• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Future NAs - how to avoid looking at them?

Say, I have a NA that will be done in four months time. If I enter it in a NA list, it means that I will invariably look at it every day and every week when I do the daily and weekly reviews respectively. How do you tackle such a problem, given that one may have many such future NAs to handle?
 
Depends on your tools

It all depends on the tools you are using to implement GTD.

If you use Outlook, LB, Bonsai, etc you can create a filter on the date field.

If you have a paper system, you could put it in your tickler file.
 
Good use for tickler or calendar

DoingIt said:
Say, I have a NA that will be done in four months time. If I enter it in a NA list, it means that I will invariably look at it every day and every week when I do the daily and weekly reviews respectively. How do you tackle such a problem, given that one may have many such future NAs to handle?

When I have these, I simply put "Add XYZ on my NA list" on that day in Outlook. Nice and simple.
 
DoingIt said:
Say, I have a NA that will be done in four months time. If I enter it in a NA list, it means that I will invariably look at it every day and every week when I do the daily and weekly reviews respectively. How do you tackle such a problem, given that one may have many such future NAs to handle?

For me there are 2 ways...

If the project is waiting for that N/A, therefore in hold for 9 months, I move the project to SM and add a note in my tickler file 2 or 3 days before...

If the project is moving or will be moving for the next months, I keep my project active and trow a note in my tickler file...

In conclusion, the future NA will be moved to my tickler file since will not happened soon enough to keep track of that.
 
Top