Formula for Happiness

KMT

GTD Connect
Hi Everyone,
I just came across a cheat sheet for Happiness and am sharing with you. I have been practising GTD forever it seems now and recognise that crossing off tasks are only part of the equation really. As David Allen says, Getting Things Done is not about Getting Things Done ;-)

And so our GTD Weekly Review is also part of the equation when it comes to refreshing our mind.

Mind Like Water doesn't just come by playing whack-a-mole with your task list.

As you will see in the attached poster thanks to Sumbu, completing a task only gives us one happy chemical.

So tell us what are you doing for getting the other 3 happy chemicals and to refresh your mind?

Attachments

Last edited:

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
This is very nice! Yes, we tend to get to caught up in our contexts, how many actions we complete, whose system is better or not following GTD to the letter, etc. It all comes down to time allocation and doing what matters to you. Pretty simple, really. Yes, embrace the principles of GTD, have a trusted system, but actually now use that free space in your mind to be creative and do what really is important to you and others in your field. Protect your time - time block your calendar. That is fine and becomes part of your hard landscape.

KMT

GTD Connect
This is very nice! Yes, we tend to get to caught up in our contexts, how many actions we complete, whose system is better or not following GTD to the letter, etc. It all comes down to time allocation and doing what matters to you. Pretty simple, really. Yes, embrace the principles of GTD, have a trusted system, but actually now use that free space in your mind to be creative and do what really is important to you and others in your field. Protect your time - time block your calendar. That is fine and becomes part of your hard landscape.
Agree the cognitive space with GTD allows us to do all the other things. :)

mcogilvie

Registered
As you will see in the attached poster thanks to Sumbu, completing a task only gives us one happy chemical.

So tell us what are you doing for getting the other 3 happy chemicals and to refresh your mind?
I like the poster’s desire for balance, but I think the popular connection of different neurotransmitters with different mental states both exaggerates and oversimplifies what we know. (My wife is a neurobiologist, so I hear this all the time.) For example, both LSD and cocaine act on dopamine and serotonin pathways, but have quite different effects on mental states. Oxytocin may be associated with love but it also induces delivery in pregnant women.

KMT

GTD Connect
I like the poster’s desire for balance, but I think the popular connection of different neurotransmitters with different mental states both exaggerates and oversimplifies what we know. (My wife is a neurobiologist, so I hear this all the time.) For example, both LSD and cocaine act on dopamine and serotonin pathways, but have quite different effects on mental states. Oxytocin may be associated with love but it also induces delivery in pregnant women.
Yes good point and I think if we take it as naturally balancing these chemicals in the most simplest of ways it can be useful.

treelike

Registered
Maybe an imbalance in these chemicals is an appropriate response to the world we have created for ourselves and the goal should be to fix the root cause rather than focus on happiness.

On the other hand maybe the world situation is so beyond our control that we should indeed focus on our personal happiness instead of wasting time trying to fix things.

Or a mix of both (what's the mix?)