• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Grouping related projects within a TO DO category in Palm?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
It really helps me to see related projects together, so I have my projects categorized in Palm's TO DO. But, within a category I can't seem to control where a project appears on the list relative to another one. So with thtiry projects in that one category, I spend a lot of time searching. For example, one of my categories is Offices since I am cleaning out and redesigning three offices. Each office has about 10 projects related to its re-design. Am I missing something? Maybe I just better hurry up and add on an additional program.
 
Re: Grouping related projects within a TO DO category in Pal

You could use the priorities to group, with 5 levels available. Of course then you couldn't use the value to indicate priority, but that might not matter.

Or you could use a first character (or abbreviation) for each To-do so they will sort themselves into logical groups.

Or you could use more powerful software. :-)

-andersons
 
3rd Software could help....

These are the limitations of Palms implementation of a todo-list. It is very weak and these people seem to have less todos (...hmm) :wink: But you could use some efficent 3rd software.
1) A software based on the same database and therefore immediately integrated in all syncs is cando from www.elkasoft.com.
2) Use a Outlinetool, Very powerful shadow from www.codejedi.com. But needs time to discover how to use best.
3) Also a good idea is bonsai from www.natara.com. Less options then shadow but has a better PC Application and has the oprtunity to im/export with mindmanager from mindjet.

I would recommend you to start with 1).

I use 1) and 2)

BR
 
Re: Grouping related projects within a TO DO category in Pal

Jamie Elis said:
It really helps me to see related projects together, so I have my projects categorized in Palm's TO DO. But, within a category I can't seem to control where a project appears on the list relative to another one.

I assign a 4 digit project number to each of my projects. Any entry I make in the Palm--to do, memo, etc.--that's related to that project includes that project number. E.g. I have a project "Upgrade Production Computers" with project number 0058. A to-do associated with that project would look like:

[0058] Download Quark Xpress 6.5 Update

Hope that helps.

Ken
 
FWIW, I have been using Bonsai, Cando and Pop! for almost a year and am very satisfied. I use Bonsai to set up projects under "life focus areas" and tasks and next actions as children of projects. All tasks are assigned context using Pop! to ensure standardization, e.g. @call, @office... and all NA's get linked to the palm todo.

Categories are projects, tasks, NA, successful outcome, role, focus area, S/M project and projects in planning. Project and NA categories are color coded so I can filter on the two and see immediately which projects lack NA's.

Using Cando to view NA's, I can set a "view" to show items filtered on text, so I can view all items which contain @office or @home or @call to see NA's by context. This way, I just select a alreay defined "view" and whamo, all the items with a specific context are shown. I don't really use the categories in todo applications.

The only thing I really miss is having a way to print out my calendar with tasks, e.g. daytimer format, so I can do some creative on paper thinking.

Hope this is helpful,
Dwight...
 
Top