• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

get better organized - plan future actions /how to do it ?

PierrotBel

Registered
Hello,


Sometimes, when I have a task to do, I have trouble organizing and anticipating.
More clearly, I can't say to myself "here is my request, is it better that I do it myself or will I have a problem that will make me have to answer to others?"
Too often, I find myself delegating a little too late and I find myself doing a lot on my own. Indeed, when I delegate, I sometimes have to find the right person and I often say to myself out of spite "I'll do it directly" when I find myself facing obstacles.
What to do, when a request arrives, to qualify it quickly: what to do?
How to note it on your to-do list

Example: get out the turnover for the past year for a certain number of customers For this evening except that a technical bug prevents access to this list only while by taking me in advance, I would have solved the problem
What can I do ? Thanks
 
It sounds like to me you are not breaking out these items into a project. Anything that takes more than one step, unless completely self evident and not needed to be broken out, is a project. So perhaps there are a few different steps in your ”task” create a series of next actions:
  1. Contact Person X to assist with resolving technical issue
  2. Perform Y task
  3. Email result to appropriate person

Something to that effect. In this case #1 might be a call or an email context depending on scenario. #2 is (in my system) a waiting for tag so it is deffered until that person responds. If it is someone i meet with regularly I also apply their agenda tag. So lets say its waiting for Mike, by applying both tags if I meet with Mike and I select him in my agenda’s list I can review the status of this deferred action. Once he resolves his task (#1) I can perform #2. After that is done I perform #3 and project is complete.
 
Top