyway!

CoachMike

Registered
I tried these and they work great. They are very heavy and they have a magnet to hold them in place. The files definitely do not fall over them.

M

macronencer

Oh yes, I just re-read your post more carefully, and it does say that you were using non-hanging files - sorry!

OK, thanks for the tip - I'll try and find someone who sells these. So far, no luck, but somebody must sell them (I'm in England).