For starters: create a physical inbox right now!

Matheusbritoo

Registered
I am a engineering student and I work in a dam design office. My life is full o papers and stuff that I receive all day. I have drawings, technical specifications, professor handouts, syllabus and a lot of other stuff.
As I am starting gtd, I just managed to get one physical inbox at work. And OMG what a life changing experience.
It's so mind settling to know that the things that I have to remember, or not, is in one delimited space and I will treat this material eventually.

So shout-out to everyone that is starting and get an inbox asap

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Well done, you are experiencing is the bliss of a trusted system. Granted, the system itself is very rudimentary, probably the roughest and most basic form of a trusted system you will get, but it has the "hard edges" DA talks about in his work.

You can trust your system, because it is "capture complete", it has a clear boundary of when something is "in the system" and when this is not the case. It is flexible enough to receive any input - well, I guess you could destroy your system by slamming a whole wardrobe on it, but for all practical purposes it takes "everything".

Matheusbritoo

Registered
Well done, you are experiencing is the bliss of a trusted system. Granted, the system itself is very rudimentary, probably the roughest and most basic form of a trusted system you will get, but it has the "hard edges" DA talks about in his work.

You can trust your system, because it is "capture complete", it has a clear boundary of when something is "in the system" and when this is not the case. It is flexible enough to receive any input - well, I guess you could destroy your system by slamming a whole wardrobe on it, but for all practical purposes it takes "everything".

I agree with everything you said and I'm trying hard to trust 100% in my system. I'm just here to share my amusement

Geeko

GTD since 2017
I agree with everything you said and I'm trying hard to trust 100% in my system. I'm just here to share my amusement

Trust is actually most important when it comes to GTD systems. You have to trust your system enough to be able to forget about things because you know, your system will remind you just at the right time. And it is important to understand that trust isn’t something you can build overnight. You did it just the right way: start with something small, build trust in it, then add something else, build trust in that and so on.
This will take some time but in the end you’ll have a system which you truly trust.
I wish you the best on your way there. Keep us informed :)

Cheers,
Tristan

Rostane

Registered
Would you have multiple physical 'inboxes' (office, car, home) then carry papers around to put them in one box ?
Or leave each inbox where it belongs?