Formats for Next Actions List

Jon Walthour

Registered
Thanks for the insights into paper and keeping the connections. I've been struggling lately with my system, having used OmniFocus now for quite a while--I think while it was still in beta. I'm hitting some uncomfortable spots with it, though (Someday/Maybe lists, project templates, collection sorts of lists like "Books to read", "Gift ideas", etc.). So, I've been tracking down two paths--looking at other systems that are more rooted in an online Office 2.0 approach (e.g., Nozbe, Toodledo, etc.) while also hearing DA's words over and over in the podcasts "more people are going retro" to paper. Paper, the ultimate in flexibility. But, being a computer geek, I've also liked the digital experience of having that cross-reference between the horizontal of contexts and the vertical of projects. I can layout a project plan with an outcome defined and a series of NAs and OmniFocus feeds them to me in my lists automatically. But with the perks of digital come the constraints of the application and how it works. Sorry, I'm rambling my thoughts out here. Thanks again for the insights. I'll continue to walk with this project for awhile.

saroccer

Registered
I really liked Omnifocus (I used it while beta). It was great for organization (flagging for prioritizing, next action lists that can be organized by contexts). I didn't like learning the short-cuts, but that was laziness on my part. I think an hour or two of immersing myself in it would have been enough.

My main issue was that I did not have a printer or electricity on a regular basis (living in a developing country) - so I did not have easy and constant access to the documents or a way of easily inputting my 'next actions' from my capture tool.

While I live in the west now (and no longer have printer/electricity issues), it is still easier for review and capturing for me. I also find that I can do mini-reviews on the bus. Having pages dedicated to projects, checklists, calendar and next actions all in one place has helped ALOT.

I do find that I have tried to mimic the OmniFocus formatting in my notebook. If I ever went digital, I'd definitely use their system.

My next step is to fine-tune my horizon-goals and incorporating them more fully in my weekly reviews. I feel like this will be an incredibly powerful step in my life.

Jon Walthour

Registered
saroccer;65570 said:
While I live in the west now (and no longer have printer/electricity issues), it is still easier for review and capturing for me. I also find that I can do mini-reviews on the bus. Having pages dedicated to projects, checklists, calendar and next actions all in one place has helped ALOT.

I do find that I have tried to mimic the OmniFocus formatting in my notebook. If I ever went digital, I'd definitely use their system.

My next step is to fine-tune my horizon-goals and incorporating them more fully in my weekly reviews. I feel like this will be an incredibly powerful step in my life.

I don't mean to put words in your mouth (so, correct me if I'm wrong), but it sounds like you're saying one reason you don't go digital right now is because paper gives you so much more flexibility with everything "all in one place". Is that another advantage of paper over digital: you can have it just the way you want all in one place?

On a side note, I've just been finishing up my "shitty first draft" of my Horizons of Focus (20,000 to 50,000) and I can tell you that, for me, it has been an incredibly power step. Sorting out my deeper issues, values, visions for my life, etc. has been immensely insightful for me in understanding who I am in the larger context of everything.

saroccer

Registered
Jon, that's exactly right. Having my lists together in one place (though i don't have my project support folders with me) is the primary reason why I have a paper-based system. As a matter of fact, I just did a review on the bus this morning.

I am realizing that I have to do more than a weekly review, or it won't happen at all.

Also, writing things down helps me remember them better than when I typed it it in the Omnifocus system. A quirk of mine I guess.

Thanks for giving me your horizon's info. I would like to read more about other's experiences about this exercise. I have a crappy first draft from 50k to 30k, but nothing on the 'areas of focus' yet. I'd like to find a way to incorporate the horizons check regularly in my reviews, at least more frequently at the start. I say yes to many worthwhile projects that I end up not honoring because it's not part of what I 'really want to do'. I think that a review of my purpose and core values before committing to projects would help me to say no.

clango

Registered
saroccer;65585 said:
I think that a review of my purpose and core values before committing to projects would help me to say no.

This is exactly the purpose of the horizon of focus. I had, personally, a really big effective impact on this approach after I read the recent "Making it all work" book. As you had perceived if you have the different horizons of focus you know better what is your right way. When I read the first two times GTD I had not the same effect. May be it's influenced by the bottom-top approach. Since you cannot manage your daily activities you cannot have a look around you!

Jon Walthour

Registered
saroccer;65585 said:
Jon, that's exactly right. Having my lists together in one place (though i don't have my project support folders with me) is the primary reason why I have a paper-based system. As a matter of fact, I just did a review on the bus this morning.

Fantastic. I am getting more and more encouraged to take the plunge to paper. I, too, use OmniFocus and my biggest problem is just getting a sense of the whole. I've tried David's "DA World" mindmap idea, but it's not having the same effect for me--seems more of a chore to keep up than something that provides clarity and perspective.

I am realizing that I have to do more than a weekly review, or it won't happen at all.

Me, too. I'm beginning to do daily "mini" reviews at the end of the day to just go over the day and take a peek at tomorrow.

Also, writing things down helps me remember them better than when I typed it it in the Omnifocus system. A quirk of mine I guess.

I share that quirk. If I write it down, I'm much more likely to remember it and, if I see it, the context surrounding it comes into focus as well. Like you, keys and type on the screen just aren't the same.

Thanks for giving me your horizon's info. I would like to read more about other's experiences about this exercise. I have a crappy first draft from 50k to 30k, but nothing on the 'areas of focus' yet. I'd like to find a way to incorporate the horizons check regularly in my reviews, at least more frequently at the start. I say yes to many worthwhile projects that I end up not honoring because it's not part of what I 'really want to do'. I think that a review of my purpose and core values before committing to projects would help me to say no.

In MIAW and in some of the podcasts I've been listening to, there seems to be suggestion among DAC coaches and DA himself to review Areas of Focus about every 6 weeks to 2 months, goals quarterly and vision and purpose & principles annually. At least that's the schedule I'm trying to follow.

And, yes, having a more conscious awareness of my horizons does indeed provide the perspective to say "no" when what is being asked is out of alignment with my larger altitudes. I hope you find a similar experience in your own journey.