Granularity of next actions

manynothings

Registered
Hello,

How detailed should next actions be? For example, if I have a task "Check functionality of updated apps" that I do after a software update, would it be better to have next action for each app, or just an umbrella next action? How would you recommend people handle this?

Thanks,

manynothings.

mcogilvie

Registered
Good question, and a good example to look at. The master answer is that you need to write your next actions so that they are off your mind- you’ve captured your thoughts in sufficient detail to proceed when you are able to do so. This plays out in different ways depending on the complexity of the task or project. Suppose you are doing a simple bug fix on an isolated and non-fatal problem in a low-use environment. Maybe you just check that the fix is working as intended. Single next action. Perhaps the changes are more extensive but you have a good sense of what to check because you are the expert. Then maybe you just need something like “Begin testing bug fix” to get the ball rolling. In that case, you have cascading next actions- each next action picks up where the last one stopped. On the other hand, maybe you are dealing with significant structural changes which need extensive testing. In that case, you essentially have a subproject. A checklist can be a very useful way to plan and document your testing. Finally, if the project is big enough, you might have an automated test suite that you use all the time to prevent regressions, so you’re going to run it, but you might need to update the test suite. So really, there are different tactics you can use depending on the cognitive burden required to get to the desired outcome. Hope that’s clear enough to help.

dtj

Registered
I think thats heavily dependent on what "check functionality of updated apps" means. If it's just a smoke test for each thing to make sure it still comes up, that's probably good for a single NA, but if there's more complexity, or is more time consuming, than a breakdown probably makes sense. It might be that you break it down into high and low priority groups of apps to check. If you spend more time counting beans that eating beans, that should be a sign. :)

TesTeq

Registered
Hello,

How detailed should next actions be? For example, if I have a task "Check functionality of updated apps" that I do after a software update, would it be better to have next action for each app, or just an umbrella next action? How would you recommend people handle this?

Thanks,

manynothings.
@manynothings 4 years ago I've developed Next Action granularity formula.

Here is a link to this GTD Forum post: Dec 25, 2018

TruthWK

Registered
my go to lately has been based off context. If something can all be done in one context, it can just be a next action regardless of complexity or size. If it requires tasks in different contexts, it's a project. This has worked well because I have very complex work tasks that are all done in one context so separating the next action to a different list adds more work. I keep open loops inside the task notes in an outline format and use the whole task as my next action on a larger project. On the other hand, tasks that involve communicating with others or going somewhere for part of it I like to break up as a project so i can keep next actions in their right context list. My contexts for perspective are Home, Computer, Work, Anywhere, Calls, and Errands.

ivanjay205

Registered
Hello,

Thanks,

manynothings.
I find that periodically I start getting lazy... For example our annual holiday party is coming up and I have to write awards speeches. Out of sheer laziness and not doing the write thing I did setup a project which included

1. Select Recipients of Awards
2. Research Awards to Buy
3. Ask Marketing to Purchase Awards
4. Write Speeches
5. Print Speeches for Award Issuance

So #1-3 were okay. I got to #4 and the road block hit me real hard..... Because writing speeches means I am writing crappy generic speeches. I need to break this down:

1. Brainstorm talking points for each recipient
2. Bullet overarching theme of each award
3. Write First Draft of Speech (using my notes from above)
4. Review and tweak Speech to create Draft 2

In doing this I do some of the thinking about the content first. Writing speeches is a daunting task. Might take me 2 hours and it will be crappy. but brainstorming talking points for each recipient (and I would make that literally one next action for each recipient) might take 5-10 minutes per recipient and I can do them in different pockets of time and keep the project moving forward.

So long story to answer your question. I find that breaking down the next actions helps to move them. 99% of the time my procrastination comes in when I set a task too ambiguous and not specific enough.

cfoley

Registered

I would pause and think. What functionality needs to be tested? Is it worth writing a checklist? Does each app need its own checklist?

Then I would think about what next action is more likely to motivate me. I have found over time that the smallest reasonable action causes the least resistance in me. In this case I might choose the first checklist item from the first app as my next action.

When I get round to doing, I might work through more than just that one item. When I stop, all I would write down is the next checkbox item that I intend to do. For me the next action is just a bookmark in my project.