goals, projects and routine next actions

S

Steve Pavlina

Interesting... I've never read anything from Hyrum Smith (something I'll soon be correcting), but I must admit that when I first encountered Covey's books, I thought the material was only so-so in terms of practicality. Attempts to actually apply the 7 Habits did very little for me. I've also listened to a few Steve Covey audio programs, and I didn't find his speaking particularly inspiring. His observations to me seemed mostly a long-winded summation of the obvious. I sort of wondered why he appeared to be so successful and what practical, measurable results people got from his work.

GTD on the other hand, was something I found to be IMMENSELY practical. It presents a complete system and explains exactly how to use it, not just the high-level concepts. I probably got better real-life results from GTD than from any other similar book.

jkgrossi

Registered
Steve Pavlina said:
Interesting... I've never read anything from Hyrum Smith (something I'll soon be correcting), but I must admit that when I first encountered Covey's books, I thought the material was only so-so in terms of practicality. Attempts to actually apply the 7 Habits did very little for me. I've also listened to a few Steve Covey audio programs, and I didn't find his speaking particularly inspiring. His observations to me seemed mostly a long-winded summation of the obvious. I sort of wondered why he appeared to be so successful and what practical, measurable results people got from his work.

Steve,

I think that you'll really like Hyrum Smith's work. I have to say that his "10 Natural Laws" is right up there in terms of quality and practicality. It's definitely one of my Top 5 "productivity" reads, and I constantly find myself referring back to this book. His latter works (written since the Covey merger) are not nearly as good.

Jim