• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

From Your head, to inbox, to next action to ????

DariusOpperman;92670 said:
So my suggested solution for my own predicament is that once I think of something, write it down and process it I should double check to see if it is not part of a current project and if it is, where does it fall in, then put it in the project steps etc. where it belongs. But if it is not a necessary step in that project at that time why then have a next action for it. What is your thoughts on this?

The other scenario is that once I think of something that should be part of a project which I have not yet started I believe I should do as follows. Once I process that 'stuff' I check to see if it is part of a project, if not and if it should be a complete project then (Aha now I thought of it!!!:D) you should complete the project as you believe it should happen step by step and then only put the first step down as a next action for that project.

First point - yes, definitely I always check if the new 'stuff' is part of or related to an existing project. I find this is where having a complete project list is most helpful, if nothing comes to mind immediately a quick scan of the list should help identify any relevant projects (although if your project list doesn't change frequently you start to memorise it just by reviewing it frequently).
I keep my project plans in Word, all my ideas, including possible, future, and someday maybe actions are stored there. So I can just process the stuff directly into my Word file, identify the next action if there is one and put that on my list.

Secondly, if I identify a new project I like to do two things straightaway - setup the project plan in Word, and put in a next action. I keep a separate Word file that has all the headings created by me, so I can just copy and paste the new project section into the my planning document (I have one Word document per AOF, so each project is a new Heading 1). Then I'll process whatever stuff I have into that plan, identify any next actions that occur to me now, including 'plan project XYZ'. I usually find that going through the natural planning process is at least 20-30mins so I don't do that straightaway, it's usually an action on my list for later.

With regards to project size, this seems to vary greatly from person to person, I would have 'renovate home' as one project. My rule of thumb is one project = 1 natural planning model plan. I do break projects into sub-projects, I have fairly detailed plans, use Gantt charts, and my work projects are large also. If your work is often lots of little projects, then plan smaller ones. Try it a few different ways and see what works for you.
 
Top