• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Goals vs Mission

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cikub
  • Start date Start date
C

Cikub

Guest
"Stop obsessing on goals and focus on mission."
http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/85/mgoldsmith.html

I thought this was interesting. I find from time to time that I have projects in my lists that I simply want to complete because I made a goal of it at one time. And, darn it! I want to achieve my goals! Or at least I want to be able to tell myself that I'm an achiever of goals.

Where do you draw the line between determined accomplisher of goals that might have little value in the end and a wishy-washy butterfly that flits from one temporary interest to another without actually accomplishing chosen objectives?

C
 
Goals vs. Mission

Cikub,

Thanks for posting the article.

I have also noticed lately that many organizations expect people to take on more and more projects. The problem is that at some point there are too many projects for the person to do any of them well. To make things even worse, many people are also very good at doing this to themselves. At its core, I believe that this problem is frequently a variation of what the article is talking about, an obssession with goals even to the detriment of the ultimate mission. If the focus is to accomplish the mission, some goals, even worthwhile ones, may have to be delayed or dropped to guarantee success.

David
 
Top