• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

GTD and Evernote: moving from Projects to Actions

Ian Matthews

Registered
Hi. I am trying to set up a Getting Things Done system using Evernote (setting up on my Mac) and I am getting unstuck on one aspect.

If I create a note for a project then list all the things that need to be done for that project in that note, it seems that I need to manually duplicate the entry of all those things into the relevant context notebook (e.g. calls, waiting for etc). This seems to double up the amount of time I spend noting down all the steps of a project - am I missing something?

Thanks so much for your help!
 
Hi there. Yes, if you are listing out all of the next actions in the note field (typically called project notes/plans/future actions), then you will need to copy those over to the relevant Notebook/List when they become current next actions. Given Evernote is not a traditional list manager, it's clunkier than most with the flow of this. We talk about some ways to manage all of that in the Evernote Guides.
 
Hi Ian,
I have faced the simialr issue as well. I do create separate notes for each point in the project, then use tags for each note. It is easier to search and group tasks using the tags.
 
Top