Goals vs Mission

C

Cikub

"Stop obsessing on goals and focus on mission."
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/85/mgoldsmith.html

I thought this was interesting. I find from time to time that I have projects in my lists that I simply want to complete because I made a goal of it at one time. And, darn it! I want to achieve my goals! Or at least I want to be able to tell myself that I'm an achiever of goals.

Where do you draw the line between determined accomplisher of goals that might have little value in the end and a wishy-washy butterfly that flits from one temporary interest to another without actually accomplishing chosen objectives?

C

T

Tornado

Goals vs. Mission

Cikub,

Thanks for posting the article.

I have also noticed lately that many organizations expect people to take on more and more projects. The problem is that at some point there are too many projects for the person to do any of them well. To make things even worse, many people are also very good at doing this to themselves. At its core, I believe that this problem is frequently a variation of what the article is talking about, an obssession with goals even to the detriment of the ultimate mission. If the focus is to accomplish the mission, some goals, even worthwhile ones, may have to be delayed or dropped to guarantee success.

David