• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

goals, projects and routine next actions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
Interesting... I've never read anything from Hyrum Smith (something I'll soon be correcting), but I must admit that when I first encountered Covey's books, I thought the material was only so-so in terms of practicality. Attempts to actually apply the 7 Habits did very little for me. I've also listened to a few Steve Covey audio programs, and I didn't find his speaking particularly inspiring. His observations to me seemed mostly a long-winded summation of the obvious. I sort of wondered why he appeared to be so successful and what practical, measurable results people got from his work.

GTD on the other hand, was something I found to be IMMENSELY practical. It presents a complete system and explains exactly how to use it, not just the high-level concepts. I probably got better real-life results from GTD than from any other similar book.
 
Steve Pavlina said:
Interesting... I've never read anything from Hyrum Smith (something I'll soon be correcting), but I must admit that when I first encountered Covey's books, I thought the material was only so-so in terms of practicality. Attempts to actually apply the 7 Habits did very little for me. I've also listened to a few Steve Covey audio programs, and I didn't find his speaking particularly inspiring. His observations to me seemed mostly a long-winded summation of the obvious. I sort of wondered why he appeared to be so successful and what practical, measurable results people got from his work.

Steve,

I think that you'll really like Hyrum Smith's work. I have to say that his "10 Natural Laws" is right up there in terms of quality and practicality. It's definitely one of my Top 5 "productivity" reads, and I constantly find myself referring back to this book. His latter works (written since the Covey merger) are not nearly as good.

Jim
 
Top