GTD and establishing better mental focus

Paul@Pittsburgh

Registered
I was wondering if others have used GTD to establish better thinking habits. For example, in terms of eliminating negative self talk, or seeking to establish better habits of focusing on the outcome before beginning a task - have others used GTD as a way to proactively track and establish such habits?

Paul

Brent

Registered
Yes. When I read advice that I want to burn into my brain, I print it out in condensed form and put it into my tickler. When it comes out of the tickler and I read it, I put it back into my tickler for a few days/weeks/months hence, depending on how often I've read it.

I've defined and deepened many of my opinions on business and marketing this way. There's a lot of stuff that I agreed with, but didn't internalize until I used my tickler to bang those concepts deeper into my brain.

moises

Registered
Brent;43990 said:
Yes. When I read advice that I want to burn into my brain, I print it out in condensed form and put it into my tickler. When it comes out of the tickler and I read it, I put it back into my tickler for a few days/weeks/months hence, depending on how often I've read it.

I've defined and deepened many of my opinions on business and marketing this way. There's a lot of stuff that I agreed with, but didn't internalize until I used my tickler to bang those concepts deeper into my brain.

In my electronic calendar, I do something similar. I have some motivational quotes. David mentioned that we all go numb to quotes we see everyday, for example, those posted on the refrigerator.

So I will put my quotes as recurring all-day appointments and schedule them for the 3rd Thursday of every month, for example. That way, when I see them, they look fresh and relatively unexpected.

mcogilvie

Registered
Paul@Pittsburgh;43975 said:
I was wondering if others have used GTD to establish better thinking habits. For example, in terms of eliminating negative self talk, or seeking to establish better habits of focusing on the outcome before beginning a task - have others used GTD as a way to proactively track and establish such habits?

Paul

If you think about it, GTD is the embodiment of those habits.

J

jasonpace

Establishing Better Thinking Habits

Great question Paul. The Human Race feels 'ya.

I think GTD makes tracking things easy. Perhaps we could also use it to set an action, say meditation, that would help us minimize negative self-talk and put ourselves into a more relaxed, positive state. Nice.

Getting to the heart of the matter, I think, is beyond the scope of GTD. In my experience, I have generally found that we all have a deeply held set of beliefs and perspectives about ourselves, others, and the world we live in that drive our every thought and action.

Shine sweet freedom: The belief we have may not be the truth - it may just be a version of the truth among many other possibilities.

What if every negative thing we believe about ourselves is wrong?

Regards,

Jason Pace